Who else prefers to train alone?

What is this tomfoolery? You go into the gym to get stronger and faster, not have a fucking tea party.

Amen to that. My dad likes to chatter all the time while workin' out, but I like to just put on some music and live inside my mind between each set. And nothing kills a build up to a big lift like inane talking.

I always train alone but I don't prefer it all the time, it's fun to have someone else there to help with encouragement and what not. Most people don't lift like me though so it's a little different... I like lifting with my little brother the most I'd say

I trained with a few different partners over the last few years. At first it was good because we motivated eachother to go to the gym and push ourselves. Eventually it became routine and now I hate missing a day and I don't need anyone else for motivation. My gym partner/co-worker quit and moved to another province so now I go alone. I find I like it better because I don't waste time chatting between sets and can do whatever I want.

For the last year or so I've been going to the gym with my boss (over lunch) which is great because he can't say anthing about me taking an hour and a half for lunch since he's there too :)

Does anyone else find they get motivation from the idiots at their gym? I actually find it somewhat motivating to see the idiots doing useless exercises with the same weights they've been using for the last year while I know I've lost weight and increased my strength over the last year.

If my gym had any serious lifters, I'm sure I could benefit from that motivation and advice - since I'm still a noob to this, I can use all the help/advice/criticism I can get. But the gym I'm at for the next couple months is full of guys doing endless sets of curls and cougars on the treadmills, elipticals, and stationary bikes.

Note: I'm not complaining about about the cougars, I just don't want to squat with them.

Note 2: Actually, maybe I do want to squat with them.

I would like to lift with somebody who absolutely tromps me. Just makes my poundages look like a child's weight. It would provide good motivation. But I train alone and most people don't really focus on the lifts I do.

I've had odd experiences with this lately. Let me know if I'm the only one who feels this way.

I go to the gym by myself, but I never feel alone. I mean, most of the time I'm at a private gym and it's just me there. on the off chance I need to guest pass a comercial gym I don't bring anyone with me. But before the lift, when it's time to focus, when the set numbers start stacking high and its a fight to complete my session, I think about the people who (for lack of a better qualifier) would attend my funeral. My loved ones, the positive people in my life, the memories of good times, accomplishment and encouragement. My family is there, my friends are there, people who I've had one really good experience with are there, and in my neurotic mind, I'm in their embrace. This positivity has really helped me in my lifting I think, and while I may not have anyone with me at the gym, with meditation like this I never feel alone. and when it's me vs. the iron, win or lose, I never feel like I've lost.

This really goes back to not lifting angry any more. When I lifted angry, missing a PR would infuriate me, put me in a bad mood. Now, next time I'll get it. "the iron always give you the straight shit" and when you make it a prerequisite to think of the positive before lifting big, the iron will tell you how great your life is instead of how miserable you can be.

Lifting has become far more fruitful an experience on a personal level over the last six months than it's ever been in the past, and I enjoy it more every day.

So while I prefer to train by myself, I feel I never want to train as alone as I once did.

I've had odd experiences with this lately. Let me know if I'm the only one who feels this way.

I go to the gym by myself, but I never feel alone. I mean, most of the time I'm at a private gym and it's just me there. on the off chance I need to guest pass a comercial gym I don't bring anyone with me. But before the lift, when it's time to focus, when the set numbers start stacking high and its a fight to complete my session, I think about the people who (for lack of a better qualifier) would attend my funeral. My loved ones, the positive people in my life, the memories of good times, accomplishment and encouragement. My family is there, my friends are there, people who I've had one really good experience with are there, and in my neurotic mind, I'm in their embrace. This positivity has really helped me in my lifting I think, and while I may not have anyone with me at the gym, with meditation like this I never feel alone. and when it's me vs. the iron, win or lose, I never feel like I've lost.

This really goes back to not lifting angry any more. When I lifted angry, missing a PR would infuriate me, put me in a bad mood. Now, next time I'll get it. "the iron always give you the straight shit" and when you make it a prerequisite to think of the positive before lifting big, the iron will tell you how great your life is instead of how miserable you can be.

Lifting has become far more fruitful an experience on a personal level over the last six months than it's ever been in the past, and I enjoy it more every day.

So while I prefer to train by myself, I feel I never want to train as alone as I once did.

i'd tell if you it hadn't been TL/DR

I don't lift angry at all. Sometimes I will punch a wall, that's just to get some life into me though. Lifting kind of dulls of my muscles and when I punch something it gives me a jolt of pain shock. About that whole funeral deal... Seems a bit odd to me. Whatever works for you.

I lift alone. I don't get mad, or use emotion, all that's in my mind is logging the next set of numbers. No wild music, just the TV on something I can glance at while I rest.

If my training partner knows what he's doing or is at least motivated I prefer to train with a partner.

I have almost always trained alone and I prefer it that way. When I trained in commercial gyms, I did enjoy having others in the gym at the same time to occasionally "trade spots" with or maybe work in together on a series of moves, but that is about it. I am sure that like many others, you have the guys who tell you "I want to train with you" and then they dont show up after 2 workouts, etc.

If you've seen my workout log you know I'm very anal about certain things, rest between sets, weight on the bar. A training partner would have to do exactly what I do, with the same weights, or it would be an inconvenience for me and throw off my rythm.

I don't have any friends so I have no choice but to train alone.

if i had a buddy with the exact same schedule and similar program, i'd be all about it.

what i get from training alone is that i can accommodate any scheduling i need. plus, my sessions take 2 hours or more.

the only spotting i'd need is bench, but you can call someone over for ME attempts.

i do think having a friend on the same page as you is beneficial if you have the flexibility in your schedules. they can keep you in line and coach as needed for those things you cannot see yourself.

until then, buy a digital camera.

Depends. I train alone. However there are a couple guys I talk with on set breaks when they are around. I enjoy bullshitting with them but I work at my own pace and doing my own excercises. Talking occurs when I can fit it in between sets.

If my training partner knows what he's doing or is at least motivated I prefer to train with a partner.

Agreed. I'm not really in a position where I feel I have earned the wisdom to help someone hands on everyday. If its someone stronger than me and more experienced, then I'm stupid to pass that opportunity up.

It's always longer training with a partner for me. I'm very strict on rest periods too and don't want to hang out too long in the gym, it puts you in a "hang out" mood instead of an intense, "all business" mood.

I would like to lift with somebody who absolutely tromps me. Just makes my poundages look like a child's weight. It would provide good motivation. But I train alone and most people don't really focus on the lifts I do.

yeah that's what it's like lifting with enright and i love it :icon_chee

I wouldn't mind having a weight helper or weight buddy. Just some schmuck to hang around and change the weights for me, refill my water bottle, fan me when I'm getting hot, the post-workout gay orgy... But a workout partner? It doesn't suit my style.

I wouldn't mind having a weight helper or weight buddy. Just some schmuck to hang around and change the weights for me, refill my water bottle, fan me when I'm getting hot, the post-workout gay orgy... But a workout partner? It doesn't suit my style.

so you want a slave?

Back