Who gets the next shot at Lawler?

Who get the next shot at Lawler?

• Total voters
I am serious. Why is Woodley more worthy than anyone listed 1-10?

He was the "#1 contender" because there were no options. Woodley being a shitty contender is partially why many didn't give a shit that Condit got the shot. It didn't really matter. He's since chosen to sit out while others have fought. A champion shouldn't sit back and refuse to fight while picking and choosing his contenders.

Didn't read any of this horse crap,but start a thread with the title;

"Woodley should be 11th in line for a Welterweight title shot"

Do this. I'm begging you. Please. If you truly believe your own argument,do it.

I am serious though. I don't (and never did) see the justification for giving Woodley the shot. Why does Dana White saying "Woodley gets the next shot" mean anything to anyone? Realistically, considering all possible contenders, Woodley is 11th in line for a Welterweight title shot:
  1. Conor McGregor if he beats Rafael dos Anjos
  2. Stephen Thompson
  3. Georges St-Pierre if he returns
  4. Carlos Condit rematch
  5. Demian Maia if he beats Matt Brown
  6. Nick Diaz rematch
  7. Matt Brown if he beats Demian Maia
  8. Neil Magny if he beats Hector Lombard
  9. Hector Lombard if he beats Neil Magny
  10. Rory MacDonald rematch
  11. Tyron Woodley
Why should he jump over all of those contenders just because Dana made an empty promise?
I appreciate the drawn out post, but you wasted your time, bro. Not really here to debate with you on why DW is a POS.

Because Sherdog is not MMA fan community anymore,its WWE
Why is Diaz an option but not Maia?

I'm being realistic in terms of the UFC's thinking. You think they don't see the $ signs in a fight with Diaz? Maia would have a very good shot at beating Lawler if he could get it to the ground. Do you really think the UFC wants an old Maia as its champion? Not hating on Maia or any other contender, just being honest.

We'll have to see how the injuries work out.

I'm being realistic in terms of the UFC's thinking. You think they don't see the $ signs in a fight with Diaz? Maia would have a very good shot at beating Lawler if he could get it to the ground. Do you really think the UFC wants an old Maia as its champion? Not hating on Maia or any other contender, just being honest.

Fuck dollar signs,us MMA fans shouldn't have to beg for a single victory in last 3 fights to give TS to a fighter. I don't think UFC is considering a title shot for Diaz either.

Its a huge disgrace to the sport

Didn't read any of this horse crap,but start a thread with the title;

"Woodley should be 11th in line for a Welterweight title shot"

Do this. I'm begging you. Please. If you truly believe your own argument,do it.

You don't read my posts, so you want me to start a thread?

I want to either educate or be educated, so I'd like you to try and respond. I'm genuinely just trying to understand why people want to give Woodley the title shot. I think he has a bad resumé, a lower chance than many of beating Lawler, isn't particularly marketable, and also isn't a very exciting fighter outside of the power he possesses early. So why him, of all the contenders?

I'll start the thread though, for you.

I appreciate the drawn out post, but you wasted your time, bro. Not really here to debate with you on why DW is a POS.
I'm genuinely trying to understand your (and others') thinking. Why does Woodley deserve the shot more than #1-#10 on my drawn out list? You already implied that it isn't solely about Dana's promise, by refusing me my theoretical title shot were Dana to offer it to me. Fighting skills and achievements must factor into the decision-making, and If that's the case then why does Woodley get the shot?

Condit should be the current champion.

th
But, sadly, he's not. We gotta move on. I wonder if he's decided if he's gonna retire?

Fuck dollar signs,us MMA fans shouldn't have to beg for a single victory in last 3 fights to give TS to a fighter. I don't think UFC is considering a title shot for Diaz either.

Its a huge disgrace to the sport

Tell it to Jacare, bud. I hope you were this passionate about him getting constantly shafted.

I'd be fine with thompson or condit.

Tell it to Jacare, bud. I hope you were this passionate about him getting constantly shafted.
Meh. Personally, I never really felt like he deserved it. good streak against mostly lesser fighters. best guy he beat is mousasi and he's not even top 10 material.

I want to either educate or be educated, so I'd like you to try and respond. I'm genuinely just trying to understand why people want to give Woodley the title shot. I think he has a bad resumé, a lower chance than many of beating Lawler, isn't particularly marketable, and also isn't a very exciting fighter outside of the power he possesses early. So why him, of all the contenders?

I'm genuinely trying to understand your (and others') thinking. Why does Woodley deserve the shot more than #1-#10 on my drawn out list? You already implied that it isn't solely about Dana's promise, by refusing me my theoretical title shot were Dana to offer it to me. Fighting skills and achievements must factor into the decision-making, and If that's the case then why does Woodley get the shot?

I don't have to read the post when you actually start the thread,its good enough knowing that you will be rekt by other posters.

Woodley deserves a title shot because he deserved it over Condit for starters. He has good wins over Condit,DHK,Gastelum so he already matches up with any other contender.

As for the Rory loss,there's no shame in losing #2 ranked fighter in the division,especially if that fighter just fought for a title. Shouldn't effect his contender status

Lol *****, shut up.

I don't have to read the post when you actually start the thread,its good enough knowing that you will be rekt by other posters.

Woodley deserves a title shot because he deserved it over Condit for starters. He has good wins over Condit,DHK,Gastelum so he already matches up with any other contender.

As for the Rory loss,there's no shame in losing #2 ranked fighter in the division,especially if that fighter just fought for a title. Shouldn't effect his contender status
Wins and losses always affect contender status, to varying degrees. He was dominated in the Rory fight, and that matters. Content of the wins and losses matter. "Champion" is a title that represents the best of the division. Woodley was clearly beaten not too long ago. He lost not that long before his split decision win. Loads of time has passed since then. Most top welterweights have had multiple fights in that time. And the win over Gastelum was far from "good". The Condit win was sketchy too.

Why would Nick Diaz get the next shot at the WW title ? The amount of bum love on Sherdog for this guy is ridiculous

Wins and losses always affect contender status, to varying degrees. He was dominated in the Rory fight, and that matters. Content of the wins and losses matter. "Champion" is a title that represents the best of the division. Woodley was clearly beaten not too long ago. He lost not that long before his split decision win. Loads of time has passed since then. Most top welterweights have had multiple fights in that time. And the win over Gastelum was far from "good". The Condit win was sketchy too.

First of all,I do believe that Thompson deserves it also. It should be either one of them who gets the next title shot. But that list was fucking retarded.

For example,how do you explain the 'Diaz rematch' option being ahead of Woodley? Now that I know you believe wins and LOSSES afect contender status,how is losing all of your last 3 fights(2 of them ranked lower than Rory) and literally having ZERO top1512512512512 wins in last 5 years except zombie Penn is better than Woodley's last fights ?

Woodley just because he was promised and I want to see Robbie get a finish and another fight before he goes up against Wonderboy. I mean, fuck, he just fought MacDonald and Condit, the two most dangerous fighters in the division besides Thompson now. Give Woodley his shot, let Robbie beat him down and give Wonderboy another fight in the meantime.

But I wouldn't mind it if Wonderboy gets the shot.

First of all,I do believe that Thompson deserves it also. It should be either one of them who gets the next title shot. But that list was fucking retarded.

For example,how do you explain the 'Diaz rematch' option being ahead of Woodley? Now that I know you believe wins and LOSSES afect contender status,how is losing all of your last 3 fights(2 of them ranked lower than Rory) and literally having ZERO top1512512512512 wins in last 5 years except zombie Penn is better than Woodley's last fights ?
It's a combination of my opinion of his fighting skills, that it'd be an entertaining fight, and that it'd be a better fight business-wise than Woodley. His win over Lawler is also a nice side storyline. Despite his time out of the sport and lack of wins, I and many still give him as good (if not better) a chance of beating Lawler as Woodley. He's a great fighter, and he's shown that over the years. I'd be very curious to see how that striking match played out.

The things he has going against him are, like you say, the inactivity and lack of wins, and also the fact that he can't fight until August. Woodley is also inactive and hasn't won in a while. Woodley doesn't come close to his positives though.

Woodley deserves a title shot because he deserved it over Condit for starters.
I meant to respond to this point and forgot.

Is this the reason why people want Woodley to get the shot? To retroactively justify Condit's title shot? Something like that? If that's the case, then that's a bad line of thinking. Condit got the shot because it produced a potentially exciting fight. He wasn't really deserving. But it's in the past. This is kind of like chasing lost money in gambling. If the money's in the pot then it's gone. Or like making use of a bad purchase just to justify the purchase. Woodley, right now, doesn't have a good case if you stack it up against some of the other welterweights.

Back