Who Has Fought The Toughest Competition Upon Entering UFC?

YOLOGOGOPLATA

4x Champ Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This crossed my mind after the Gaethje fight this weekend. He was immediately thrown to the wolves against Michael Johnson, who is never an easy out and has some of the fastest hands out there. Then he fought the ex-champ and renowned brawler Eddie Alvarez. Next was Dustin Diamond who, again, is a very skilled brawler and if the UFC made fights based on merit has a great claim to a title shot behind the LW holy trinity. Vick was a step down but still respectable.

I'm a relatively new fan so while I've watched all the legends, I wasn't around to witness the Pride greats crossing over to UFC. In recent times Brock Lesnar comes to mind as well. He definitely got matched up with killers to start his UFC career and did very well, eventually capturing the belt.

Who comes to mind when you all think of a fighter who immediately began facing elite competition as soon as they began fighting in the UFC?

wsof guys got tossed in for sure

moraes had assuncao dodson aljo and rivera

First one that comes to mind is Brock.

Lesnar.

Mir (top 5)
HH (top 10)
Randy (top 5)
Mir again (top 5)
Carwin (top 5)
Cain (top 5)
Overreem (top 5)
Hunt (top 10)

Most were actually top 3 in the division when Lesnar fought them. Out of his 8 UFC fights, 8 have been against top 10 ranked opponents.

Yuji Nagata:
1st fight: Cro Cop
2nd fight: Fedor
*Retires as a legend*

Eddie himself faced a murderers row considering who they were in the division at the time.

- Cowboy, during his reign of terror over contenders in the lightweight division. Was on a four fight win streak, would go on to win three more, and eventually challenge for the title.

- Melendez, who was one fight removed from challenging for the title and who everyone had ranked at least top five, if not top three at the time.

- Pettis, who was one fight removed from being champion.

- RDA, who was the champion, 10-1 in his last eleven, and on a five fight win streak with names like Bendo, Nate, Pettis, and Cowboy.

GSP has to be up there.

Hieron, Parisyan, Hughes, Trigg, Sherk, Miller,Penn.

Weidman???
Maia was his 4th fight and he captured the belt from Silva in his 6th fight but I didn't recognize any of the guys he fought befire Maia.
Could u give some background on those guys? Alessio Sakara, Jesse Bongfeldt, Tom Lawler - or were u basing it on his quick rise to the title?

Maia was his 4th fight and he captured the belt from Silva in his 6th fight but I didn't recognize any of the guys he fought befire Maia.
Could u give some background on those guys? Alessio Sakara, Jesse Bongfeldt, Tom Lawler - or were u basing it on his quick rise to the title?
I was going to edit and put Alvarez but was like fuck it. I'll take the L.

Yuji Nagata:
1st fight: Cro Cop
2nd fight: Fedor
*Retires as a legend*
That's not UFC is it?
I was going to edit and put Alvarez but was like fuck it. I'll take the L.
Nah man, I wasn't trying to discredit you, Weidman's 4-6 fights were Maia, Munoz, and Silva. Those are super tough matchups so early in his career. I was just looking for guys who immediately got thrown to the wolves in their 1st/2nd UFC fights . I appreciate your answer, it's always fun to remember how quickly teh Chris became the champ

The answer is always fedor...little boys obsessed with dude bods and lifting aka gsp..connor fans

Back