Who has the greater legacy Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather Jr.?

Who has the greater legacy Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather Jr.?

• Total voters
yeah that’s fair enough as well. I’d still pick floyd, prime for prime, but id give manny more than a punchers chance
For sure, he could possibly out work Floyd but when has Floyd ever been out worked other than when he fought with a bad shoulder injury in the first Castillo fight, and then he schooled Castillo in the rematch to show he really did have a shoulder injury in the first fight which is why his performance was off

I don't see how having losses in his 40's will possibly hurt manny's legacy or all time ranking

He is betting with house money now.

It is not like roy jones who hadn't had really tough fights before his slide and that began in his early 30's

Fair point. But i think a bad loss to Spence or Crawford would be used against him, fairly or unfairly. Now if he's robbed like he was against Jeff Horn then that's different imo. As long as he doesn't get starched or dominated then i suppose you're right... even in a loss his stature won't be negatively affected.

I agree with you guy sthat the fight should have taken place sooner around 2010-11, but Pacquiao ducked the drug tests and let Arum tell him what to do.

So don't blame Floyd for that, and yes I agree it would have been much more competitive especially the Cotto that whopped on Cotto, anyone who doesn't think that Manny would have had more of a chance compared to him today is not speaking rationally.

But Floyd would still out box the sox off him and possibly get a stoppage as Manny rushed in on him. Floyd is a master at countering off the back foot and Pac would be hitting shoulders and gloves off the rope.

Pac would have a punchers chance for sure though
I don't know that Manny would have won had the fight taken place nearer his peak but it definitely would have been more competitive. Floyd was a good counter puncher but Manny had a really good chin. The only time he got put down hard was by JMM on anabolics. That punch would have dropped anyone. I think Floyd would have stung him with counters but not dropped him.

I don't know that Manny would have won had the fight taken place nearer his peak but it definitely would have been more competitive. Floyd was a good counter puncher but Manny had a really good chin. The only time he got put down hard was by JMM on anabolics. That punch would have dropped anyone. I think Floyd would have stung him with counters but not dropped him.
Yeah It would have been competitive. it’s a shame manny And arum ducked the fight with the drug testing, even Freddie roach blames manny and arum, arias said arum told manny not to accept it, I don’t blame arum if pac fought Floyd he would have lost and Pac-Man value would have dropped, arum milked manny dry using Floyd name to tease people and have them believe Floyd was scared

Yeah It would have been competitive. it’s a shame manny And arum ducked the fight with the drug testing, even Freddie roach blames manny and arum, arias said arum told manny not to accept it, I don’t blame arum if pac fought Floyd he would have lost and Pac-Man value would have dropped, arum milked manny dry using Floyd name to tease people and have them believe Floyd was scared
Yeah Arum had a lot to answer for which is why so many fighters eventually fall out with him.

Yeah Arum had a lot to answer for which is why so many fighters eventually fall out with him.
Arum advised Manny not to accept the testing, he was worried if Manny lost he would be left without a cash cow, he milked Manny. Compare Arum to Pacs other promoter Murad Muhammad, they were telling Manny to call out the big dogs, I think Manny would fight anyone really he just has that third world loyalty and it screwed him, he believed Arum had his best interest.

Arum also claimed Pacman said he was scared of Needles, then some filipino asked Manny are you scared of needles and he said what I never said that lol

Arum really soiled Pacs name

Funny thing is the one who did the most damage and threw the most powerful punches in their match was Manny when he countered Floyd.

But he didn't create the counter opportunities, he just read the timing.
He was never a very technical fighter but he had/has enormous talents and instincts, in both countering and compination punching using great footwork. A true genius.

Arum advised Manny not to accept the testing, he was worried if Manny lost he would be left without a cash cow, he milked Manny. Compare Arum to Pacs other promoter Murad Muhammad, they were telling Manny to call out the big dogs, I think Manny would fight anyone really he just has that third world loyalty and it screwed him, he believed Arum had his best interest.

Arum also claimed Pacman said he was scared of Needles, then some filipino asked Manny are you scared of needles and he said what I never said that lol

Arum really soiled Pacs name
Well yeah Arum messed up Manny's reputation but he left him and since then all things have been good.

Funny thing is the one who did the most damage and threw the most powerful punches in their match was Manny when he countered Floyd.

He was never a very technical fighter but he had/has enormous talents and instincts, in both countering and compination punching using great footwork. A true genius.
Manny had some great movement and understanding of angles but he tended to go to the well too many times. That's why JMM was able to read him and let him jump into that enormous counterpunch. But it's really hard to counter a fighter like Floyd but he gives so little and when he does throw at you it's from a position of safety so it's really hard to counter him back. So even though he's not throwing much he's outscoring you. I just will always wonder what a Prime Manny would have done against Floyd when he was just perpetual motion and ripping through fighters like a buzzsaw. Would Floyd have been able to slow him down like he did when they eventually met or would Manny have overwhelmed Floyd with sheer volume?

839B43B5-9C96-4EB5-990B-65B735AB7BDD.jpeg
Please explain this is an open forum everyone has their opinions

Your deliberate obtuseness (when it suits you) is infuriating, and convinces me you’re a troll.

1. “Once you beat a guy your legacy is superior to that guy [sic].” Is what you said

2. I asked whether that means that Berbick has a better legacy than Ali (because he beat him)

3. You pretended not to understand.

View attachment 789510

Your deliberate obtuseness (when it suits you) is infuriating, and convinces me you’re a troll.

1. “Once you beat a guy your legacy is superior to that guy [sic].” Is what you said

2. I asked whether that means that Berbick has a better legacy than Ali (because he beat him)

3. You pretended not to understand.
giphy.gif

Although it's undeniable that Floyd left a huge legacy and impact in the western world. You can see it in the younger fighters talking about him, in rap songs, etc...
NBA youngboy has a track called ' bitchass daddy'

Whether he waited him out or not, that was not the prime manny that was running through everyone a few years before. That’s what the favs wanted to see! He’s been past his prime for years, which makes the Thurman fight even more incredible. I think it’s even more rare to see a naturally small fighter, still fighting at the elite level at 41 years old. Speed and reactions are 2 of the first things to go, which is why larger fighters can generally fight to an older age without dropping off too much

Tbf it wasn’t prime floyd either but I would guess that the delay for their fight was more down to floyd. Us fans were the ones that lost out as we didn’t get to see the 2 best fighters of a generation, fight at their peak.
It wasnt the primes we all wanted to see, but judging by both of their most recent outings Manny looks less washed up than Floyd.

I firmly believe neither wanted to fight the other until they actually did it. They wanted to break the bank, and they succeeded.

To me Floyd is a cerebral boxing genius and Manny is a instinctive boxing genius.

Back