Who do you think Michael Chandler will end up fighting first?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by JustBleed69, Nov 21, 2020 at 11:03 AM.

1. JustBleed69 Touch-Butt Coral Belt

Now that Conor vs Poirier 2 and Ferguson vs Oliviera are happening, who do you think Chandler will end up fighting?

I feel like it has to be Gaethje. Second pick would be Hooker.

I also think he loses to both of the aforementioned fighters.

2. fightfan70 Brown Belt

the only fight for chandler that interested me was the khabib fight.

because styles make fights. still would favor khabib.

think chandler gets smoked by at least the top 5

SakurabasEar and jitzmonkey like this.
  3. Bubzeh Silver Belt

Gets a W against a guy outside the top 6 then he’ll get humbled by a top 3 fighter afterwards IMO.

Safton, FrappeDuRocma, Morax and 2 others like this.
  4. Paolo Delutis Red Belt

I elect Nate Diaz...he should be nates first victim on his way to the LW belt

RyanR, jitzmonkey and Jose Beehive like this.
  5. BonesWinckleJones Yellow Card Yellow Card

he is about to cherry pick rda

6. FIghtxIQ Orange Belt

Should be Gaethje. That match up makes the most sense considering he was used as back up for Gaethje's fight with Khabib.

Both built their careers in a different promotion before entering the UFC, so that's also something they both have in common.

7. Fergelmince Black Belt

8. swarrrm ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Islam or Pettis

ali ali likes this.
  9. cagerageforever Blue Belt

10. youllneverwalkalone Purple Belt

Him vs Hooker would make most sense imho but he's said over and over again he only wants a top 5 opponent. Since Tony is fighting Olivera and Conor is fighting Dustin, that basically leaves Gaethje.

11. JosephTessaro Red Belt

Hooker is ranked #5

Mmmmmmma1234 likes this.
  12. MCS Show mercy to those sheep

The Tony fight would've been good for both. Another one like that is RDA. Just made his return to LW and a win over Chandler puts him close to a top contender fight. While if Chandler wins it's a proven name that probably nets him a title eliminator.

From what I've read though Chandler is only interested in a title shot or a title eliminator right away. Or to be a replacement for a title fight. His plan sounds to be 5 fights max before retirement, that he has to pick wisely and get paid. Means he'll likely sit out now, maybe call out the winner of Conor/Poirier. Whatever gets him one of those he seeks.

13. jitzmonkey Green Belt

Your logic is sound, but it's gonna be a tough sell to some considering that he lost the belt 3 fights before he came over (fact check if needed.) And Gaethje is coming off a competitive (even though it was quick and Khabib definitely had the right game plan) title fight loss to the most successful (?) LW of all time who happens to still be in his prime even though he decided to retire.

Honestly, a 5 rounder against Nate Diaz would be a great litmus test to really see where this guy is. I doubt they'd make that fight, though.

14. Johnnny Blue Belt

Probably Gaethje as the co-main event on UFC 257 with McGregor-Poirier and both fights determining who will fight for the title next, assuming Khabib stays true to his word and retires. That would render Ferguson's fight with Oliveira pretty much useless because the winner wouldn't get a title shot next. Maybe a Ferguson win could entice Khabib not to retire, but that seems like wishful thinking at this point.

The snap reaction on this forum when Ferguson-Oliveira was scheduled was Chandler played himself by not agreeing to fight Ferguson on short notice at UFC 256, because he thought it made more sense for them to fight at UFC 257 to have a fuller camp and be on the same card as McGregor. Ironically, if Chandler gets Gaethje at UFC 257, then it will be Ferguson who played himself.

jitzmonkey likes this.
  15. Bend NvR Break Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.

16. RyanR Black Belt

I’m liking a Nate Diaz fight.

Nate’s not top 5 but he’s a name and it’s a winnable fight for Chandler. Of course it’s also a winnable fight for Nate and if he wins it’s a great way to show everyone he’s still in it.

Paolo Delutis and jitzmonkey like this.
  17. Dionysian Silver Belt

I'd prefer Islam. But if I had to guess I'd say Justin is what they'll do.

jitzmonkey likes this.
  18. Kryptt Dead Belt

Can't see them giving him anyone outside the top. Justin is a good bet but the whole thing has been a shell game.

jitzmonkey likes this.
  19. gspfedkobe24 Black Belt

Tough fight he would be +850

Fluffernutter likes this.
  20. FIghtxIQ Orange Belt

He was originally offered Feguson and Ferguson's last loss is to Gaethje so they can do mma math with that match up. Both are former champions (Chandler Bellator, Gaethje Interim Champion). Both were popular and top star in previous promotion.

Nate is too inactive in lightweight to be thrown into the mix right now, his last fights were all at 170. Plus a wrestling heavy fighter wouldn't be the best match up for Nate, he has struggled with that style in the past. Gaethje would be a great litmus test in my opinion, and their styles match up well with each other for an exciting fight.

jitzmonkey likes this.