Who has/had most aggressive grappling style?

680854573x356.jpg

Yep, pretty much. But if he's facing someone with better takedowns, he.... *gasp*... also does the berimbolo.

Always interesting to see him fight a guy like Leo Leite who would smash him in the standup. Rodolfo doesnt risk a single point. Just pulls guard and goes straight for the Berimbolo. Just shows how well rounded he is.

Some blue belt you've never heard of who loses positions all the time because he does dumb stuff like try to pass without addressing opponents grips or goes for finishes before he establishes his position.

Okay one vote for flyingnecklock.

Oh and Rickson via arm bar.

I don't know why people act like those things imply aggression. Just like people act in MMA that fighters who prefer to strike are necessarily aggressive. Plenty of top position grapplers were slow as hell and stalled out wins, primarily because of good takedowns and a heavy top game. But rest assured, they're not treating grappling as a fight.

By the way, if you want to treat grappling as a fight, I would suggest actually fighting.

Yeah, by that logic of top control and takedowns: GSP, Shields and Fitch are/were the most aggresive mma grapplers.

Braulio is offensive but not reckless for that measure

I'm about to see everyone disagree with me but Rafael Mendes. Anytime he has the option to attack he will.

Everybody who trained under Karl Gotch. He did not believe in "lying on your back like a whore looking for a customer".

Matt Holt for sure. I love watching him grapple, its a real bummer that Fila doesn't have grappling anymore!!

Last edited:
Tom & Terry Brands & Mark Schultz come to mind when I think of aggressive wrestlers who beat the sh*t ouuta guys on the mat. Brock Lesnar was like this as well.

Nobody said Palhares? Prime Mir. Prime Barnett. Early Matt Serra. And a personal fav of mine but not very popular overall, Sean Sherk as a wrestler (not a boxer). He used to go from level change to shot, to re-shot in the blink of an eye and shoot through people. And he had great scrambles and activity on the ground.

Nobody said Palhares? Prime Mir. Prime Barnett. Early Matt Serra. And a personal fav of mine but not very popular overall, Sean Sherk as a wrestler (not a boxer). He used to go from level change to shot, to re-shot in the blink of an eye and shoot through people. And he had great scrambles and activity on the ground.

Great list, I was on my way back in here to mention Paul Harris.

By aggressive, I think you mean guys who go forward and attack the whole time as though it's a fight as opposed to a match where strategy and points decide the flow.

By that criteria, bjj guys are, in general, not very aggressive and it is for mostly that reason as to why I believe they struggle so much in mma.

I think the most aggressive guy who had a lot of success was probably Marcelo. He doesn't back off and allow any sort of reset or stand up once he gets on top. He scrambles out of bad spots instead of shelling up. And he doesn't play a waiting game when it comes to guard.

Rodolfo has a pretty aggressive passing game. Always pressuring and going forward.

Back