Who gets ASMR? Your triggers? Describe the feeling?

"Zoned-out, calm, and relaxed"?

I fail to see how this is a 'phenomenon' and not just some normal stuff the brain does. What purpose do you see in giving this it's own special designation? Is it a condition that is somehow problematic for you?

Its not problematic, but its definitely a weird, unique feeling. And a phenomenon is a situation that happens, so normal stuff that the brain does falls in that category.

Its kind of like deja vu. Does deja vu deserve mention of being a unique phenomenon? Its something that the brain just does, but to anyone who has experienced it, its not the normal everyday experience. Saying you feel like something has happened before doesnt quite sum it up, I come to work everyday, sit in the same chair and post on sherdog, so it feels like this has happened before, but its not deja vu. Similarly, saying you feel calm, zoned out and relaxed the same way you would in other situations doesnt quite do the experience justice.

I believe this is called Rolling on ecstasy
Are you rolling brah?

Is it like tunnel vision where the sounds/images seems to slow down and then start to quickly speed/sharpen up in ...or is this different.

Last edited:
I used to get it when I was getting haircuts as a kid, or watching Bob Ross reruns, when someone would talk in a soothing manner, etc. Now I sometimes watch ASMR vids to help fall asleep. And actually, TS, I would describe my personal perception of it exactly as a mildly-euphoric feeling of a tingling sensation that starts in the head and runs down the spine. Here's a vid from a poplar ASMR'er explains it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tEm0U75DfuA

is the feeling similar to that of getting goosebumps but kind of in the back of your brain?

The science behind it is weak, but I don't doubt that it is a real phenomenon. Once there is a actual motivation to study it, I think neurologist will find a way to quantify it, but as of now it doesn't adversely affect people and no one has invested significantly in the potential knowledge that might come from studying it.

I used to get it when I was getting haircuts as a kid, or watching Bob Ross reruns

Serious nostalgia. I used to go brain dead and not even blink when I watched Boss Ross.

I tried watching some of his vids on youtube when I was older but it wasn't the same. Still cool though.

I don't quite understand... So is this like a relaxed feeling when someone is teaching you something? Like being engrossed in learning something interesting?

"ASMR" is Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. But I prefer Attention Induced Observant Euphoria; a better, more descriptive term for this phenomenon.

It seems most people don't have it/get it, or at least they don't know that they do.

What it is (how I would describe it), is a vaguely hypnotic, blissful sensation that some people occasionally get when someone else is doing something for you, or to you (non-sexual), showing you how to do something, explaining or describing what they're doing and all involving a soothing voice, sounds, and demeanor.

It's not a "brain orgasm" (it's not sexual at all)
It's not "head tingles" (chicks describe everything as 'tingly')

Who gets or has "ASMR"?
How would you describe what it is?
How would you describe the feeling?
What are your strongest triggers?

I experience vaguely hypnotic blissful sensations all the time. Usually when out in nature, driving through a scenic canyon, playing with my babies, etc.

Sounds dope, somebody hook a brother up.

Closest I have got to this is chills listening to particular music, by which I mean to say, not very close.

Yes i get this when certain people are talking to me or showing me something. I get an almost drugged feeling of calm, like a benzo is kicking in or something like that.

I've tried to find some commonality between the people who evoke it, but I can't find anything.

I really notice it because I get anxiety, and so when I get a strange calming effect it's a significant release.

***EDIT: In other words, these Youtube 'ASMR' videos don't do it for me. It only happens in real life situations for me***

These Youtube videos out there that try to induce ASMR are a weak substitute at best.

Mostly they those videos are a bit weird and induce other, unintended things.

[YT]g3Zg-Nmspks[/YT]

I was able to get a bit of the sensation from this. Crazy

I don't quite understand... So is this like a relaxed feeling when someone is teaching you something? Like being engrossed in learning something interesting?

You know when your eyes get relaxed, and settled on staring at nothing? It's kind of like this, but a stronger sense of calm.

Never even knew there was a name for this and I havent thought about this since I was a kid. But I know I have definitely had it, when someone was explaining shit to me, weird.

Is it like tunnel vision where the sounds/images seems to slow down and then start to quickly speed/sharpen up in ...or is this different.

Maybe somewhat like tunnel vision, in that, your focus does NOT go elsewhere (though your peripheral doesn't blackout or anything). But there's no slowing down and then speeding up sensation. And again, it's always a positive, good feeling.

Different than the tunnel vision you might get when playing sports... like in Baseball when your focusing on the dinger that might go over your head if you don't get on your horse and catch up to it. You're tracking it the whole time with your eyes and that might seem like it's in slow motion, but the rest of you is hauling ass.

I used to get it when I was getting haircuts as a kid, or watching Bob Ross reruns, when someone would talk in a soothing manner, etc. Now I sometimes watch ASMR vids to help fall asleep. And actually, TS, I would describe my personal perception of it exactly as a mildly-euphoric feeling of a tingling sensation that starts in the head and runs down the spine. Here's a vid from a poplar ASMR'er explains it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tEm0U75DfuA

Yeah, I'm not down with the "tingling" description. It hits me more like a wave or flushing sensation in general (not down the spine, specifically).

I haven't done it, but I'm gonna try falling asleep to some of those vids and audio podcasts (iTunes).

Ok so apparently I have it. I've felt plenty of blissful sensations throughout my life, especially through meditation and outdoorsy stuff involving beautiful natural scenery but also from cuddling with my wife / kids. As another poster mentioned I recall feeling mildly hypnotized when getting haircuts as a child.

Just watched the video with the girl whispering about books and I get a warm fuzzy sensation in my neck and the base of my skull. Particularly when they played with the acoustics so the sound was coming more from one side than another.

It's strange, but no.

Oddly enough, part of the "entrancing" thing about it is that the person is being detailed about what they are doing (what they're explaining/showing you)... but you are barely conscious enough to utter an "uh huh" here and there.

Well that's in my experience anyway.
So it's not like a positive feeling you might get when you're learning something new and interesting, and you're so excited about it that your mind is trying to absorb everything. That's a more 'thrilling' feeling than this, I'd say.

I thought it sounded familiar but all the video of the soft-spoken chick did was freak me the fuck out.

I've actually been trying to find out what this is for years, dude.

I actually get that whenever a child is explaining something to me. It's so odd but so awesome at the same time, lol.

Back