Who gets ASMR? Your triggers? Describe the feeling?

CoffeeAndBeer

OG from 1993
@Silver
Reaction score
"ASMR" is Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. But I prefer Attention Induced Observant Euphoria; a better, more descriptive term for this phenomenon.

It seems most people don't have it/get it, or at least they don't know that they do.

What it is (how I would describe it), is a vaguely hypnotic, blissful sensation that some people occasionally get when someone else is doing something for you, or to you (non-sexual), showing you how to do something, explaining or describing what they're doing and all involving a soothing voice, sounds, and demeanor.

It's not a "brain orgasm" (it's not sexual at all)
It's not "head tingles" (chicks describe everything as 'tingly')

Who gets or has "ASMR"?
How would you describe what it is?
How would you describe the feeling?
What are your strongest triggers?

Is this a scientifically observable phenomenon?

When I watch that explosive scientist on that Cosmos show.

My favorite is whispers and "Pouring a Coke".

It feels like a hot girl whispering in your ear, (-erection)

I call it a fugue state.

1175425_709187349095050_1938720756_n-300x211.jpg

Is it something that is measurable?

I read a little further on the wiki

Steven Novella, Director of General Neurology at the Yale School of Medicine and active contributor to topics involving scientific skepticism, wrote in his neuroscience blog about the lack of scientific investigation on ASMR, saying that functional magnetic resonance imaging and transcranial magnetic stimulation technologies should be used to study the brains of people who experience ASMR in relation to people who do not experience ASMR. Novella discusses the concept of neurodiversity and mentions how the complexity of the human brain is due to developmental behaviors across the evolutionary time scale. He also suggests the possibility of ASMR being a type of pleasurable seizure or another way to activate the pleasure response.[28]

Dr. Tom Stafford, a lecturer in psychology and cognitive sciences from the University of Sheffield, was quoted in The Independent, saying,[1]

It might well be a real thing, but it's inherently difficult to research. The inner experience is the point of a lot of psychological investigation, but when you've got something like this that you can't see or feel, and it doesn't happen for everyone, it falls into a blind spot. It's like synaesthesia

I do. When I was a kid my doctor talking to me would cause it, it wasnt until I saw a post on here about it with a youtube video that I knew it was a documented thing.

Not sure how I would describe it, your vaguely hypnotic blissful sensation sounds accurate though.

***EDIT: In other words, these Youtube 'ASMR' videos don't do it for me. It only happens in real life situations for me***

These Youtube videos out there that try to induce ASMR are a weak substitute at best.

Mostly they those videos are a bit weird and induce other, unintended things.

[YT]g3Zg-Nmspks[/YT]

Last edited:
thought you were talking about this:

Is it something that is measurable?

I read a little further on the wiki...

So until we have a better understanding of how the brain works, I'm gonna remain skeptical on this one.

It has yet to be clinically defined/recognized, but it's a real thing, whatever it is. I know I get it. It's "observable" to me. I recognized what triggers it, etc.

Skeptical that it actually exists? Like being skeptical about ghosts or something?

It has yet to be clinically defined/recognized, but it's a real thing, whatever it is. I know I get it. It's "observable" to me. I recognized what triggers it, etc.

Skeptical that it actually exists? Like being skeptical about ghosts or something?

Skeptical as in I don't believe or disbelieve. I need more evidence, and the testing just hasn't been done yet. I think you're telling the truth about your own personal experience, but I'm referring more to something we could do in a clinical trial, tracking brain activity. FWIW, I get night terrors sometimes, which is also something difficult to convey to someone who has never experienced it.

What exactly is happening outside of 'normal' brain/body functions? The way you describe it, it sounds just like endorphins on the porcelain throne or being hypnotized by a beautiful face.

I do. When I was a kid my doctor talking to me would cause it, it wasnt until I saw a post on here about it with a youtube video that I knew it was a documented thing.

Not sure how I would describe it, your vaguely hypnotic blissful sensation sounds accurate though.

Yeah my earliest and strongest memories of it was from when I was a kid; by my elementary school teachers and my brother & sisters.

In a lot of the articles/stories that have come out about it recently, it's described as a "Brain Orgasm"... which really distorts what it is. There's nothing 'orgasmic' about it. I mean if it's a hot chick then there may be some crossover, but it's not inherently sexual.

I watched a few of them that featured large breasted women.

What exactly is happening outside of 'normal' brain/body functions? The way you describe it, it sounds just like endorphins on the porcelain throne or being hypnotized by a beautiful face.

It's different than the sense of being 'hypnotized by a beautiful face,' though.

In a way it's almost the opposite of being aroused.
It's being completely zoned-out, calm, and relaxed.

Ever had surgery... ever take morphine?
It's like the feeling you get right when the morphine first hits you (it works fast). That initial buzz (mild), without getting any stronger.

morphine60.jpg

Last edited:
It's different than the sense of being 'hypnotized by a beautiful face,' though.

In a way it's almost the opposite of being aroused.
It's being completely zoned-out, calm, and relaxed.

Ever had surgery... ever take morphine?
It's like the feeling you get right when the morphine first hits you (it works fast). That initial buzz, without getting any stronger.

"Zoned-out, calm, and relaxed"?

I fail to see how this is a 'phenomenon' and not just some normal stuff the brain does. What purpose do you see in giving this it's own special designation? Is it a condition that is somehow problematic for you?

It sounds like me when I'm high, I can just sit and stare at pointless shit all day.

This thread for example.

"Zoned-out, calm, and relaxed"?

I fail to see how this is a 'phenomenon' and not just some normal stuff the brain does. What purpose do you see in giving this it's own special designation? Is it a condition that is somehow problematic for you?

I was differentiating... a "beautiful face" stimulates you. Your mind is saying that chick is hot, I want to fcuk. This however, almost de-stimulates you. Your mind "zones out". Both have a positive sensation, but they're different.

That's what I was getting at. Whether it gets classified in some medical textbook or not, isn't really my 'agenda' or 'arguement'.

Back