Who has the best ground game in LW history?

Its sad to think that there aren't that many of us left that remember BJ Penn the P4P king of the UFC... The BJ Penn that beat Diego Sanchez was the last we saw of him, unfortunately.

There is a compilation video on YouTube with his guard passes, the uploader narrates how innovative it was for mma. Looked for it and couldn't find it.

Aoki was a bit more fancy.

But damn Penn, take you down (or drop you), pass your guard, mount, get back, choke you out.

^^^how fast he got the RNC is scary.

What's the title of the video?

I forgot, i saw it like 2 years ago. The narrator broke down BJ's moves from half guard or whatever position he was at and explain that those moves were brand new in mma at the time, but now copied and commonplace in every mma gym.

Aoki was a bit more fancy.

But damn Penn, take you down (or drop you), pass your guard, mount, get back, choke you out.

^^^how fast he got the RNC is scary.

BJ always said he has about 5 moves and he's going to shove them your throat, and if you stop him, you stop him.

http://www.openmatradio.com/podcast/episode-8-bj-penn-pt-1/

Listen to this 2 part interview with BJ and how he started in BJJ and how he met Ralph Gracie and how he won Mundials. Best BJ Penn interview ever, the host explains how incredible the feat was back then, the competition you faced not only in tournaments but from your own teammates. BJ won a lot of those tournaments even though he was outweighed 15-30 lbs or more.

BJ always said he has about 5 moves and he's going to shove them your throat, and if you stop him, you stop him.

http://www.openmatradio.com/podcast/episode-8-bj-penn-pt-1/

Listen to this 2 part interview with BJ and how he started in BJJ and how he met Ralph Gracie and how he won Mundials. Best BJ Penn interview ever, the host explains how incredible the feat was back then, the competition you faced not only in tournaments but from your own teammates. BJ won a lot of those tournaments even though he was outweighed 15-30 lbs or more.
I read the Why I fight book and it goes in to some good detail.

Also have read a few magazine articles from back in the day.

I read the Why I fight book and it goes in to some good detail.

Also have read a few magazine articles from back in the day.

The book is fun too, one of the best mma books written. But the interview he goes into depth how BJJ was different back then, you had to win your challenge match against your fellow gym member if you wanted to rep your school, he talks about the greats in BJJ he trained with, how Rickson reffed one of his first BJJ matches, and about the gang mentality between gyms and other martial arts schools.

George Sotiropoulos wasnt to shabby on the ground.

Hermes Franca needs to be mentioned in this discussion

What can you say about people saying shinya aoki only fight cans?

I would say he fought Tatsuya Kawajiri, Mizuto Hirota, Joachim Hansen, JZ Cavalcante, Satoru Kitaoka, Gilbert Melendez, and...of course...the current UFC LW Champ Eddie Alvarez.

The book is fun too, one of the best mma books written. But the interview he goes into depth how BJJ was different back then, you had to win your challenge match against your fellow gym member if you wanted to rep your school, he talks about the greats in BJJ he trained with, how Rickson reffed one of his first BJJ matches, and about the gang mentality between gyms and other martial arts schools.
I'll bookmark it. Apparently, or so I've heard, Scottie from onthemat has a video of Penn vs Terere as purple belts.

I'll bookmark it. Apparently, or so I've heard, Scottie from onthemat has a video of Penn vs Terere as purple belts.

Supposedly he has a gold mine of old tapes of various legends of BJJ

BJ took Gomi's lunch money so bad from back mount but Aoki pulled off the first gogo in high lvl MMA so it evens out

LoL Aoki would get tapped by Penn. Aoki only looked flashy against no name scrubs.

inb4 first Alvarez fight
New kind of retard I see.

Aoki lw goat, most top 10 wins at lw and never would be tapped by bj (although bj could do really well against aoki)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back