Who do you see as a bigger threat to Jones, Gustafsson or DC?

Gus because he nullifies Jones great strength. DC will be a good fight.

Cormier has 2.5 inches shorter reach than Rashad. Was only marginally faster than Hendo (and significantly slower Rashad). Doesn't have great subs. Doesn't have a devastating gnp.

Even if he were to close distance better than Rashad did, and somehow got Jones to the ground, he's likely not going to finish him there. Lnp would be the most probable route to a win.

Gustafsson already showed he can close the distance. He was quicker than Jones. He did more damage and outpaced him in head strikes by a wide margin. He even stuffed more TDs and landed more TDs and trips of his own, ie outwrestled him.

With a bit more aggression he can potentially knock him out.

The correct answer is: Gustafsson.

i say gus. without the height and reach advantage, jones didn't dominate gus like he does with other opponents. we could be in for an upset if jones signs the fight contract to rematch gus in august.

dc has very good wrestling skills, but i'm not yet convinced he would be able to have his way with jones like he did with hendo. jones is a far tougher opponent than hendo and dc would need more than his wrestling to defeat jones.

I'm not sure I agree with this, I don't think Jones/Gus was like Jones/Machida in that Jon made a very definite tactical adjustment, rather I think the match turned on Jones landing that spinning elbow.

I think theres a case that Gus may actually have learnt more from the fight both in avoiding such moves and in putting more focus on the finish. I'm not really seeing any easy shift Jones could make, Gus wasn't really beating him via any kind of special gameplan but rather exploiting his technical weakness in boxing(just about his only large technical weakness) that isn't going to be easy to cover with a gameplan.

I have to agree with this here. Not much Jones can do to adjust his game plan in the second fight. He can work harder on his take down offense and boxing (defense). That's not concrete, though. Like, there's no guarantee he will magically be able to take Gus down in the rematch if he concentrates more on his offensive wrestling. Gus' footwork was a big problem for Jones in attempting to take him down. He can try to work on his boxing (defense), but I doubt he could improve it enough to where he will be on equal footing with Gus or even superior there.

Gus is the one that doesn't have to change much here and can have a much higher chance of winning with a few minor adjustments. Cardio. In the fifth round he kind of gassed a little. Not a whole lot, but it was there. Could of possibly been from the elbow, but who knows. Other than that, work on his 'unorthodox striking' defense, I guess. Spinning elbows, headkicks, etc. Idk. To me, not getting hit with a spinning elbow that changed the complexion of the fight seems a lot easier to work on than going from near 0% take downs and top control to TKOing a guy via GnP or winning rounds via your wrestling.

Back