Who do you rate higher: Marciano or Tyson?

Pick One

• Total voters
Marciano. Tyson is the most over-rated boxer in history. He's the BJ Penn of boxing. All praise based off potential and very little based off accomplishments. Tyson isn't even a top 10 HW of all time. Marciano is. Tyson lost to some cans. Marciano never lost.
I ofter wonder if posters here even watch boxing at all...

Rocky for the resume.

Tyson if were talking a matchup, and he would eat Rocky alive.

Marciano. Tyson is the most over-rated boxer in history. He's the BJ Penn of boxing. All praise based off potential and very little based off accomplishments. Tyson isn't even a top 10 HW of all time. Marciano is. Tyson lost to some cans. Marciano never lost.
If only Tyson could have fought more has beens so he could be on Rocky’s level.

Seriously.

Tucker, Ruddock, Smith, Bruno... All good wins. Then you have the Holmes and Spinks stoppages. Not just big names he beat, but their accomplishments, you can't deny what he did to both. Great wins.

Fans can diss the Holmes win all they want, it's cute. Holmes went on to make noise still, and IMO should have got nod vs McCall. People can say what they want about McCall, but he knocked Lewis the FUCK out, then came to rematch ready to jump off a building, seriously I have a very sick brother, and I can tell you Lewis got a gift that night, because it took him 4 and a half rounds to convince ref a sick sick man was done, a healthy McCall had his number, call me what you want, but the mind of McCall was done, but Larry Holmes arguably beat a more stable McCall and humiliated Mercer who was life and death with Lewis as well... But a younger Holmes was left in a head at Tyson's feet. Win for Tyson was great. I honestly think people have the whimsical view of Holmes they don't want tarnished by that loss, but they need to get over it. At one point Tyson was an unstoppable Force and believed in himself and moved like a fast fucking welterweight. There was only one Iron Mike and will only ever be one.

He lost to some pretty rubbish guys. Unlike Rocky who beat everyone he fought. You make it sound like Tyson was undefeated against weak opponents. He wasn't lol.

Seriously.

Tucker, Ruddock, Smith, Bruno... All good wins. Then you have the Holmes and Spinks stoppages. Not just big names he beat, but their accomplishments, you can't deny what he did to both. Great wins.

Fans can diss the Holmes win all they want, it's cute. Holmes went on to make noise still, and IMO should have got nod vs McCall. People can say what they want about McCall, but he knocked Lewis the FUCK out, then came to rematch ready to jump off a building, seriously I have a very sick brother, and I can tell you Lewis got a gift that night, because it took him 4 and a half rounds to convince ref a sick sick man was done, a healthy McCall had his number, call me what you want, but the mind of McCall was done, but Larry Holmes arguably beat a more stable McCall and humiliated Mercer who was life and death with Lewis as well... But a younger Holmes was left in a head at Tyson's feet. Win for Tyson was great. I honestly think people have the whimsical view of Holmes they don't want tarnished by that loss, but they need to get over it. At one point Tyson was an unstoppable Force and believed in himself and moved like a fast fucking welterweight. There was only one Iron Mike and will only ever be one.

https://boxrec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=139046
Bert Sugars top HWs ever:

1. Joe Louis
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Jack Dempsey
4. Jack Johnson
5. Gene Tunney
6. Rocky Marciano
7. Ezzard Charles
8. George Foreman
9. Joe Frazier
10. Larry Holmes

Tyson at 14

He lost to some pretty rubbish guys. Unlike Rocky who beat everyone he fought. You make it sound like Tyson was undefeated against weak opponents. He wasn't lol.
Who.....? And when? When he was 40 and washed up/fat/not training?

Holyfield and Lewis would bury Rocky as well.

1. Joe Louis
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Jack Dempsey
4. Jack Johnson
5. Gene Tunney
6. Rocky Marciano
7. Ezzard Charles
8. George Foreman
9. Joe Frazier
10. Larry Holmes

Tyson at 14
On accomplishments, of course. But Id bet hed still pick Tyson at his best to beat the hell out of most of them.

1. Joe Louis
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Jack Dempsey
4. Jack Johnson
5. Gene Tunney
6. Rocky Marciano
7. Ezzard Charles
8. George Foreman
9. Joe Frazier
10. Larry Holmes

Tyson at 14
One man's opinion, and he rates Joe over Ali, so I can't agree in first place. I rank many resumes over Tyson's, but head 2 head, prime Tyson obliterates Rocky, Dempsey, Liston, Louis, Holmes, Foreman, Shavers, Charles, Baer, Johnson, Lewis, McCall, Tunney, Frazier, Wilder, Joshua, Klitschkos and probably anyone else not named Ali who he probably also would have beaten.

His movement was too fast, he was defensively evasive while smothering everything his opponent could throw, his hands were fast and his power was on the same level as anyone in history, he knew the game, he peaked the youngest and strongest, he was the meanest of Listons cloth he said and proved, his self belief was that of an emperor, his gameplans were perfect, his self assessment was the most strict, he hated his performances when he implemented everything perfectly, his respect of the game was profound, even his worst opponents he took seriously and gave them credit, he was one of a kind, who could prepare for what was never seen before or since, the Apex predator, chin of granite, heart enough to fall apart as a person later in career and still withstand horrible beatings, people think the opponents broke him, no he broke himself, it took murderers row level HWTs to hand him losses when he stopped being that guy, plodding around flat footed and winging for the head...

How can "fans" say Mike ever lost when the Mike his believers was a completely different fighter than the one who fought and lived and trained with discipline and self awareness under Cus and Rooney? He was not Iron Mike when Douglas KOd him, he was not Iron Mike when Holyfield, an all time badass himself, stopped him, he was not Iron Mike when he took the terrible beating from Lewis.

It's retarded people can see the difference between Prime Roy and post Tarver Roy, and give Roy the pass for all the losses but recognize he was possibly the greatest ever when he was on, but Tyson at his best gets questioned. "He was a bully, all you had to do was stand up to him" BULLSHIT, plenty tried to stand up to him, it was just that foregone he was the best. Ali doesn't get questioned for losing to Berbick, but Tyson is a bum for falling to Holyfield, Lewis, and Douglas when he and his performances had deteriorated to the point they had. It was as night and day as you could get. Tyson almost knocked out Douglas absolutely as shell of the Mike we all believed in, his viscous mean desire to be the bigger meaner dog was there when Holyfield was breaking him down, what the fuck do people want from the man? No wonder he broke as a person.

People were haters and just wanted to see him fail or carry the flame of godlikeness til he was 80 to satisfy their skepticism. He was too good to believe and held to a higher standard than any other fighter in history, and it's fucking bullshit he can't get credit for what he was when he was on. The BJ Penn of boxing someone says, Jesus fucking Christ, BJ couldn't even hold Mike's jockstrap, Mike was it, he was the Pinnacle, there isn't going to be another. You can literally see it to this moment in time, people just LLOOOOOOOVE that he seems like a neutered version of himself, that he's friendly and a talkshow personality, a changed man, a wolf turned a domesticated lap dog, oh dance for us Mike, take a picture with our kids Mike, be the trained circus bear Mike, do cameos and prance for our amusement Mike... People waited for him to bend his knee because he was that feared, his prime left that impression, his aggressive volatile nature that frightening. He was so good he had to be broken and become a TMZ running joke before society would get the fuck off his back. I'm glad Tyson seems to be financially set now and happy, but he's one of the saddest stories in boxing because he was that good, and I can't think of any other boxer who left that impression ever. Not Dempsey, not Liston, not anyone. There is a reason for it. He sent shivers down viewers spines as he annihilated recognizable fighters with ease. It was unsettling to see everyone beaten so easy.

Seriously, how the fuck was it the same Tyson when motherfucking Botha was working him for 5 rnds before Tyson KOd that ass? How the FUCK was Botha in that fight if that was really Tyson?

Who.....? And when? When he was 40 and washed up/fat/not training?

Holyfield and Lewis would bury Rocky as well.

Buster Douglas, Kevin McBride, Danny Williams. And Holyfield and Lewis fought in a time of scientific PEDs and supplements, and diet. Can't compare that to someone from Marcianos era.

One man's opinion, and he rates Joe over Ali, so I can't agree in first place. I rank many resumes over Tyson's, but head 2 head, prime Tyson obliterates Rocky, Dempsey, Liston, Louis, Holmes, Foreman, Shavers, Charles, Baer, Johnson, Lewis, McCall, Tunney, Frazier, Wilder, Joshua, Klitschkos and probably anyone else not named Ali who he probably also would have beaten.

His movement was too fast, he was defensively evasive while smothering everything his opponent could throw, his hands were fast and his power was on the same level as anyone in history, he knew the game, he peaked the youngest and strongest, he was the meanest of Listons cloth he said and proved, his self belief was that of an emperor, his gameplans were perfect, his self assessment was the most strict, he hated his performances when he implemented everything perfectly, his respect of the game was profound, even his worst opponents he took seriously and gave them credit, he was one of a kind, who could prepare for what was never seen before or since, the Apex predator, chin of granite, heart enough to fall apart as a person later in career and still withstand horrible beatings, people think the opponents broke him, no he broke himself, it took murderers row level HWTs to hand him losses when he stopped being that guy, plodding around flat footed and winging for the head...

How can "fans" say Mike ever lost when the Mike his believers was a completely different fighter than the one who fought and lived and trained with discipline and self awareness under Cus and Rooney? He was not Iron Mike when Douglas KOd him, he was not Iron Mike when Holyfield, an all time badass himself, stopped him, he was not Iron Mike when he took the terrible beating from Lewis.

It's retarded people can see the difference between Prime Roy and post Tarver Roy, and give Roy the pass for all the losses but recognize he was possibly the greatest ever when he was on, but Tyson at his best gets questioned. "He was a bully, all you had to do was stand up to him" BULLSHIT, plenty tried to stand up to him, it was just that foregone he was the best. Ali doesn't get questioned for losing to Berbick, but Tyson is a bum for falling to Holyfield, Lewis, and Douglas when he and his performances had deteriorated to the point they had. It was as night and day as you could get. Tyson almost knocked out Douglas absolutely as shell of the Mike we all believed in, his viscous mean desire to be the bigger meaner dog was there when Holyfield was breaking him down, what the fuck do people want from the man? No wonder he broke as a person.

People were haters and just wanted to see him fail or carry the flame of godlikeness til he was 80 to satisfy their skepticism. He was too good to believe and held to a higher standard than any other fighter in history, and it's fucking bullshit he can't get credit for what he was when he was on. The BJ Penn of boxing someone says, Jesus fucking Christ, BJ couldn't even hold Mike's jockstrap, Mike was it, he was the Pinnacle, there isn't going to be another. You can literally see it to this moment in time, people just LLOOOOOOOVE that he seems like a neutered version of himself, that he's friendly and a talkshow personality, a changed man, a wolf turned a domesticated lap dog, oh dance for us Mike, take a picture with our kids Mike, be the trained circus bear Mike, do cameos and prance for our amusement Mike... People waited for him to bend his knee because he was that feared, his prime left that impression, his aggressive volatile nature that frightening. He was so good he had to be broken and become a TMZ running joke before society would get the fuck off his back. I'm glad Tyson seems to be financially set now and happy, but he's one of the saddest stories in boxing because he was that good, and I can't think of any other boxer who left that impression ever. Not Dempsey, not Liston, not anyone. There is a reason for it. He sent shivers down viewers spines as he annihilated recognizable fighters with ease. It was unsettling to see everyone beaten so easy.

LMAO. The mythical prime Tyson would beat everyone ever... please. He was terrified of 43 year old George Foreman fact. He had nothing for him. Nevermind Ali.

On accomplishments, of course. But Id bet hed still pick Tyson at his best to beat the hell out of most of them.

Which is a different argument. Like I said he is the BJ Penn of boxing. His aura is based on what could have been. Not what was.

LMAO. The mythical prime Tyson would beat everyone ever... please. He was terrified of 43 year old George Foreman fact. He had nothing for him. Nevermind Ali.
Yet in fact George said he wanted no part of Tyson....

Which is a different argument. Like I said he is the BJ Penn of boxing. His aura is based on what could have been. Not what was.
Didnt live up to his potential by any means but sure as shit wasnt an aura either. He tore through some fantastic fighters.

Back