who doesnt eat grains, carb questions

But the question here is how effective the body is in making carbs out of protein and fat since unless you are doing keto (under 30 carbs a day) the body uses carbs as energy source.

read up on gluconeogenesis.

I keep my diet principles pretty basic. No matter what, get enough protein, eat green veggies, and take fish oil. Other than that, I'm pretty much a calorie in vs. calorie out coupled with common sense type guy.

I have no problem with people eating however they want, but I guess I'm like the devil's advocate on this forum. I like to be the guy to point out that you don't have to drastically alter your diet unless you eat like a complete fucktard. Most of the debates seem to be about such minor things. I would say a very small percent of the population that is near their genetic potential need to worry about such small alterations.

This. Everyone's individual body biochemistry is different. I find it interesting that some people claim that they function well on extremely low-carb diets. Personally, I don't function as well on such a diet. I do cardio 4-5 days a week, and weight training 2-3 times a week, and my daily diet includes a lot of carbs, primarily from grains. I also drink a lot of beer. I have not experienced weight gain in years, nor has my performance suffered. I've also cut 20 pounds of healthy weight under my eating habits.

Regardless of how you feel in relation to carbohydrates, I never understood all the carb bashing and how it's "bad" for you. Any macronutrient that is consumed in excess can become problematic, sure. But to avoid fruit simply because they contain high amounts of fructose, to me, is stupid. The nutritional benefits of fruit far outweigh the risk of weight gain, even though I understand that this is a MMA forum in which weight is a serious factor in some peoples diet. Find a way to balance your diet and your athletic goals.

3 will blueberries and steel cut oats help brain function?

I don't know if they help brain function, but eat your fucking blueberries. They're damn good for you. Steel cut oats are good for you too.

You are confusing things like Ketosis with the oxidation of lipids.

Most of the body can use carbs or fat for energy (ATP creation) based on what is available. Your Brain and CNS however require glucose or Ketones.

Ketosis is the point where your body runs out of available glucose and begins to produce Ketones (using fat cells as the source of the ketones) for the brain. Now the brain can't fully run on ketones, it still needs glucose which is then created out of protein (hence why you need to eat more protein while dieting to help spare muscle)

So presuming that you are eating fewer calories than you are burning, the carbs you eat will either be used by the brain or stored as muscle glycogen where it will be burned for energy, the fat will be burned as fuel or converted into ketones, and the protein will be converted into glucose or used for other protein specific things. Body fat or muscle protein will then be used for any remaining gaps in the bodies nutritional needs.

Good thing there are people in this thread that know what they're talking about. Luckily for low carb athletes, the glycerol backbone in triglycerides can also be converted (at a smaller rate) to a glycolysis/gluconeogenesis metabolite that can be converted to glucose (or acetyl CoA) as well. In a carb-free diet, our brain would shut off if, at some point in evolution, humans or our ancestors bodies did not adapt to convert amino acids into glucose to fuel it.

Don't necessarily believe the low-carb hype, just eat right. If it works for you, great, but a lot of vegetables and fruits are never bad for overall nutrition.

Last edited:
I eat rice... yea white rice... almost daily... oooo im a naughty boy.

And it's real sticky Japanese rice not that Uncle Ben's crap.

This doesn't directly address any of the questions in this thread, but there seems to be some misconceptions that are being repeated over and over that need clearing up.

The Paleo diet, as explain by Wolf (there are about hundred "Paleo diets" out there, but I like Wolf), is "carb agnostic." Carbs are neither good nor bad. For the most part, you eat carbs commensurate with your activity level, genetics, etc. (special circumstances, such as attempting a ketogenic diet, would be different, of course).

What Paleo concerns itself with is the source of those carbs...it seeks to avoid the antinutritive effects of things like gluten, and consume more micronutrient-dense foods, like fruits and veggies. It swaps out bread and rice for sweet potatoes and squash. How sinister! :icon_conf

So, what does this outlook mean? It means that someone like me, who does not tolerate carbs very well, should be careful about how he consumes them. Using myself as an example, I restrict my overall carb intake. What carbs I do eat, I try to get from sources that give me the most "bang for my buck" nutritionally--that is, things that have lots of micronutrients per gram of carb. I eat relatively few grains, and what grains I do eat, I try to prepare as per Guyenet's recommendations to minimize antinutrient content and improve digestibility (doing stuff like soaking them).

If you're the sort of person who tolerates carbs well, great, eat lots of them. All the Paleo crowd has to say about that is to choose carbs from sources that are nutritious/devoid of antinutrients. Again, just as people have different metabolisms and tolerances for carbohydrates themselves, people have different capabilities for dealing with gluten, etc.

What's the point of all of this? All I'm saying is that just because you can--or, at least, think you can--get away with a high carb/high grain consumption, don't assume everyone else can or is an idiot for trying to restrict grains and/or carbs. Whether it be some degree of gluten intolerance (or another antinutrient issue) or insulin resistance, lots of people, for whatever reason, may be better off restricting grains and/or carbs. Because Paleo actually addresses carb over-consumption, it gets labeled "anti-carb," but that's only because many people actually benefit from lowering their carbohydrate intake, not because lowering carbs is a good thing for everyone.

To reiterate, I don't eat Paleo, but I've learned valuable lessons from that camp, and have a lot of respect for their viewpoint. You'd be a fool to write them off entirely because the conservative end of their recommendations don't seem pertinent to you as an individual.

Last edited:
I love sweet potatoes. It's sad that i never really started eating them until a couple of years ago.

Good post Xtrainer.

I am pretty intolerant of grains. If I have 2-3 I am slow and lethargic in a day.

However, if I go more then 1-3 days without any sort of grain, I feel a bit lethargic. So I have a half-cup of stuff a day if I get unlazy.

Big fan of Quinoa.

Good post Xtrainer.

I am pretty intolerant of grains. If I have 2-3 I am slow and lethargic in a day.

However, if I go more then 1-3 days without any sort of grain, I feel a bit lethargic. So I have a half-cup of stuff a day if I get unlazy.

Big fan of Quinoa.

Quinoa is not a grain.

Also, are you low-carb when you don't eat grains? The lethargy could be due to ketosis and the adaptation period. Which you don't give sufficient time to occur. But that's only a problem if you actually intended to use a ketogenic diet.

What's the point of all of this? All I'm saying is that just because you can--or, at least, think you can--get away with a high carb/high grain consumption, don't assume everyone else can or is an idiot for trying to restrict grains and/or carbs. Whether it be some degree of gluten intolerance (or another antinutrient issue) or insulin resistance, lots of people, for whatever reason, may be better off restricting grains and/or carbs. Because Paleo actually addresses carb over-consumption, it gets labeled "anti-carb," but that's only because many people actually benefit from lowering their carbohydrate intake, not because lowering carbs is a good thing for everyone.

To reiterate, I don't eat Paleo, but I've learned valuable lessons from that camp, and have a lot of respect for their viewpoint. You'd be a fool to write them off entirely because the conservative end of their recommendations don't seem pertinent to you as an individual.

Similar to people labeling themselves as hardgainers, it's my opinion that people like to make mountains out of molehills regarding diet. Do I think all of the people that worry about their carb intake and carb sources really need to be doing that? Fuck no. Do all of the people going paleo truly need to go paleo? It seems the argument is always resorts back to, "Can you explain to me why not to go Paleo" vs. "Explain to me why I should go Paleo".

As I alluded to earlier, I think people that sit their counting carbs, calories, worrying about carb sources, etc. would be much better off focusing that energy into their training. I hate to be stereotyping and sound negative, but it seems like a lot of people that are completely consumed with minor things regarding diet are often the ones taking things way out of context and blowing it way out of proportion.

Similar to people labeling themselves as hardgainers, it's my opinion that people like to make mountains out of molehills regarding diet. Do I think all of the people that worry about their carb intake and carb sources really need to be doing that? Fuck no. Do all of the people going paleo truly need to go paleo? It seems the argument is always resorts back to, "Can you explain to me why not to go Paleo" vs. "Explain to me why I should go Paleo".

As I alluded to earlier, I think people that sit their counting carbs, calories, worrying about carb sources, etc. would be much better off focusing that energy into their training. I hate to be stereotyping and sound negative, but it seems like a lot of people that are completely consumed with minor things regarding diet are often the ones taking things way out of context and blowing it way out of proportion.

I agree Oblivian ; simply not eating grains and veggies, fruits instead takes ALL of peoples energy from training and is very stressful and complicated.

Paleo + diary = don't eat grains, legumes, junk food and sweets and bad oils .

Doesn't seem very complicated to me, although I do still eat legumes.

I agree Oblivian ; simply not eating grains and veggies, fruits instead takes ALL of peoples energy from training and is very stressful and complicated.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

engrish-motherfuckers.jpg

It is not very hard to just not eat grains, junk food and sweets. That was my point. And for athletes paleo plus diary is recommended, so all you gotta keep in mind is not to eat, grains and junkfood. Also I said that despite it not being paleo I do eat legumes, primal (Mark) says it's an ok food and I like it for complex carbs alongside potatoes.

So basically I don't agree that eating paleo is hard and taking focus of training.
Also it doesn't have to be expensive cause cans of tuna, chicken breast, veggies, fruits and diary, some red meat, peanuts are not that expansive.

Peanuts are not legumes nutritionally they have all the same nutrition as other nuts and are very different from real legumes like beans.

Was I now clearer ?

It is not very hard to just not eat grains, junk food and sweets. That was my point. And for athletes paleo plus diary is recommended, so all you gotta keep in mind is not to eat, grains and junkfood. Also I said that despite it not being paleo I do eat legumes, primal (Mark) says it's an ok food and I like it for complex carbs alongside potatoes.

So basically I don't agree that eating paleo is hard and taking focus of training.
Also it doesn't have to be expensive cause cans of tuna, chicken breast, veggies, fruits and diary, some red meat, peanuts are not that expansive.

Peanuts are not legumes nutritionally they have all the same nutrition as other nuts and are very different from real legumes like beans.

Was I now clearer ?

Lulz at the bold.

Do you think an athlete that consumes a lot of non-paleo food will have better performance if they went paleo? What leads you to believe this? Because "they" say it?

What about me? My goal is to get stronger. I'm eating a shitload of grains right now. What do you suggest I do? If I go paleo, will I be stronger?

I think it's extremely arrogant for a bunch of people nerding around obsessing over tiny things thinking something like paleo will perform some magic for them. Then when they realize paleo isn't all it cracked up to be, they'll do paleo + milk. Then they realize that's not all it's cracked up to be, then they'll do paleo + milk + oats at a certain time. It's a joke.

Whoever decides to eat adequate protein, enough carbs to maintain energy levels during workouts, fill nutritional bases with fruits, veggies, certain oils and fill in the rest with the least amount of processed food possible is on the right track. I think obsessing any further than that is a waste of energy.

Back