Who had a better career in MMA?.. Matt Hughes or BJ Penn?

Hughes by far. He actually beat GSP once, while BJ got whooped by "Rush" 2 times.

At first glance, Hughes.
But Hughes' career accomplishments were pretty much completely overshadowed by the very next champion in his division.
Penn made some weird moves over the course of his career, but he also sought out challenges that we'll probably never see another LW champ face again.

Penn's record is worse but he is still more beloved and probably richer too.

That's gotta count for something.

I would have to say Hughes. BJ's Career was more interesting, but technically anybody can get their ass kicked in other weight divisions.

The fact that BJ beat Matt convincingly in 2 of their 3 fights, while being undersized, proves he was the better fighter.

But that's not the question...as far as who had the better career - it's too subjective. Hughes was a pioneer who stuck to what he knew. He was one of the first dominant wrestlers to really become consistent in the modern age of MMA (post Kerr and Coleman who dominated before general MMA fighters were well-rounded). He had great come from behind wins against Trigg, BJ and GSP. He defended the belt twice as much as BJ.

Saying that, BJ took -- by far -- the harder road, fighting elite competition in several weight classes above his natural weight. Obviously having mixed success, but that's the price he paid doing what no other fighter really does these days.

Imagine Hughes' success if he spent half his career at MW. We wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Hughes, but BJ was the better, more exciting and more likable fighter.

Hughes. How is this even a question? 2 Title runs, 7 title defenses, 10+ top 10 wins, and a peak record of 41-4.

How is anyone picking BJ? He may have beat Hughes, but Hughes overall career was much better. Bj may have won two titles but he never defended it at 170 and ended up with a terrible record at 170 with many one sided beatdown losses. He also ended his career moving down and looking horrible.

Even though BJ kept fighting too long and racked up some unnecessary losses he's still a two division champ. Not to mention BJ's frame is best suited for FW or LW yet he got the WW strap. The 2-1 record against Hughes doesn't hurt either.

Hughes looks better on paper with 7 overall title defenses (non-consecutive). BJ's career was far more interesting and noteworthy.

2 div champ (only 2 in UFC history).
3 division fighter.
Only LW champ to fight at HW.
Dropped the belt voluntarily to chase the best competition
Fought only true UFC champ vs UFC champ superfight in UFC history.

He just had this crazy unique career.
this is a fair take. hughes had the consistent and dominant run, but bj did some ballsy things (and beat hughes twice). nod to hughes, but hats off to penn.

Alright look here's the deal. Hughes was a very talented fighter who at his best could put on a great war. Hughes vs. Trigg 2 is what got me into MMA. That said, people come on. Hughes was a one dimensional second phase of MMA history fighter. BJ was part of the Fedor/A. Silva/GSP/BJ pound for pound core argument that was thee whole goddam deal for YEARS. And you knoW those four dudes cemented what MMA truly is and always will be from then on. Those first four pound for pound GOATs defined what true MMA expertise is: Being a master of striking aNd grappling and being able to seamlessly transition between the two wherever the fight goes. And to anyone saying Hughes beat BJ once..Snap out of it!!! Look into it BJ legitimately had his RIB BROKEN in the second round by Hughes and still got Hughes in a triangle/armbar that he was 20 seconds away from tapping from but got saved by the bell while "saying a little prayer". And then BJ didn't tell his corner he was f--ked up and went out and took a beating because he's fearless. It doesn't get any more classic than that. BJ and Randy Couture's records don't represent what they meant to the sport because they fought the illest killers pretty much every fight. And Fedor/Spider/GSP/BJ all wound up taking beatings at the end of their runs that we all wish we hadn't seen. But if you think that takes away from what they did, what they meant to the sport, and the level they achieved when they were at their best you simply do not know what you're talking about.

I have all the respect in the world for guys like Penn who go out there and fight the best win or lose. He never ducked anyone and in many cases fought larger opponents who were naturally bigger and stronger than him. Penn fought the best he didn't give a shit about protecting his record.

I have all the respect in the world for guys like Penn who go out there and fight the best win or lose. He never ducked anyone and in many cases fought larger opponents who were naturally bigger and stronger than him. Penn fought the best he didn't give a shit about protecting his record.

Hughes didn't care about protecting his record either but he was still able to build a 41-4 peak record fighting almost as tough of comp as Penn.

Hughes didn't care about protecting his record either but he was still able to build a 41-4 peak record fighting almost as tough of comp as Penn.

I never said Hughes was protecting his record. Just comparing Penn in general to other UFC champions and hall of famers. Hughes is without question one of the greatest champions in MMA history and was considered by many to be the top P4P fighter in the sport for a while. But I still give the edge to Penn because I favor guys like him who go out there and show incredible courage to fight bigger highly skilled fighters.

Penn clearly didn't give a fuck who he fought. Going up and down in weight weight classes and being successful while having to overcome a size disadvantage many times. His record may not be spectacular but he never backed down and fought some incredible competition.

It's so damned difficult to compare those who dominate and reign within a specific domain with the Icaruses of sports.

I'll go with BJ. Getting the belt in two weight classes is a big deal for me. As is the smaller fighter getting the best of their three fights. Nothing clear-cut about it, though.

Hughes and it's not even a question. It's like asking who had a better career, Big Nog or Randy Couture.

If not for GSP, Hughes would be close to Fedor level of dominance. His final years competing were pretty meh, but that's not exactly rare in this sport.

4.gif

Hughes because he stayed in one division and dominated it for a long time unlike Penn who mostly lost when he moved up in weight.

Hughes had a smarter career, but he lost twice to BJ (both finishes) and BJ is a 2 weight champ. Easy really

Back