Who has rolled with a girl before?

Rolling with girls sounds like a damn good way to get cooties.

No thank you.

well... i've had my training partners tell me they thought they could never get tapped by me either since i have the physique of aoki and weigh like 140lbs.

an average girl would obviously have a strength disadvantage so we might prolong the sub or muscle out of it, but even a 100lbs chick can slap on a triangle and you will either admit she got you or go to sleep exactly the same way you would with a 220lbs dude. there are subs that work for them, and subs that just don't. but to think you can't get tapped by a girl is fairly ignorant.

It probably doesn't help that I weigh 145 and I'm 5'7. Not exactly the biggest guy so muscling out isn't always an option. I've muscled out of guys who weigh around 185, but even if a girl is 115, with the proper technique, your not getting out of it through muscle. And for my size I'm fairly strong, but it's hard to muscle out of a rear naked choke lol.

there's a few girls at the academy i go to. none of them really roll live at the end of class, unless the instructor is rolling with them. Last week, we did kind of a round robin where we rolled with each person in class for 5 minutes, so i rolled with a girl for the first time. She was a 4 stripe white belt, same as me, but rolled like a dead fish. Not trying to sound sexist, i expected to be better than she was, but she really didn't attempt anything. I wasn't really comfortable with submitting her, so i just kept transitioning from half guard to side control, to north south, back to side control, mount, ect. she'll probably get her blue before me too.

I've rolled with a female black belt and MMA fighter before. I thought I was doing pretty well until she took my back and choked me. And then she did it again. Several times.

Cindy Hales? She is awesome.

there's a few girls at the academy i go to. none of them really roll live at the end of class, unless the instructor is rolling with them. Last week, we did kind of a round robin where we rolled with each person in class for 5 minutes, so i rolled with a girl for the first time. She was a 4 stripe white belt, same as me, but rolled like a dead fish. Not trying to sound sexist, i expected to be better than she was, but she really didn't attempt anything. I wasn't really comfortable with submitting her, so i just kept transitioning from half guard to side control, to north south, back to side control, mount, ect. she'll probably get her blue before me too.

She probably had no idea how to attempt a submission

I'm actually waiting for that humbling to occur. I've rolled with 3 or 4 and so far I've been a bit disappointed. 2 were higher belts than myself and I'm not really a big guy so it's not like were talking a 100 lb weight gap and I had zero problems. I'd say at most it was probably like 20-30lbs, which while a decent amount isn't really that much. I've only sparred with one standing and it was only after she complained that people weren't actually pulling the trigger against her so I was like what they hey. I'm not saying they're not out there because I know there are I just haven't seen it yet.

A 20 to 30lb weight difference plus the muscle disparity between a man and woman is more like you training with a man 40-50lbs smaller than you.

The weight difference simply compounds the muscle disparity. At 120lbs a 20 or 30lb difference is very extensive, whereas at 160 or 170lbs it is significantly less so. That's the part most people forget. Plus even if a woman is the same weight as you, she's still a lot weaker (even if she's strong for a chick). We recognize this every day when we train, it's interesting to me when men don't want to accept it.

A 20 to 30lb weight difference plus the muscle disparity between a man and woman is more like you training with a man 40-50lbs smaller than you.

The weight difference simply compounds the muscle disparity. At 120lbs a 20 or 30lb difference is very extensive, whereas at 160 or 170lbs it is significantly less so. That's the part most people forget. Plus even if a woman is the same weight as you, she's still a lot weaker (even if she's strong for a chick). We recognize this every day when we train, it's interesting to me when men don't want to accept it.

Giving up 40-50lbs at my gym is pretty par of the course for me. I'm 160-165 and the next lightest guy that has any experience are around 210 and up. I'm aware strength and size makes a difference but if they are coming in with 2-3 years of experience on me one would think you would become a bit more used to it because god knows I have and I'll be the first to say it can suck but you do learn to adapt.

Note, I'm not trying to say that I'd have a problem getting tapped by a girl because I've had my butt tooled by one fairly thoroughly standing up and it didn't bother me at all. Just as far as grappling goes I've yet to meet one that I really had any kind of issue with. I'd imagine if you tossed me in against a brown or black I'd be surprised if I didn't get killed. I just haven't had the opportunity to experience that.

No. I would kill myself if I ever lost to a girl. Even if it was Cyborg in a Muay Thai match, Hillary in a BJJ match, or UFC Vice President of Talent Relations Joe Silva in Fantasy MMA.

lol @ Joe Silva.

BTW, are you being serious about not wanting to lose to a girl that bad?

Ive rolled with quite a few females.

I train on the reg. with 3, and have rolled with two VERY high level ones.

Hillary when she was a purple belt, and Jennifer Petterson who is an ADCC Vet. as well.

Both of them submitted me and swept me pretty easily at the time. I had just started training, and Hillary and her were winning Pan Ams/ Nationals/ Mundials, etc...

Last edited:
Cindy Hales? She is awesome.

Yeah, she started a new school and I go to her no-gi class on Fridays. She's a great teacher and one of the best grapplers in the Northwest, of either gender.

No. I would kill myself if I ever lost to a girl. Even if it was Cyborg in a Muay Thai match, Hillary in a BJJ match, or UFC Vice President of Talent Relations Joe Silva in Fantasy MMA.

According to a conversation with Allan Goes, many fighters that know Joe suspect that he likes the boyz. Nothing official though. Funny thing is, after I heard Allan say this, may gaydar has gone off every time I see him on TV.

Sweet! A misogynist and a homophobe too! You racist as well, champ?

There has been so many threads like this!

I'm a girl and have been training at a school seriously for about a month. I've submitted some of the newer, weaker guys. They all can handle it pretty well. Although I almost guillotined one of the regular guys who has been training for a few more months than me and he had to keep telling me how he was "just going easy." Some guys just need to man up or us girls are going to keep kicking their butt. :icon_chee

I have many times, but none that were particularly advanced, so I wasn't tapped or anything. But I rolled with one when I was a white belt who gave me a really really hard time. I stayed on top and hung tough because I was stronger, but she had a better all around game than me and it was apparent even though she didn't really get any of her moves off.

I did on my third day and she was freakin' ferocious compared to the guys. I don't think she's had any adversity just for being a girl in the class(since there are like 5 or 6) so it's not like she had to compensate for anything. I think she's just naturally aggressive. Or she assumed I was going to try and manhandle her because of the size/strength advantage. (little did she know I have passive jits)

It was pretty much the same as with anyone else. My hands ended up in an awkward area once or twice but we both know what's up so it was cool. I wouldn't be foolish enough to act like a perv in a room where:

half of the class(white belts) might be able to kill me
the other half (blues and experienced whites) could probably kill me
and 4 of the people (the instructor, his assistant, and 2 of his students) could definitely kill me

One of the girls in my class is a judo brown belt. I almost want someone to mess with her on a nogi day just so I can see her snap his freakin' arm

There has been so many threads like this!

I'm a girl and have been training at a school seriously for about a month. I've submitted some of the newer, weaker guys. They all can handle it pretty well. Although I almost guillotined one of the regular guys who has been training for a few more months than me and he had to keep telling me how he was "just going easy." Some guys just need to man up or us girls are going to keep kicking their butt. :icon_chee

This. Guys will make excuses as well.

The girl I rolled with was very quick and took my back almost instantly. She tried sinking in her choke but I was strong enough to keep her arm out of my neck, but when I tried rolling, I got sloppy and she sinked it in. However, me getting sloppy is no excuse, I couldn't stop her from taking my back, she was simply better then me and I was very humble afterwards.

I talked to a guy who rolled with her earlier and all he was doing was saying how his neck hurt and was sore from the day before and thats why he got submitted...5 times.

When drilling in practice I used to hate taking Taiotoshi from this one woman on my team. I've taken stiff falls from WBs, rib crushing Ogoshis from heavy guys, got flung 10 feet in the air with an uranage from a 3rd Dan and Osotogari'd to hell but nothing ever hurt as bad as this taiotoshi from a woman 30lbs lighter than me.

She was damn good in randori as well. If I didn't give my all against her, I'd pay for it.

Never been tapped by a girl, but i'm really big (6'2 220) and didn't ever roll with a girl until i'd already been training for 3 months. I hardly ever free roll w/ girls, but have done round robin drills which girls have rotated with me on. I'm too strong and have decent fundamentals so I don't get subbed though.

Now, back at Xtreme Couture I sparred with a girl who had quite a bit of MT training, and she held her own despite a huge size difference. I just pumped my jab & teep while she tried to get inside and use hooks + leg kicks.

Yeah, she started a new school and I go to her no-gi class on Fridays. She's a great teacher and one of the best grapplers in the Northwest, of either gender.

Same! where you there this last friday?

Sweet! A misogynist and a homophobe too! You racist as well, champ?

I have to laugh at this one. I love your point, but seriously, you used the word "misogynist" on Sherdog?

Have you noticed the reading level of most of the posters here?

Women belong in the kitchen.
QFT

we don't have any advanced chicks at teh club rigt now, a good friend of mine is a korean brown belt chick who would tap 99% of this fourm without breaking a sweat though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back