Who do you think the fighter of the year is in Kickboxing?

Monte Moku

Amateur Kickboxer
@purple
Reaction score
Basically the title.

My personal vote:

Sitthichai Sitsongpeenong - He's looked almost untouchable, definitely putting himself in the running as one of the best LW Kickboxers to date (imo). He outclassed both Christian Baya and Tyjani Beztati, (hopefully) put the nail in the coffin in his series with Marat Grigorian by beating him for the fourth time, and then went on to cream Josh Jauncey as well.
Sitthichai-Sitsongpeenong-VS-Marat-Grigorian23.jpg

What do you guys think? I know there are certainly users here with more knowledge of the sport than me, would be interested in seeing what the opinions may be.

Sittichai remained dominate, my only issue giving it to him is his two best wins were repeat wins.

Rico can't really be considered with two mediocre oponents. JBS was 2017.

Petch had a highlight KO and another win over RVR this being official.

Honestly looking at the Glory champs nobody had a real standout 2018.

Tenshin had wins over good Thais in Rodtung and Suakim, with the former being controversial.

Takeru looked great but no real big opponents.

Petro had wins over Chingiz and the GOAT Jo Natawut. That may do it there.

It's a tough call so I'm going to add in some intangibles. I think it's no doubt that the Kickboxer with the most buzz globally in 2018 is Tenshin due in part to the whole Mayweather announcement, plus continued hype from the Japanese market.

Tenshin 2018 Kickboxer of the Year IMO

Sittichai and Petro aren't bad picks tho.

Tough year. Nobody seemed to have such a clear run of whatever 5-6 wins with at least half of them over known top guys. Going to be like Takeru or yeah Tenshin, probably. Sitthichai had a good year but doesn't really pop out as THE kickboxer of the year to me. If Petch or Petro had one more win I'd go with either...

I'd vote for Petch for winning the interim FW belt and then beating RvR officially in the rematch and getting the FW belt in the process + that crazy KO before those 2 wins.

Sittichai didn't do anything more than the usual (which is still great of course) and Tenshin had some controversial decision wins.

Saw this thread earlier and knew @Snubnoze707 would try and find a way to slither his way around sittichai not being fighter of the year.

So Tenshin is the first Kickboxer in history to become fighter of the year based off a fight that got announced under boxing rules. Buzz shouldn't be on par with achievements. If that was the case Conor is MMA fighter of the year also.

Either Sittichai Petro or Petch

Saw this thread earlier and knew @Snubnoze707 would try and find a way to slither his way around sittichai not being fighter of the year.

So Tenshin is the first Kickboxer in history to become fighter of the year based off a fight that got announced under boxing rules. Buzz shouldn't be on par with achievements. If that was the case Conor is MMA fighter of the year also.

Either Sittichai Petro or Petch
So Sittichai gets it for beating a guy for the fourth time? Clearly I recognized his dominance, and said he's a good choice if you actually read my post.

When nobody stands out in wins you're left with intangibles which is why I picked Tenshin, along with his wins/performances. You don't have to do this with MMA because their are guys more clearly deserving on accomplishments alone.

Definitely Sittichai, Marat was on a tear, so who care if it is a repeat win.

Tenshin's win over Rodtung shows heart, but also shows how limited he is despite facing an opponent who fought under kickboxing rule with no elbow for the first time.

a lot done good but i dont think anyone done enough to the the fighter of the year, so there is a lot of people you can claim to be the one

Definitely Sittichai, Marat was on a tear, so who care if it is a repeat win.
I care. Sittichai has his number, clearly.

He beat him 4 times. FOUR. That matters.

Granted, it's not Sittichai's fault he keeps getting matched up with the same guys.

Petpanomrung because of the epic head kick KO and the revenge win over RvR.

Petpanomrung because of the epic head kick KO and the revenge win over RvR.

I was kinda leaning towards Pet at first, however I really don't know who I consider a better win - Marat or Robin. Marat has been looking really good lately besides his loss, Robin seemed like he didn't really care when he was fighting Pet. Or maybe that's just how good Pet was doing? Based off of the performances I saw in both fights, I began to lean toward Marat being a bit of a more prestigious win. I think Pet is a good choice, that was just kinda my thought process about it haha

Rico Verhoeven is a good kickboxer for sure, but is he the best for this year I am not completely sure, but still he is my choice. :)

You should probably turn this thread into a poll :)

Do you know how? I don't see a button for it, but I can be a bit thick sometimes haha

Maybe try to edit the original post in this thread and select the poll option?

Not sure if it's possible now that you've already created the thread but have a look.

Maybe try to edit the original post in this thread and select the poll option?

Not sure if it's possible now that you've already created the thread but have a look.

I don't think it is, or at least I can't figure it out :/

Back