Who here believes Charles Oliviera is a championship level fighter?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Peli, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Peli Black Belt

He's been talking alot lately and rightfully so. He's 31 years old and right now is his time to try to go for gold. It's his window.

But, I don't think the guy is a championship fighter. If they give him a top 5 opponent, he will lose. I don't think he'll even make it to the title picture. He beat and finished a bunch of no names + Kevin Lee who's very inconsistent. Lee got beat by al for fuck sakes.

Oliviera is saying stuff like he could put pressure on gaethje like khabib and submit gaethje. Again, he's promoting himself, if he actually believes this, credit to him but I don't think that's reality. Gaethje will knock this dude out cold. He doesn't have the wrestling to gaethje down.

2. Deadwing88 Caliph of Dagestan.

Book the Felder rematch..

JoshTehV and SKYNET like this.
  3. DS66 Brown Belt

His run has been quite impressive since moving back up to LW. With Khabib retired, I think Oliveira has as good a chance as anyone to get the belt. His submission skills are the best in the game, and his striking has improved significantly to the point that it is very solid. He's definitely a bit of a glass cannon though and it wouldn't be all that surprising to see him lose to any of the top LW's, but I also think he can beat any of them too.

4. Fesaine Brown Belt

No, I think oliveira is a little bit overrated on sherdog. While he's very dangerous and slick on the ground but it's not even close to the level as someone like Maia. He has gotten submitted by Pettis, Lamas, and Miller. And he doesn't have the wrestling to make his bjj work against the top 5 guys.

I think Diego Ferreira has far better chance of becoming a champion than do Bronx. He's the real dark horse of 155.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  5. JarlSkuld Black Belt

I think he is the next Barboza: i.e. the guy you have to beat to get a title shot.

Jarl

6. Peli Black Belt

His streak reminds me of leon edwards. Just because he has this long streak doesn't mean I think he's going to beat Usman. Unlike edwards, edwards probably deserved a number one contender. When oli steps into that picture, he's going to lose. I don't think he can beat gaethje with guillotines. I don't think gaethje will fall into that trap. He also doesn't have the wrestling or hitting power to make gaethje back up. He's going to eat one legkick from gaethje and realize he doesn't want anymore.

7. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

Only one way to find out. He deserves a top opponent at this point.

SKYNET likes this.
  8. BRASIL WAND ▓▓▓AMERICAN TOP TEAM▓▓▓

Not getting enough respect imo.

Looks like he’s finally turned the corner, and embracing adversity. He got blatantly fouled multiple times in the Teymur fight and kept pushing forward. Also put a crazy pace on Kevin Lee and embraced scrambles.

Couple that with the fact that his frame is filling out and he’s incredibly comfortable on the feet now. Could be a darkhorse.

[​IMG]

Roop Holstry, JoshTehV, Guld and 3 others like this.
  9. Joinho10 Green Belt

I dont think he has the heart. Simple as. He can improve as much as he wants I dont think he'll ever touch a belt definitely not at LW.

Guy LeDouche likes this.
  10. ExitLUPin K

hell no

hes way over ranked at 6th lmao he shouldnt be anywhere near that

Makhachev, Dariush and Ferreira run through him. Felder would finish him again. Hes a quitter

Guy LeDouche and fortheo like this.
  11. Fedor_Silva Chicken hunter / mdfc fat champ

He is definitely on a high level, fighter kev Lee fight showed Bronx is top material, but yes, he needs one more shot before the TS

12. Peli Black Belt

I hope they give him a shot. Tired of him talking but I'm also tired of the ufc keeping him on the shelf. He absolutely deserves a top 5 opponent. Ufc should stop dicking him around. But I really roll my eyes when he said he can do what khabib did to gaethje.

VVarhead likes this.
  13. VVarhead Banned Banned

I think he can beat anyone in the Top 5 on a particular day but could also lose to anyone in the Top 5 on another.
    He's very hot/cold and it really depends more on his Fight IQ and gameplan and that of his opponent than on his actual skills, which I think are championship level.

Goldentrophy likes this.
  14. wisdom blows Gold Belt

Skill wise, sure. But he has no heart or chin.

15. 7 others Green Belt

No doubt his striking improved greatly.. his sub game has always been top notched..

But we still aren't sure of his heart.. he seemed to wilt when things are not going his way

16. DS66 Brown Belt

His streak is wayyyy different from Leon's. He's savagely finishing all of his opponents. Leon Scott is safely point fighting them to decision W's.

I get the sentiment though. And I would agree 100% if Khabib was still around, he's never beating Khabib. But it's wide open now, and Gaethje showed some serious holes on the ground. Wouldn't be shocking to see Charles put him away. I would slightly favor Gaethje though in that fight.

RockyLockridge likes this.
  17. omawho402 Brown Belt

I could see him winning the belt, but not defending. I'd say its kind of a long shot, but within grasp of reality

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    RockyLockridge likes this.
  18. Guffman Purple Belt

Now that Khabib is gone, he's as good as any of the other too guys.

19. RockyLockridge Silver Belt

Lately, I'd have to say yes

20. Peli Black Belt

Gaethjes holes on the ground was only exploited by the lw goat lol. How is Oliviera going to get it to the ground? Gaethje fights in kickboxing range, not boxing range so how is he going to pull guard and guillotine gaethje? Imo, gaethje is kicking his leg off. Then knocking him out.

fortheo likes this.
  21. DS66 Brown Belt

You really think Beneil Dariush runs though him? They're similar style fighters, but Oliveira is just better everywhere. Dariush has a great ground game, but it's not on Oliveira's level (almost nobody is). And Oliveira is way faster and more explosive on the feet. I guess Dariush always has a chance to win, but I fail to see why anyone would think he would run through Oliveira.