Who Has Fought The Toughest Competition Upon Entering UFC?

Lesnar.

Mir (top 5)
HH (top 10)
Randy (top 5)
Mir again (top 5)
Carwin (top 5)
Cain (top 5)
Overreem (top 5)
Hunt (top 10)

Most were actually top 3 in the division when Lesnar fought them. Out of his 8 UFC fights, 8 have been against top 10 ranked opponents.

Mir was not top 5 when Lesnar fought him the first time, wasn't even top 15

This crossed my mind after the Gaethje fight this weekend. He was immediately thrown to the wolves against Michael Johnson, who is never an easy out and has some of the fastest hands out there. Then he fought the ex-champ and renowned brawler Eddie Alvarez. Next was Dustin Diamond who, again, is a very skilled brawler and if the UFC made fights based on merit has a great claim to a title shot behind the LW holy trinity. Vick was a step down but still respectable.

I'm a relatively new fan so while I've watched all the legends, I wasn't around to witness the Pride greats crossing over to UFC. In recent times Brock Lesnar comes to mind as well. He definitely got matched up with killers to start his UFC career and did very well, eventually capturing the belt.

Who comes to mind when you all think of a fighter who immediately began facing elite competition as soon as they began fighting in the UFC?
most people hate him but he is going to be a GOAT of WW whether they like it or not. it's time for haters to suck his dick. tyron woodley. Daniel cormier and romero are other options. romero fought nothing but killers. All 3 are my favourite fighters of all time.

most people hate him but he is going to be a GOAT of WW whether they like it or not. it's time for haters to suck his dick. tyron woodley. Daniel cormier and romero are other options. romero fought nothing but killers. All 3 are my favourite fighters of all time.
I disagree with Woodley and Romero fighting monsters as soon as they started in UFC. Many guys previously discussed had harder roads to start off then both of those guys (and I'm indifferent about Woodley so I'm not trying to discredit him for personal reasons - I think he's a great champ and faced decent competition at the start of his UFC career). DC on the other hand started out with Mir, Nelson, Cummins, Hendo... nothing to scoff at for sure.

Eddie, Marlon and Justin are all up there and they should be facing tough competition...they were all champions in their respective organizations. Woulda been lame to give them unranked fighters or even #5-10 guys...

If you’re a champ, you deserve to fight at the top of the division

If you dont count strike force, DC is up there.

Its facicious you ignant turd.
I'm not quite sure what "facicious" means, perhaps you were attempting to spell "facetious"? If so, the topic is nowhere near serious, and your comment regarding it was humourless.

Try a different angle to try to disguise how stupid your comment was.

FACT!

Brock is the greatest part time fighter of all time:

- He showed what can be achieved with pure athleticism: UFC Gold & NCAA.
- He hold the two most respected belts in sports entertaiment: WWE & UFC
- He fought killers from the beginning
- He just came to the UFC and made millions.
- He never pussied out and he even fought Cain and Ubereem, though he wasnt 100% healthy.
- Brock Lesnar is the only man Fedor was afraid of.

and much more ...

giphy.gif

This crossed my mind after the Gaethje fight this weekend. He was immediately thrown to the wolves against Michael Johnson, who is never an easy out and has some of the fastest hands out there. Then he fought the ex-champ and renowned brawler Eddie Alvarez. Next was Dustin Diamond who, again, is a very skilled brawler and if the UFC made fights based on merit has a great claim to a title shot behind the LW holy trinity. Vick was a step down but still respectable.

I'm a relatively new fan so while I've watched all the legends, I wasn't around to witness the Pride greats crossing over to UFC. In recent times Brock Lesnar comes to mind as well. He definitely got matched up with killers to start his UFC career and did very well, eventually capturing the belt.

Who comes to mind when you all think of a fighter who immediately began facing elite competition as soon as they began fighting in the UFC?

Lina Landsberg vs Cyborg

No one compares to:

Yuji Nagata

News years eve 2001 he faced a CroCop (1-0-1 at the time) as his first ever pro MMA fight. He lasted 21 seconds.

He took 2 years away to build up his skills and regain his confidence.

News years eve 2003 he faces Fedor as his second ever MMA fight. He does almost 3 times better!!! Tkoed after 62 seconds.

He called it a day after that.

Rampage had a nice run of 10 good fighters to start his UFC career, albeit he was a veteran of MMA by the time he moved to the UFC.
Eastman II
Chuck Liddell
Dan Henderson
Forest Griffen
Wandy
Jardine
Sugar Rashad
Lyoto Machida
Matt Hammel
Jon Jones

No one compares to:

Yuji Nagata

News years eve 2001 he faced a CroCop (1-0-1 at the time) as his first ever pro MMA fight. He lasted 21 seconds.

He took 2 years away to build up his skills and regain his confidence.

News years eve 2003 he faces Fedor as his second ever MMA fight. He does almost 3 times better!!! Tkoed after 62 seconds.

He called it a day after that.
Lol.

Alvarez is up there with Cerrone, Melendez, Pettis, RDA, Conor, Gaethje, Dustin x2

Lesnar.

Mir (top 5)
HH (top 10)
Randy (top 5)
Mir again (top 5)
Carwin (top 5)
Cain (top 5)
Overreem (top 5)
Hunt (top 10)

Most were actually top 3 in the division when Lesnar fought them. Out of his 8 UFC fights, 8 have been against top 10 ranked opponents.
Top ranked “heavyweight” opponents, some of which were 50 lbs smaller than him.

Back