Who first coined MMA terms: H-Bomb, Lay-n-pray, BJJ, Ground-n-pound, wall-walk, etc?

CoffeeAndBeer

OG from 1993
@Silver
Reaction score
***Help from Hardcores needed***

For the sake of posterity, I'd like to amass the knowledge and opinions of the hardcore fans who have been around for the past decade or two.

In this thread I'd like properly credit the people who coined a term or phrase that is now common-place in the sport of MMA. If possible please provide actual reference/source/link to the time an place when they first coined it.

Mixed-martial arts

Credited to: Howard Rosenberg, writer....................
First coined: Nov 15, 1993 - Los Angeles Times.....
Source/Reference --
L.A. Times -- "Yet a curious thing happened after the first two contests. Instead of merely gory and funny, the "Ultimate Fighting Championship" began getting interesting.

St. Louis cruiserweight boxer Art Jimmerson didn't get to throw even one punch before giving up. He was swiftly taken down and dispatched with a chokehold by jujitsu master Royce Gracie, whose family is synonymous with the sport in their native Brazil, where mixed-martial arts championships like this one are commonplace.

In the battle of 220-pound strongmen that followed, Lockeford, Calif., shootfighter Ken Shamrock looked invincible in getting tae kwon do battler Pat Smith of Denver to submit to a painful ankle twist, setting up an intriguing semifinal with the much-lighter Gracie..." (http://articles.latimes.com/1993-11-15/entertainment/ca-57200_1_ultimate-fighting-championship)

Lay and pray
Credited to: Stehen Quadros, commentator...........
First coined: Dec 9, 2000 - Pride 12: Cold Fury.....​

Commentary for Pride 12 - "There’s ground and pound, that’s when a wrestler, primarily, is on top and throws punches downward. But there’s also... can I coin a phrase tonight? Can you call it ‘lay and pray’ that they don’t stand up?" (http://www.martialartsentertainment.com/stephen-quadros/)

Stockton Slap
Credited to: Mauro Ranallo ???................
First coined: .................???......................​

Argument / Reference / Source...​

The Twister
Credited to: Rigan Machado???.....
First coined: ..............???................
Argument / Reference / Source...

Wall and stall
Credited to: ..............................................
First coined: .............................................​

Sprawl and brawl

Ground and pound

Stand and bang

Last edited:
Term / Phrase

Term / Phrase

Term / Phrase

Term / Phrase

Term / Phrase

Term / Phrase

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
Credited to: Carlos Gracie ???.....
First coined: 1920's ???................​

Argument only -- When Carllso Gracie began issuing open challenges in the 1920's in Brazil, he was representing the "Gracie" style of Jiu Jitsu (http://www.gracie.com/pubs/riostory2.html).

... or...​
Credited to: Helio Gracie ???.....
First coined: after 1967 ???.......​

Argument only -- The Federation of Jiu-Jitsu in Brazil was established in 1967. Helio Gracie was one of the founding members and at some point the president of the Federation (Oswaldo Fadda was VP). However he resigned citing that the rules and style of "sport" Jiu Jitsu were not conducive to effective self-defense, and thus distinct from "Gracie" Jiu Jitsu (http://www.graciemiami.com/our-style/faqs/).

... or...​
Credited to: Rorion Gracie.....
First coined: 1978 or 1989.....​

Argument / Reference / Source --
- "In the late 1970s, Rorion came to the United States and began teaching the "Gracie method" of jiu-jitsu in Southern California. He used the term "Gracie Jiu-Jitsu " to identify his business, which now consists of a nationwide chain of training facilities.

In 1989, Rorion applied for and obtained federal registrations for the "Gracie Jiu-Jitsu" service mark and the Triangle Design logo." (https://law.resource.org/pub/us/case/reporter/F3/217/217.F3d.1060.98-16386.98-15672.html)​

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Credited to: Oswaldo Fadda ???.....
First coined: 1954 ???.....................​

Argument only --
In 1954, Oswaldo Fadda, a non-Gracie disciple of Mitsuyo Maeda (Maeda-->Luis Franca-->Fadda) issued a challenge to the Gracies. In getting the better of the Gracies, Fadda's challenge essentially marked the arrival of Brazilian brand of jiu jitsu, distinct from the Gracie:

- "In 1954 Master Fadda, in an effort to prove that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu was not dominated by the Gracies sent a letter to the newspaper inviting the Gracie's to a challenge. In the newspaper letter Fadda said: "We want to challenge the Gracie's, we respect them as our opponents but we don't fear them. I have about 20 students for the challenge." Helio, impressed by Fadda's gentlemanly invitation, accepted and opened his academy doors for the challenge. Contrary to most expectations, Fadda Academy overcame the Gracie Academy by showing different levels of techniques, amazing the Jiu Jitsu community. Helio Gracie, impressed with the technique of the suburban fighters acknowledged that Jiu Jitsu was not exclusive to the Gracie Family and to the same paper said "All you need is one Fadda to show that Jiu Jitsu is not the privilege of the Gracie" (http://www.aloisiosilvabjj.com/index.php/history/history-of-brazilian-jiu-jitsu).

... or...
Credited to: Machado Family ???...........
First coined: after 1989 ???....................​

Argument only -
When the Machado's began teaching Jiu Jitsu in the U.S. after joining the Rorion Gracie side of the family in Southern California.​

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure most of those were coined by fans on MMA forums

Mark Coleman was/is the "Godfather" of Ground N Pound

I coined "Chuck with that look in his eyes" after the Tito Ortiz at UFC 47 in 2004.

It wasn't well received at the time and wasn't fully embraced until a few years later.

My Kroger just started selling wine, and they have that Kroger pricepoint of like 3 dollars per bottle, so I'm 9 bucks into the cheapest drunk ever, but I feel like the first guy we saw use GnP was of course, none other than the Godfather himself, Mark Coleman. Not sure who coined the phrase, but it has to be in one of the early UFCs or PRIDE FC's.

EDIT
I'm pretty sure most of those were coined by fans on MMA forums

Mark Coleman was/is the "Godfather" of Ground N Pound
Dammit. This Kroger wine is really slowing my wpm lol

Well, since all reality isn't recorded this is just another exercise in futility, right?

You do know that the first time something is recorded isn't its genesis, right?

Last edited:
Every true fan knows that it was Kenny Florian who coined all of those terms.

- Kenny Florian

Joe and Goldie must have coined at least one of them.

Mauro Renallo coined H-Bomb and I believe the twister is from wrestling but i'm Aussie so i know jack shit about wrestling.

My Kroger just started selling wine, and they have that Kroger pricepoint of like 3 dollars per bottle, so I'm 9 bucks into the cheapest drunk ever, but I feel like the first guy we saw use GnP was of course, none other than the Godfather himself, Mark Coleman. Not sure who coined the phrase, but it has to be in one of the early UFCs or PRIDE FC's.

EDIT

Dammit. This Kroger wine is really slowing my wpm lol
Kroger worker here also. lol

I think alot of them are attributed to Internet forums. That is the first place I saw most of them. All the constant posting for so many years lead to a need to create our own vocabulary to describe stuff. The Internet has had a heavy role in MMA for a long time. Look at how fighters initials become their nickname if their name is hard to spell or long. That's because a lot more MMA talk happens on the Internet than in the real world.

the Twister was named by Edgy Brah

in amateur wrestling its called a guillotine so when he started teaching it in Jew Jitsu he called it the twister to avoid confusion

Well, since all reality isn't recorded this is just another exercise in futility, right?

You do know that the first time something is recorded isn't it's genesis, right?

The OP here,

That's why I posted "Argument / Reference / Source"...

That's why I posed multiple un-documented "argument only" possible genesis'es, myself. See the term Gracie Jiu Jitsu, see the term Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Back