1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Who else is bored with mma?

Discussion in 'The Lightweights' started by Jarnee, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Jballer Red Belt

My interest level always decreases during football season, so very soon I will barely care about it. See you all in February.

2. GoldenAzazel General Manager of PWD 2020 PWD Poster of the Year Platinum Member

I guess people have different tastes but I feel this is as exciting as its been for a good few years. I mean I got into MMA at the beginning of 2011 and this is the best I've seen it I think.

3. SuperLuigi Red Belt

Come to the dark side and watch some kickboxing.

4. Jarnee Blue Belt

There are no divisions that interest me aside from LHW and HW which are "slow" to progress... the game is tied up and I look to boxing...

5. GoldenAzazel General Manager of PWD 2020 PWD Poster of the Year Platinum Member

What about FW and WW? FW is looking pretty interesting with Conor just KOing Mendes in the 2nd round and his title fight with Aldo coming up. WW has Lawler as champion but he's been in two really close fights with Hendricks, he was arguably losing the Rory fight till Rory fell to the floor with that broken nose, and Condit is a tough opponent for anyone.

6. daniel san Black Belt

I like the direction the Zuffa has taken with the UFC. Overall it's so much more professional now than what it has ever been. I started watching MMA in 2003 and have watched all UFC events ever since except for 2-3 events, and those exceptions being some shitty UFN cards in the last year or so.

One problem that I see is simply that it's too many events with too few good, relevant fights. When you have mediocre cards every week or so, I feel that I don't have the time to watch them all. I've started fastforwarding a couple of fights as they are either boring or I feel that the fight has no relevance in the overall picture. I don't have time to spend 3-4 hours on UFC every weekend (and avoid going on Facebook, reading the news, chatting with friends) if it's not very stacked cards.

My interest for good fights remains exactly the same, it's just that the UFC has failed to put on as many interesting fights as before. They've been a bit unlucky with terrible champs like Pettis and Cain that never fight but hopefully that era is over. Another problem would be that superstars from the old days are no longer superstars, either retired or a shell of their former self. I'm a huge fan of Crocop, but watching him now doesn't quite bring the same excitement as 10 years ago. There aren't that many new stars except maybe McGregor and Ronda, but we need new fighters to replace Wand, Big Nog, Silva, Shogun, BJ, Iceman, Belfort and other legends that have, or will soon, retire.

7. DaRealMVP White Belt

I know I was thinking the same thing.

8. rooksta Green Belt

My interest has decreased, but that's only because I used to never miss a fight, watched them all live, and have now found myself skipping fight nights, watching ppvs the next day, dvr'ING fox cards and never watchING them etc...etc..

I am still a fan, just not a super fan.

9. Lucifer Alpha The Catastrophe Banned

No wonder you're bored.

10. Jarnee Blue Belt

Stating the obvious I think? Everyone is a well rounded/wrestler and it bores me greatly. Guess watching the same over and over is good for some

11. GoldenAzazel General Manager of PWD 2020 PWD Poster of the Year Platinum Member

Aldo, McGregor, RDA, Werdum, Ronda, and JJ are well rounded wrestlers?

12. Jarnee Blue Belt

RDA is 'well rounded', Tj is, MM is, Weidman is, JJ/Cormier is, and Cain WAS!

Werdum and Aldo/Mc gregor is only exception imo

13. GoldenAzazel General Manager of PWD 2020 PWD Poster of the Year Platinum Member

RDA is about as well rounded as Aldo is imo.

I guess you're also not counting WMMA.

14. Jarnee Blue Belt

By WMMA you mean Rousey? She is good at everything so I would say she is well rounded too.

Rousey Pro MMA 5 years, RDA 11 years, X Weidman 6 years- You will never see a prodigy/natural talent ever again that sweeps through the divisions or any organisation,

15. GoldenAzazel General Manager of PWD 2020 PWD Poster of the Year Platinum Member

I'd say Ronda's striking looks a bit sloppy and I don't think we've ever seen her off of her back so I don't really know about well rounded. Ronda was also Pro for less than a year before she won the Strikeforce belt.

Not really sure what you mean by natural talent. Do you mean they weren't in anything before they were in MMA like Olympics or NCAA?

16. Jarnee Blue Belt

I mean like Randy Couture won UFC 13 in his 1st night of pro MMA, few months and 4 fights in total he was champ of UFC. Or a fighter like Royce Gracie who won it all so soon, Sakuraba win HW after 5/6 months, BJ Penn under 3 years to champ...

Heck, even Fedor won Pride HW Championship in less than 3 years pro.....

You see what I mean?

17. GoldenAzazel General Manager of PWD 2020 PWD Poster of the Year Platinum Member

Yeah, I totally see your point. I mean it doesn't bother me but I definitely get it.

Weidman is probably the closest you'll get to it and he was 9-0 with about 4 years of experience.

18. SuperNerd Off-Season Mode.

I don't get it either.

19. Evangelion Gold Belt

Lol another I watch sports for personality bozo.

Straight homo