Who has the most heart? - Your top 5

Fabio Maldonado has more heart than his body can take.

Yuki Nakai is the definition of heart, that tournament alone took more balls than most fighters have.

Yuki Nakai
Saku
Minowa
Hendo
BJ

These guys will fight anyone, anytime, any weight, any place.

Penn would fight anyone, but he would tend to kinda give up in fights that didn't go his way. I don't think he ever came from behind to get a win

He gave up in the last round of his fight with Cain. If you just give up and fall over you don't have the most heart

I agree about not having the most heart (probably why I forgot his honorable mention)... that said he endured life shortening beatdowns from Cain and kept trying longer than most would have... can't deny the gratuitous display of testes

Could be a fighter who hasn't had to show it yet. (troll face)

But anyway, Frankie, JDS, and Maldonado off the top of my head. Alvarez, too.

Penn would fight anyone, but he would tend to kinda give up in fights that didn't go his way. I don't think he ever came from behind to get a win
Yeah true but to fight a 214lb Machida, a MW Renzo, the 2 WW Goats etc takes some cojones. He was a bit of a frontrunner but he was fearless.

Stefan Struve. He literally has the most heart.

The #1 attribute I enjoy in a fighter is "bushido", or warrior spirit. To me this means valuing violence and spirit over and above winning. I am thinking of the type of fighter who doesn't lose spirit when takin an ass whooping (think, the opposite of say Crocop, Lesnar).

This isn't about beating your opponent; its about not losing to yourself.

My top 5 examples, in no particular order, are:

1) Sakuraba - the epitome of this was his war with Arona (wars with Wand too). He had an excellent quote about his desire to fight rather than stall which brings me to tears.

2) Nogeuria - the beatings he took from Sapp, Crocop, Fedor x 3 ... he had little regard for his health

3) Minowa - I will never forget the ass whooping Rampage put on him - and he got right back up, went cup to cup with Quentin and challenged him to fight at next years event

4) Hunto - When the man says dying in the ring would be an honor, I believe him

5) Lawlor - his wars with MacDonald and Condit serve as a template for digging deep under pressure. His fight with Manhoeff back in the day, same. The staredowns with MacDonald and the following of Hendricks after their second war, epic. As a Toronto native, I can only compare his pressure performance with Jose Bautista's bat flipping ways in the Oct'15 playoffs.

Honorable mention goes to Diego...

I started this thread because I am sure there are even better examples and I would love to hear about them.

Who are your top 5 and why?

Those are all good choices. I would have to add Edgar. Not a fan at all but his heart is admirable.

Yeah true but to fight a 214lb Machida, a MW Renzo, the 2 WW Goats etc takes some cojones. He was a bit of a frontrunner but he was fearless.

I would have him near the top for most balls in MMA history, just not the most heart

In no particular order:
Frankie Edgar,
Diaz Bros (Nate took ridiculous punishment vs Benson and kept trucking), Fedor (full of courage and no quit),
and Sakuraba.

I would have him near the top for most balls in MMA history, just not the most heart
Yeah I can respect that. Maybe put Hunt in 5th then.

Sakuraba
Big Nog
Matt Brown
JDS
Frankie

seriously though no love for matt brown? dude had his liver split by e.silva and kept coming forward. has zero quit in him and wants to hurt you. definition of bushido. shame on you sherdog. for not including immortal on ur list

Depends on how you define heart. It could mean rallying when you get hurt early or it could mean facing anyone regardless of size.

Edgar
BJ Penn
Hughes
Lawler
Anderson

A lot of people left off BJ Penn, Hughes and Anderson, so let me explain.

BJ Penn- a lot of heart for fighting the Hughes and GSP, who were the most dominant WW's when Penn fought them. Penn also showed great heart in the Diaz fight, still fighting on when he was clearly hurt.

Hughes- rallied in Penn 2, Trigg 2, Newton and Serra fights.

Anderson- rallied in the Lutter, Hendo, Sonnen fights.

We could switch names around all day but that's a fine list.

And it isn't even close.

cm-punk-profile-1.jpg
Obviously the next BIGGEST thing bro

Back