Who has more influence?

Shotcy

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So Woodley seems to be mad at the fans for discussing who deserves the next shot and voicing there opinion. If I'm not mistaken this discussion happens for every division without other champs complaining about the fans saying I should fight fighter x or y.

Ultimately the UFC decides who the champ fights next. So with that, do you think the fans hold more input then the champ on who to fight next? With the recent title shot being gifted to Dan Henderson I'd have to say the fans. I don't care for Woodley's antics here. Nothing wrong with calling out GSP as that's a legit ass fight but the Diaz call out is bananas and desperate looking.

Majority of the fans are not happy with the obvious route Woodley had taken to making money. Dude is getting mad at us for being annoyed by his desperation, not Kool.

The Brass has all the influence, and they make their decision based off of how much money they think the fans are going to spend.

Wonderboy fans don't realize then WB can just sit out and wait for Woodley/GSP to be done.

The winner will probably be GSP and Wonderboy can enjoy making 5 times more money fighting GSP then Woodley. No one is going to surpass WB as #1 contender.

He should shut the fuck up, be patient and not take anymore fights till he gets a title shot.

Wonderboy fans don't realize then WB can just sit out and wait for Woodley/GSP to be done.

The winner will probably be GSP and Wonderboy can enjoy making 5 times more money fighting GSP then Woodley. No one is going to surpass WB as #1 contender.

He should shut the fuck up, be patient and not take anymore fights till he gets a title shot.
Unless they decide that GSP/Diaz would sell more tickets. Then he has to wait for the winner of that.

Its actually been funny to me Woodley thinking he has all the chips in front of him just because he has the belt. Realistically he can say what he wants, but when it comes down to it the UFC is going to make the fight they want to make. And I legit hope its the Wonderboy fight, just to prove to ol Woodley what he says, doesn't mean jack shit.

giphy.gif

Woodley doesn't really have power here. If he refuses to fight, the UFC could strip him of his title without losing much. He doesn't make them money. In fact, he might be an unwanted expense, looking at his last fight purse of $370k. If the UFC is adament about making the Wonderboy fight, Woodley would probably have to accept or lose his title. Which is a good thing, because it's unhealthy to allow champions to pick and choose their challengers, and even worse if they choose to sit out and not fight at all.

Fighters like McGregor and Rousey and GSP make the UFC money, and thus have power where Woodley doesn't. They destroyed their landmark event because their biggest draw wanted to do less media, so I imagine they're willing to strip a paper champion for refusing to fight.

I imagine they're willing to strip a paper champion for refusing to fight.

While I dislike Woodley as much as any other fighter, I don’t think it’s fair to call him a “paper champ”.

While I dislike Woodley as much as any other fighter, I don’t think it’s fair to call him a “paper champ”.
If we're using the term "champion" to represent the best fighter in the division, then it's tough to make a strong case for Woodley being that. He has so many things going against him:
  1. He was dominated by Rory MacDonald not long before the "win" that earned him the title shot
  2. He's an inactive fighter
  3. He refuses to fight top contenders
  4. He had a draw against fringe contender Kelvin Gastelum
  5. While the finish against Robbie was decisive, it could easily be a fluke. He didn't prove his superiority in a prolonged fight
  6. Robbie arguably shouldn't have even had the title, since the majority opinion is that he lost to Carlos Condit
  7. He was about 11th in line for a title shot, and shouldn't have even received it
Wonderboy decisively beat Rory MacDonald in a 5-round fight recently, and is on the biggest win streak in the division and 4th biggest on the active roster. He fits the criteria of "champion" much more than Woodley does. Woodley is champion de jure. Wonderboy is champion de facto.

Here's the thing: Woodley, like everyone else on the roster, ultimately gets paid by the fans. If no one watches his fights, he makes less money. So if he continues to shit on the fans and call us out (instead of the #1 contender, Stephen Thompson), he may find that there are no "money fights" for him, regardless of who he fights (though possible exceptions would be if he were to fight, say, a large pack of rabid, hungry wolves).

Back