Who has the greater legacy Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather Jr.?

Who has the greater legacy Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather Jr.?

• Total voters
Yeah, the Thurman fight sort of killed that narrative. Even if that was the plan, didnt work out that way. And the injury? Whats the consensus, did it influence the fight, did Manny say it influenced the fight?
No clue. I was so fed up with the talk of these two after their fight that I largely stopped following anything related to the two of them.

so just cause Manny is a meat head fighter who doenst care to get hit means he is greater lol come on dude, Floyd said it best when was it cool getting hit? Floyd changed the game man, he was his own boss, picked and chose who he wanted to fight without taking the damage or risks the other fighters had to take because promoters used them as slaves
floyd can spin the discussion on damage but it is very likely that after 20 years of boxing at the top level he has tau protein regardless of Philly shell
as far as being a boss he still had to abide by his 'advisor' al haymon
In regards to star power Floyd had fortunate events in his career, the de la hoya super fight and the paquaio mega fight

so just cause Manny is a meat head fighter who doenst care to get hit means he is greater lol come on dude, Floyd said it best when was it cool getting hit? Floyd changed the game man, he was his own boss, picked and chose who he wanted to fight without taking the damage or risks the other fighters had to take because promoters used them as slaves

This is also very true. Manny was loyal to Arum and top rank, until the Floyd fight, and now even Manny want to be like Floyd and be his own self-promoter. In terms of legacy, that is already tiers above being known as being someone who can take a punch, is on roids, and being told who to fight so that Bob Arum can make more money. Not to mention ever boxer who wants to be something will emulate Floyd.

Plus, lol at someone talking about Manny doing it longer. Floyd was a top tier amateur and robbed at the Olympics. He been doing this since day 1.

This is also very true. Manny was loyal to Arum and top rank, until the Floyd fight, and now even Manny want to be like Floyd and be his own self-promoter. In terms of legacy, that is already tiers above being known as being someone who can take a punch, is on roids, and being told who to fight so that Bob Arum can make more money. Not to mention ever boxer who wants to be something will emulate Floyd.

Plus, lol at someone talking about Manny doing it longer. Floyd was a top tier amateur and robbed at the Olympics. He been doing this since day 1.
I remember someone said Pacmans accomplishments shit on Floyds pre welterweight lol, yet pre-welterweight Floyd made it on the ESPN and RING Ring Magazines top 100 ATGs list, Pacquiao wasn't even on the list yet some how what he did pre welterweight was better than Floyds. These lists are gathered through boxing historians who have more knowledge than us average joes, they didn't even think Pac belonged in the top 100 list during that top so whoever claims Pacs run at featherweight was superior is smoking some stuff

I remember someone said Pacmans accomplishments shit on Floyds pre welterweight lol, yet pre-welterweight Floyd made it on the ESPN and RING Ring Magazines top 100 ATGs list, Pacquiao wasn't even on the list yet some how what he did pre welterweight was better than Floyds. These lists are gathered through boxing historians who have more knowledge than us average joes, they didn't even think Pac belonged in the top 100 list during that top so whoever claims Pacs run at featherweight was superior is smoking some stuff
lol

The thing that doesnt get acknowledged enough, imo, is that many Floyd critics made a narrative that Floyd waited until Manny was washed up before he fought him. Well, Manny is still beating top contenders whereas Floyd looked old in his last outings and retired.

It makes the win over Manny that much more impressive for me.

Whether he waited him out or not, that was not the prime manny that was running through everyone a few years before. That’s what the favs wanted to see! He’s been past his prime for years, which makes the Thurman fight even more incredible. I think it’s even more rare to see a naturally small fighter, still fighting at the elite level at 41 years old. Speed and reactions are 2 of the first things to go, which is why larger fighters can generally fight to an older age without dropping off too much

Tbf it wasn’t prime floyd either but I would guess that the delay for their fight was more down to floyd. Us fans were the ones that lost out as we didn’t get to see the 2 best fighters of a generation, fight at their peak.

I’d go with Pacquiao but it’s close. Both guys are essentially 4 division champs by original 8 standards. I think what puts Pacquiao ahead in my eyes is the naked ambition of his career in comparison to Floyd’s more calculated run. Floyd was much more calculated in his approach too.

Pacquiao is still active though, which means that he still has time to either create even more separation between him and Mayweather or fall behind Floyd in terms of all-time esteem, depending on how he finishes out his career

this pretty much sums up my view as well

Whether he waited him out or not, that was not the prime manny that was running through everyone a few years before. That’s what the favs wanted to see! He’s been past his prime for years, which makes the Thurman fight even more incredible. I think it’s even more rare to see a naturally small fighter, still fighting at the elite level at 41 years old. Speed and reactions are 2 of the first things to go, which is why larger fighters can generally fight to an older age without dropping off too much

Tbf it wasn’t prime floyd either but I would guess that the delay for their fight was more down to floyd. Us fans were the ones that lost out as we didn’t get to see the 2 best fighters of a generation, fight at their peak.
Yeah that's how I see it. I think we were robbed of a better more competitive fight. Manny's style was hindered more by age than Floyd who has adapted better to getting older. He's been fighting smarter not harder. Manny's work rate was always one of his best traits but that fell off a fair bit since his prime.

Floyd, by quite a lot IMO.

Not only is he better, both skill and record... but how many young boxers are going to try and copy Floyd's style, vs how many gonna copy Manny's. That is the true legacy for a boxer IMO. You can already see it in the new generations.
You can't imitate Manny's style. Simple as that.
Although it's undeniable that Floyd left a huge legacy and impact in the western world. You can see it in the younger fighters talking about him, in rap songs, etc...

He will be as huge as Tyson and Roy are today.

Boxing historians on the other hand may rank Pacman higher, although their head to head match and Floyd's win over Canelo might have also sealed the deal on that front as well in Floyd's favour.

Personally I think they are on the same level. I can't say for sure who was better.
The Pacman that executed Cotto and Hatton was a marvel. Just rewatched the Thurman fight and he was still marvelous.
Before Thurman could react he was on a new angle hitting him 2-3 times and repeat.

On the other hand you have Floyd, technique and boxing perfection.
They are both great imo. I wish they could have fought a few more matches against each other.

Last edited:
this pretty much sums up my view as well

Should've been more specific. If Manny beats, say, Mikey Garcia and then -- insert circus fight vs. McGregor -- and then either Spence or Crawford by early 2022 he surpasses Floyd... no fucking question and is top 3 p4p all-time without a doubt. My only hope for him is that he has an exit strategy, because the only thing that could hurt him, hurt his legacy, is hanging around too long.

Yeah that's how I see it. I think we were robbed of a better more competitive fight. Manny's style was hindered more by age than Floyd who has adapted better to getting older. He's been fighting smarter not harder. Manny's work rate was always one of his best traits but that fell off a fair bit since his prime.

Yeah, that’s the point I was trying to make

I agree with you guy sthat the fight should have taken place sooner around 2010-11, but Pacquiao ducked the drug tests and let Arum tell him what to do.

So don't blame Floyd for that, and yes I agree it would have been much more competitive especially the Cotto that whopped on Cotto, anyone who doesn't think that Manny would have had more of a chance compared to him today is not speaking rationally.

But Floyd would still out box the sox off him and possibly get a stoppage as Manny rushed in on him. Floyd is a master at countering off the back foot and Pac would be hitting shoulders and gloves off the rope.

Pac would have a punchers chance for sure though

Should've been more specific. If Manny beats, say, Mikey Garcia and then -- insert circus fight vs. McGregor -- and then either Spence or Crawford by early 2022 he surpasses Floyd... no fucking question and is top 3 p4p all-time without a doubt. My only hope for him is that he has an exit strategy, because the only thing that could hurt him, hurt his legacy, is hanging around too long.

The Thurman fight was incredible to be honest, but has he got any more of those performances left in him at 41? I thought manny was done 3-4 years ago and have been calling for him to retire. I don’t see him beating spence or Crawford at this point in his career. Garcia would be a good fight still though. That and then retire would be good for me

I don't see how having losses in his 40's will possibly hurt manny's legacy or all time ranking

He is betting with house money now.

It is not like roy jones who hadn't had really tough fights before his slide and that began in his early 30's

I agree with you guy sthat the fight should have taken place sooner around 2010-11, but Pacquiao ducked the drug tests and let Arum tell him what to do.

So don't blame Floyd for that, and yes I agree it would have been much more competitive especially the Cotto that whopped on Cotto, anyone who doesn't think that Manny would have had more of a chance compared to him today is not speaking rationally.

But Floyd would still out box the sox off him and possibly get a stoppage as Manny rushed in on him. Floyd is a master at countering off the back foot and Pac would be hitting shoulders and gloves off the rope.

Pac would have a punchers chance for sure though

yeah that’s fair enough as well. I’d still pick floyd, prime for prime, but id give manny more than a punchers chance

Back