Who do you think was a myth or real?

Never trained with a top camp during his prime and was surrounded with yes men.

I still use Penn vs Edgar 1 as an example of a good corner vs a shitty corner. Edgar's corner is giving him specific technical guidance. Penn's corner is telling him how great he is and how he's winning.

I personally remember scoring the first fight for Penn, but it was close enough by any measure that you don't tell they guys he's winning. You couldn't possibly know what the judges are seeing / thinking.

With a good corner he might have sent Edgar back down the rankings and retained for another year or two.

I did a seminar with Shogun like in 06? He is short and stocky but he was disgustingly explosive. It is very deceiving to see a person his size that light on his feet throwing spinning acrobatic stuff.
Penn was a product of newer guys getting better. Frankie's team also was connected to Renzo's. It's not the first time they prepped for BJ. BJ at that point of his career isn't learning anything new.

I don't think it matters.

Your worth is a fighter is the sum of ALL your parts. If you're weak in an area - discipline, physically (injury prone), mentally (discipline, fight IQ) - guess what? That's just part of the package.

So there's no "motivated BJ" or "healthy Rua".... there's just BJ and Shogun. All that's remembered is the result.

V9IMsIk.jpg

That settles that. Anyone who lost a fight can't be good.

I always wondered how much of an impact shoguns brother would of made in the ufc! Then you know, Sergie happened...
Sergei would have easily had a long title reign in the UFC HW division.
He could box, grapple, he had reach, and he had a chin on him.

I'm pretty sure "healthy Shogun" was his pre-UFC form, so those arguments don't really matter.

But healthy Cain is definitely real.

lol so from february (his last pride fight) to september of the same year (his first UFC fight) shogun was no longer prime???
what a frail little flower

I can understand saying that the two were hyped to mythical levels.

Injuries, age, and wear-and-tear have profound impacts on a fighter's performance and career. Refusing to believe that is just ignorant.

I'm pretty sure "healthy Shogun" was his pre-UFC form, so those arguments don't really matter.

But healthy Cain is definitely real.
I'm pretty sure Healthy Shogun was leaving his prime when he broke his arm stopping a takedown from Mark Coleman in a match that had no business even being made in the first place.
Then came the knee injuries, the failing cardio, tapping to strikes, the skateboard incident against OSP...
He was ridiculously brittle, and if I had to wager a guess, it was because he got the shit beat out of him in training by a squad of monsters.

What most people forget about the PRIDE era is that the dominant ones of the org were those who innovated and tailored their fighting style to the specific rules of PRIDE.
Wanderlei & Shogun had a system where they'd throw heat at their opponents until they panic wrestled, sprawl the takedown, and brawl all the way back up to the feet.
Takedowns were risky ventures, as it only takes one well placed knee to end a fight, thus the front headlock position became the new back mount in PRIDE.
Grapplers had to go for submissions, passes, etc... or they could lose up to 20% of their purse during the actual match.
No lengthy stalling to try to get a TD, or it could cost you, both in damage and in fines.

When PRIDE folded, these fighters had to adopt to completely different rule sets and forfeit the competitive advantages they had developed during their peak.
Many careers and legacies died with PRIDE. Some of them survived, and some thrived, but they weren't the same fighters as they were before. Adapt or die.

I've seen multiple people in this thread claim that ideas of "primes" is "mythical".

Have you all played any sports yourself? Like ever? Hell, are you even fans of other sports?

It's about the most obviously true thing about sports. Athletes decline over time (although no, not always at the same trajectory or career arc).

That doesn't mean pre or post-prime fights "don't count", but value is different depending on where the fighter is on his career arc. A win over a guy extremely past his prime means less than a win over the same guy smack in the middle of his prime. Pretty simple idea.

They've both had their share of losses

They've both accomplished a great deal and have losses so I'm saying real

Although Jones has a question mark.
Ya clean Jones is a myth at this point. I'm not debating his skill though....all the haterade in the world cant change the fact that he may be the most skilled mixed martial artist ever.

Back