Who has rolled with a girl before?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Snowman3459, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Snowman3459

Snowman3459 Guest

Obviously this question is aimed towards men, in case any of you Sherdoggers are women.

Women in MMA is clearly not a uncommon thing, and I would say almost every gym has at least 2 of them.

I've had 2 situations with women and neither one of them were good...for me.

About 3 years ago when I first started getting into boxing, about 3 months into it this new woman came to the gym. She was Russian and didn't exactly look like a nice person. Only my instructor knew who she was and he told me to spar with her; naturally, I was a little hesitant about hitting a girl, but the next thing I know I was getting my face pounded in. Little did I know, she was a pro boxer...awesome.

On to my main story though, I went to a new gym about 3 weeks ago with a friend. First thing I noticed in the gym was that there was a Asian girl in there, and the only one. So whatever we do the routine and were about to begin rolling when the instructor tells me I have to roll with her. He told me this because I had yet to sign a waver stating that I wouldn't sue his ass if I got hurt...and I guess the best bet was rolling with a girl. Yeah, bad idea. She was quick as hell and super hard to hold onto and she ended up submitting me in less then a minute.

So anyways, has anyone rolled (or even sparred) with a girl who you completely underestimated and ended up kicking your ass? I'm sure there are a few macho men on this forum who think no one can beat them.

2. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

I am a macho man, but it's more like on that song where everyone is probably a homosexual and some are cops and indians and firemen.

3. Snowman3459

Snowman3459 Guest

Lol what?

4. El_Jefe

El_Jefe Green Belt

No. I would kill myself if I ever lost to a girl. Even if it was Cyborg in a Muay Thai match, Hillary in a BJJ match, or UFC Vice President of Talent Relations Joe Silva in Fantasy MMA.

5. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

But... isn't Joe Silva a dude?

6. Snowman3459

Snowman3459 Guest

Have you ever rolled with a girl?

7. El_Jefe

El_Jefe Green Belt

Yes actually I have. I roll with women all the time. Never been submitted by one though. Although I have been swept by a really dope Brazilian Purple Belt girl once.

8. El_Jefe

El_Jefe Green Belt

According to a conversation with Allan Goes, many fighters that know Joe suspect that he likes the boyz. Nothing official though. Funny thing is, after I heard Allan say this, may gaydar has gone off every time I see him on TV.

9. Snowman3459

Snowman3459 Guest

How long have you been training BJJ? Rank?

I'm a white belt. Still very new at BJJ. She was a purple

10. BatBoyJG

BatBoyJG Brown Belt

I use to get submitted by my coach's wife all the time lol. I roll with girls all the time here now, and let them submit me a lot of times.

11. mweaver123

mweaver123 Yellow Belt

Definitely rolled with girls before...I don't see what the big deal is. They train just like anyone else and I think it lends credence to the fact that BJJ techniques can be applied effectively by smaller (on average) people.

12. Snowman3459

Snowman3459 Guest

Like I said, it's not a uncommon thing. But men have ego's...ego's that say no woman can beat them in anything. So most of the time, a man will underestimate a woman in every thing. Especially something that involves fighting.

And again just like I said, I underestimated 2 women and they both kicked my ass.

13. darcelover

darcelover White Belt

Hillary has tapped me multiple times.

14. dokomoy

dokomoy Green Belt

I've trained with a bunch of girls. Never been subbed, but a girl in Judo threw me for what would have been ippon if it was competition.

15. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Yes, but most of them were of inferior rank and i had huge weight advantage, some were much better than me though, they were monsters that wiped their divisions at judo.

I have no problem with rolling with women, i avoid it but only because i usually have a big strength and size advantage.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  16. All In The Game

All In The Game Green Belt

The only girls I've ever rolled with were like 3 belts levels ahead of me and I felt like crap because they just steamrolled me (Not because they were women, but because I got worked) or neophytes who I outweighed by like 80 lbs and I felt like crap because I just dominated with very little effort.

17. Dewey Buntler

Dewey Buntler Purple Belt

I believe it was my 2nd or third bjj class I was was paired with a girl. We were working on a takedown/throw and her mouth somehow collided with my knee and her lip started bleeding. I was thinking oh shit the guys here are going to rough me up when we rotate.
    I apologized more than once. Instead the instructor told her to suck it up and keep rolling.
    Not in a mean way but I was still kind of nervous the rest of class.

18. Alaskantkdkid

Alaskantkdkid Green Belt

The majority of my judo class is girls, so yes.

19. hustles

hustles Green Belt

Back in 2007 when Kyra Gracie was training at the Gracie Barra America HQ I sparred several times with her and she kicked my ass no problem. I have also had my ass handed to me by Ana Laura Cordeiro on many occasions. Both of them being obvious jiu jitsu bad asses. I have also rolled with quite a few women who were white, blue and purple belts. None of them beat me in any kind of serious scored match, however plenty of them were tough jiu jitsu players and I have found myself in adverse situations from time to time while rolling with them.

20. Cavpilot

Cavpilot White Belt

Not a big deal. Get over it.
    For those of you who think you would never lose to a female, you're an idiot, and most likely boasting to compensate for having a small dick.

What's the difference between losing to a woman and losing to a guy who is significantly smaller/ lighter/ weaker than you? If you get beat by technique, you get beat by technique, doesn't matter whose technique it is.

I've rolled with and beaten dudes who outweighed me by 30-50 pounds. If I lost to a girl, giving up 30 pounds, I would congratulate her on winning by better technique. You should do the same.
    Similarly I knew chicks in the Army who were every bit the warriors that most of the men were and have mad respect for them. Get with the times.

Don't be one of those macho douchebags who feels your masculinity threatened.