Who has the better stand up, Mcgregor or Aldo?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Gearc10, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Gearc10

Gearc10 Green Belt

Good point. I think Aldo's best chance of winning is rushing him with something explosive and finishing him. I don't think he wins a decision either and in all honesty its prob not gonna go to the cards anyway

2. ScarfaceJr

ScarfaceJr All praise honor & glory to the most High

Wins the 5th round against Edgar
    wins the 5th against Mendes

Still this myth about his gas tank exists.

kay

3. jitzmonkey

jitzmonkey Green Belt

It may be difficult to compare them considering we haven't seen that much from McGregor. It would be interesting to see how he reacts to the HIGH LEVEL thai boxing and bjj that Aldo brings.

That said; his footwork is outstanding, and it seems like his cardio goes for days. Add the concussive power in his hands; and you've got a h-ll of a fight.

4. Unicorn Princes

Unicorn Princes Banned Banned

I don't feel like we've seen enough of McGregor to say how good or bad he is. I know a lot of elite strikers don't strike so well when they fear being taken down, and I think between those two that could be the difference.

5. gspfedkobe24

gspfedkobe24 Black Belt

Head clean off round 1

6. Chapter40z

Chapter40z Red Belt

I just want to see mcgoat run thru aldo to see all the butthurt it would cause on sd

7. the ax murderer

the ax murderer Looking At The Stars.

When did he move up the rankings while idle?

He was 5th after starching Poirier and he still is.

8. 91 seconds

91 seconds Disposable Hero

Do people realize Aldo is in that stratosphere with Anderson, Fedor, Gsp, Jones??

McGregor has YEARS to even be compared. He really hasn't done anything compared to the guys listed above. Saying Conor is a better striker based off what exactly? From the footage we've seen you can't come to any other conclusion than Aldo.

9. RedRackham

RedRackham Purple Belt

When did he move up without fighting? He was #9, beat the #5 guy in dustin in the first rd, and moved up to #5 himself where he has been ever since. I see nothing wrong with that.

Same with chael. He had some big wins moving up and earning his title shots at mw with silva. His lhw title shot was a joke, but it was also a joke how other LHW's turned down the short notice shot and he took the fight with Jones. Balls. But those MW shots were earned big time, especially the first one.

Both those two have so much to hate on, but their wins are not one of them. Stick to trashing their personalities and leave their wins and fighting skills alone. It just makes you look like a hating child, and trashing Chael's first run to his title shot, even his second, makes it look like you just starting watching the sport yesterday.

10. Gearc10

Gearc10 Green Belt

The first time I saw Jones fight I thought he was going to be a champ, I'm sure many people did. Right now he is clearly more rounded than Conor because we have seen more, but you get the point.

A good scout in any sport recognizes potential and that is what I base this off.

11. lelouch

lelouch Purple Belt

That would be gold

12. hto63

hto63 Brown Belt

All this talk is meaningless. We know Aldo is a master and has proven it against the toughest opponents in the division. Conor looked good against mid level guys, I know I know Poirier was ranked #6 or something but he's not even in the division anymore.

Conor looks more flashy but Aldo has just perfected his basics. Very excited to see us get the answer relatively soon though.

Gunnar Nelson you mean? Snap Aldo in half? lmao you did watch his most recent fight yes? He's not snapping guys in half on his level. Let alone several levels above like Aldo.
    that said the only way Aldo would even find himself on the ground is if Aldo takes him down or if he slips with those half-assed takedowns from Gunnar.

13. kurtwpg

kurtwpg Silver Belt

I sure hope Aldo doesn't get injured. I don't want to see McGregor vs Cody McKenzie for the interim title.

14. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

Aldo has better fundamentals, but mcgregor is more creative and I'll say a little more fluid

15. Gearc10

Gearc10 Green Belt

Gunnar Nelson you mean? Snap Aldo in half? lmao you did watch his most recent fight yes? He's not snapping guys in half on his level. Let alone several levels above like Aldo.
    that said the only way Aldo would even find himself on the ground is if Aldo takes him down or if he slips with those half-assed takedowns from Gunnar.[/QUOTE]

Ya Nelson but I was referring to their ground game as you can see in the post. He's as crafty as they get down there and a lot bigger than Aldo. That last fight was very frustrating, his standup was shown up, he didn't go through the gears and agreed, his take downs were pathetic. He needs to go down to 155 anyway but that's another "story".

16. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

Every time I see these two stupid, over done phrases I hope this site crashes.

17. spikemma

spikemma Brown Belt

18. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

No way

19. FlexBelt

FlexBelt Orange Belt

This, but I'll add that I think Aldo throws the faster strikes while Conor throws with some serious power.

20. the ax murderer

the ax murderer Looking At The Stars.

There's no need to be so upset about him getting the shot guys, he's been on a tear and most importantly hasn't already lost to Aldo, whereas everyone else in the top 5 has.

Sure, his persona is helping his career, I don't see the problem.