Who had best uppercuts?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
Who was the boxer in the history of boxing who can be said to be the best at utilizing uppercuts?

Dc73js.gif

Who was the boxer in the history of boxing who can be said to be the best at utilizing uppercuts?

Dc73js.gif
I was just thinking that Zab had a great uppercut. Tyson also comes to mind with his body shot uppercut combo. George Foreman also.

Mike Tyson, without a doubt. No one threw the uppercut like Tyson.

At 13:15. This one sticks out in my memory. If not for his neck his head would have hit the third row.

Ricardo Lopez obviously. He was one of the rare fighters that would use the left uppercut as a lead, and to devastating results. Also, it was standard practice for him to mix uppercuts into almost all of his combos. He often seemed to favor closing a three punch combo with the left upper instead of the more conventional left hook. A true master of the uppercut.

Last edited:
Mike Tyson and there is not even a remotely close second.

Tyson is my all time favorite, but Foreman blew my mind a couple times also.
!
"George Foreman has blown away Gerry "[[,÷_ in the 2nd round!"

I love me some Uppercuts so to give some smaller/ runner-up categories.

Most versatile uppercuts Gavilan, or Robinson.
Lead uppercuts Benton, Burley, Arguello
Lead uppercuts to the body Lloyd marshall, Mike McCallum

Outstanding KOs not mentioned Muhammed vs Mwale, Walcott vs Charles

Naseem Hamed had an awesome leaping corkscrew lead uppercut. You can see it in this breakdown at 50 secs in. Timestamped.

Anthony Joshua has a pretty decent uppercut too. The one he hit Wlad with was a thing of beauty. Timestamped

And the one against Dillian Whyte was pretty nice too.

I love me some Uppercuts so to give some smaller/ runner-up categories.

Most versatile uppercuts Gavilan, or Robinson.
Lead uppercuts Benton, Burley, Arguello
Lead uppercuts to the body Lloyd marshall, Mike McCallum

Outstanding KOs not mentioned Muhammed vs Mwale, Walcott vs Charles

Who do you think was THE master of uppercuts out of them all

Naseem Hamed had an awesome leaping corkscrew lead uppercut. You can see it in this breakdown at 50 secs in. Timestamped.

You know, I wonder if Conor learned from Naseem, because for some reason, his movement with the lead uppercut and getting the angle on the guy reminds me of Conor

Ricardo Lopez obviously. He was one of the rare fighters that would use the left uppercut as a lead, and to devastating results. Also, it was standard practice for him to mix uppercuts into almost all of his combos. He often seemed to favor closing a three punch combo with the left upper instead of the more conventional left hook. A true master of the uppercut.

How good was this guy? If you look at his boxingrec record, he didn't really fight many guys with a legit good record like for example Pacquiao have faced in his career, there are lots and lots of fighters who probably shouldn't have been in the ring with him in his prime

You know, I wonder if Conor learned from Naseem, because for some reason, his movement with the lead uppercut and getting the angle on the guy reminds me of Conor
I reckon you could be right and Conor seems to have been influenced by Nas.

How good was this guy? If you look at his boxingrec record, he didn't really fight many guys with a legit good record like for example Pacquiao have faced in his career, there are lots and lots of fighters who probably shouldn't have been in the ring with him in his prime
He had textbook example technique. Not the greatest resume but he did prove himself against Alvarez and was undefeated. It would have been a rough obstacle to surmount after getting dropped and cut but would have been nice to see if he could have won the first fight if they hadn't stopped it.

Anthony Joshua has a pretty decent uppercut too. The one he hit Wlad with was a thing of beauty. Timestamped

And the one against Dillian Whyte was pretty nice too.

AJ and Canelo are leading the way for current fighters imo. Both go to them pretty regularly.

As much as I hate to say so, because I'm a huge Vitali fan, Lennox Lewis.

AJ and Canelo are leading the way for current fighters imo. Both go to them pretty regularly.
Oh yeah forgot Canelo, he has some pretty mean counter uppercuts.

He had textbook example technique. Not the greatest resume but he did prove himself against Alvarez and was undefeated. It would have been a rough obstacle to surmount after getting dropped and cut but would have been nice to see if he could have won the first fight if they hadn't stopped it.
He might have been able to, but I thought he was looking pretty flustered in the later rounds from all the problems Alvarez was giving him.
Lopez had a lot of good names on his resume but if you don’t follow the lowest weight class they might not ring out, in addition in most cases he blew these guys out of water.
There is always the he never went up in weight thing but you c@nt take a perfect record with supreme skills away from him.

Back