Who here has broken a finger?

NinjaBlack

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know that no one likes the injury threads but this is more of a recovery question. I went to the doctor about 4-5 weeks ago and they x-rayed my finger, told me it was broken, splinted it and I was on my way. It was injured around the joint right below the knuckle on my ring finger. I've followed all doctors instructions and the finger is significantly less painful, but I regaining ROM in that finger is taking longer than I expected.

I know there is 10,000,000 ways to break a finger, but has anyone else had ROM problems after splinting their finger for a long time, and what did you do to fix it? Just exercise it and keep it moving? If I leave it unsplinted for around 4-5 hours or so it begins to become stiff to the point where it hurts to make the finger straight. I'm not sure if it's because I'm babying it too much now that the bone itself is healed or if there might be some type of ligament injury.

I'm not overly worried about it, in fact I'm competing in a grappling tournament on Sunday, I just would like to see if anyone else has gone through something similar and how much time it took to regain full ROM. This can help me in deciding how long I might want to wait before I head back to the doctor.

I have a fractured finger in the same location right now. What I do is stretch it when I wake up like a muscle. I kind of cup it in my other hand and slowly make it into a fist. Has been working for me so far. I am coming up on 2 months with the injury now. Fingers can take a long time to heal.

ARMY doctors don't really do anything to help so I have been rehabbing it on my own. D-bags never even gave me so much as tylenol.

*snap*

I do! What do I win?

There are no muscles in your fingers - they're all bone and ligaments, which never receive much blood and so the timescale for healing is usually several months. There's not much you can do besides gentle stretching. If you're grappling just tape it to your middle finger. They share the same muscle anyway you shouldn't really lose any strength or dexterity for your tourney.

i was playing goal-keeper [soccer] in school wen iw as 17
messing around before pratice and someone took a shot and i tried to palm it down and it hit my ring finger on my right hand square on

fucking killed and went purple and like 3 times as wide in like minutes
got it ex-rayed and i had little bone particles floating round inside my hand

i had it in a sling to keep it help to my chest and it was bount to my middle finger but that shit got anoying
so after like a few days i left it bopnd but took it out of the stupid sling
fucking killed when i held it down and all the blood rushed
but if you keep trying to bend it, over and over then after a while its so stiff and goes back to normal faster

Never broke any of my fingers, but have sprained both of thumbs and different fingers multiple times from basketball, either from colliding head on with a ball or someone's palm reaching in. Matter of fact, both of my thumbs are pretty wonky and sore all the time even though they haven't been sprained in about 4 months.

Like Revok said, I'd attribute this to a lack of circulation in the fingers.

I have broken and dislocated every finger many, many times from wrestling. It is just part of the sport. After a break or major dislocation, I have found the best thing to do is alternate extreme cold and extreme heat in the finger. Why? It is the best way to get a pump action to both bring in new blood supply and flush out edema. You cant exactly do much ROM in a finger that would bring about significant pumping. The other thing many of the wrestlers do is use parafin wax, then ice.

two of the fingers i have broken have never got full rom back but thats prob due to not resting em properly. if it doesnt hurt to train then go for it but be careful of the problems it could cause later on in life.

You might have to prepare yourself for never regaining full ROM. I broke my middle finger around the joint one year ago, and I haven't improved my ROM from about 60% for the last 6 months. It seems it does'nt get any better than this. My surgeon also informed me of this, but I kinda thought that if I did plenty of stretching and exersizes I would be as good as new.

It still hurts when I try to make a fist, and my finger sticks out from the rest when I do it. However, one thing that helps is to warm it up with hot water and stretching before exersizing. I do this before I lift and box, as making a fist in boxing is quite essential :)

When I do this,I get to about 80% ROM.

Anyways, as rehab you should regulary squeese shit, stretch alot and use hot/cold water to rinse out the waste and get the blood flowing.

Joint problems dont' go away..your question is unclear, as to definitive "what do I do for X" but, my elbow, knee and 3 fingers still cause me troubles from breakages :)

I imagine with whatever "standard" movement you are trying to achieve, do some physical therapy / repetitive motions daily on that movement, and avoid movements which you deem outside the realm of "normalcy" and adjust yourself physically.

Thanks for the responses... When I spoke to the sports doctor he gave me the feeling my finger may never LOOK the same, but would most likely not hold me back in grappling once healed. I have also found that hot water helps me move the finger much more and causes less pain- similar to what was said here and in other threads, but what a bummer it is to know that my finger may bother me forever! If I regain 100% ROM within the next couple months I will try to dig this thread up and update.

Maybe I can give broken fingers everywhere hope that a full recovery is possible!

Thanks for the responses... When I spoke to the sports doctor he gave me the feeling my finger may never LOOK the same, but would most likely not hold me back in grappling once healed.

"I'm sorry, but your dreams of being an aspiring hand model are done now."

"I'm sorry, but your dreams of being an aspiring hand model are done now."

I lol'd. I hope I got the right reference haha.

"I'm a hand model, mama. A finger jockey. We think differently than the face and body boys... we're a different breed. "

I lol'd. I hope I got the right reference haha.

"I'm a hand model, mama. A finger jockey. We think differently than the face and body boys... we're a different breed. "

"Rufus, Brint, and Meekus were like brothers to me. And when I say brother, I don

I broke my ring finger in the same place in a wrestling match in highschool. it snapped to a complete right angle and overlapped my pinky. They snapped it back in place right there on the mat. to this day it's still a little deformed and hurts. but that's the name of the game. suck it up.

Sorry, man. I broke someone else's finger/knuckles last night but not my own(so far. Touch wood).

Keep in mind breaking and dislocating are two different things. If you break your finger, and the break causes it to be at a drastically different angle than before, the bone would be sticking out of the skin. If it is a dislocation, then it will be all crooked. In my experience, breaks recover very quickly and arent a big deal; dislocations take much longer and may never return to normal.

Just about thought I broke my finger today during my workout. The bar tipped of my shoulders when I got angry during a squat and the whole bar landed on my hand. Fingers are swollen, but man it didn't feel great. Although I was so mad about it my next set I did the reps like nothing. :)

present.

failed attempt at a breakfall, didn't realize i broke it but i think it mended itself back. doesn't work properly now though and a bit more crooked than the rest.

Back