1. The Froot Shoop Contest now active! Come Vote! »

Who do you rate higher: Marciano or Tyson?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by StewDogg11, Nov 29, 2019.

?

Pick One

1. Marciano

47.0%
  2. Tyson

53.0%
  1. Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

It wasn't just the fans that rated him No. 1 P4P. The BWAA, The Ring, and the TBRB rated him that before Canelo beat Kovalev. I'm not counting ESPN because Loma's an ESPN fighter.

2. PHATV

PHATV FREE @RR!!! Platinum Member

I agree. Marciano showed the heart of a warrior willing to die in there if need be and Tyson was broken a few times. But close, like Seano and Hagler mention. I give Rocky the edge, tho.

3. borntoloseNOT

borntoloseNOT Brown Belt

He might be the best in that sense, but it's purely eye test imo. The resume doesn't hold up, Canelo was far and away the best resume in boxing for a while. It's not just Loma getting the eye test treatment, TC really doesn't have the resume either. I think Loma will prove his greatness when he starts to fall off some, and looks super vunerable, but still continues to knock off names. I see all the names getting thrown around to be a threat getting knocked off tbh, none of them look fabulous lately, and they aren't even fighting title holders. Not even sure Lopez can beat Commey. Loma should have gotten Garcia fight, but making a fighter run and duck because you give him nightmares doesn't improve your resume. Just ask McCallum. The is evidence even Hagler didn't want to fight him.

4. borntoloseNOT

borntoloseNOT Brown Belt

I will also say, I wonder how Loma will fight when he does slow down. It will be interesting, I would like to see if he can become more methodical, and fight a more conventional 12 rnd pace, seeing as his version of 12 rnd pace right now makes it look like he could last 48 rounds if he took his foot off the gas a little.

5. City_Lights

City_Lights Brown Belt

Mike's win over Larry Holmes isn't as good as if he had done it a few years earlier but it's ridiculous to act like it wasn't still good. Holmes fought for a insane 14 years after that and beat an undefeated Ray Mercer and went 12 rounds with Holyfield. Tyson wiped the floor with him.

Goatenstein and borntoloseNOT like this.
  6. Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

He hasn't been letting his hands go until later in fights (Pedraza & Campbell) so IMO he's already realized he's getting older and has started taking less risk by opening up less, particularly with combinations. I think eventually we'll see him experiment more with sitting back and looking to control the pace rather than pushing it.

7. borntoloseNOT

borntoloseNOT Brown Belt

I was thinking he was sitting down on his work more to get respect from bigger men, but you know, it could be the beginning of a more methodical approach.

8. defjaam

defjaam Beltless

Sure, but look how Marciano built his record. Really just a lot of no hopers for the first 4 years as a pro...Then towards the end he fought Ezzard Charles, Walcott and Archie Moore, when they were past their best days.
    That's no critique, that was his era and he boxed who was there (besides Nino Valdes). In between a questionable decision win against La Starza.
    But imagine Tyson fighting nobodies from 1985-1989... He built his record for a year before fighting top competition. So I rate Tyson's 41-1 (that's his record prior to imprisonment) higher than Rocky's 49-0.
    Tyson wouldn't have gotten to 49-0 anyway,
    because Holyfield, Bowe and Lewis were already lurking. Rocky retired before Floyd Patterson and Sonny Liston came around.

Jhonni5 and Old Cat like this.
  9. SandisLL

SandisLL Purple Belt

Different era. Different managment.

In modern days too, no one will gave nobody with small record fight high level persons. :)
    Because nobody in ring doesn't attract enough tickets and ppv sales.
    Unless this nobody is some kind of high celebritiy.
    So yes, first bouts all have not impressive to show public & managment that one at least can fight,
    Plus a guy should learn and improve not to be beaten hard too early.
    Tyson too defeated not prime Holmes. Out of prime Holmes and Tyson then was the most mobile HW boxer when he fought Holmes.
    Younger, considerably faster Iron Mike v.s aging Holmes.

The problem is, that prizefighting usually holds in his hands mans even after their prime is gone.
    This is reason why athletes should fight them, because they still holds status and aren't retired.

Holmes won seriously ill, old, far past his prime … Ali. :(

This show how smart Rocky was, BTW self critical person with nuts to look into mirror and admit that PRIME is gone.
    It pains a lot and before proof in ring that prime is gone it pains even more and requires honest, logical self critical thinking.

10. ssx

ssx Brown Belt

comparisons or all time rankings should always be divided into 2 distinct categories. Career resume and head to head at their best.
    Resume wise, I’d lean slightly towards Marciano, and as Floyd Mayweather would say, being undefeated is a big deal. That said, head to head, Tyson mops the floor with Marciano each and every time 10/10.

Athenry04 likes this.
  11. StewDogg11

StewDogg11 Brown Belt

What about the Tyson that quit on his stool, pretty sure any version of Marciano mops the floor with him.

12. SandisLL

SandisLL Purple Belt

If Ali had Zaire bout with Iron Mike or Klitshko in their prime, they KOed him if not turned into Gerald No2.
    This doesn't mean hat we should value Ali lower than them. In 1974 he already wasn't in best shape:(….
    Ali from 60 ies WAS considerably better than in 1974.

13. Drugstore Cowboy

Drugstore Cowboy

Tyson. He's a higher tier heavyweight resume-wise and skill-wise IMO.

I'd have Tyson probably in top 7-8 and Marciano in top 10-13 at heavyweight.

Maybe I'm wrong.

14. SandisLL

SandisLL Purple Belt

Until fired good coaches yes.

Drugstore Cowboy likes this.
  15. StewDogg11

StewDogg11 Brown Belt

All I know is Marciano refused to accept defeat while Tyson not only tasted defeat he actively accepted it.

16. wilKO

wilKO Green, White & Gold belt

Marciano. Tyson is the most over-rated boxer in history. He's the BJ Penn of boxing. All praise based off potential and very little based off accomplishments. Tyson isn't even a top 10 HW of all time. Marciano is. Tyson lost to some cans. Marciano never lost.

17. Goatenstein

Goatenstein Black Belt

Tyson would beat the fuck out of that dweeb Marciano. Dinosaurs and middleweights for Rocky.

18. SandisLL

SandisLL Purple Belt

Interestingly what defeat he refused accept? :)
    I know that many sports fans demands from athletes better to die in ring than retire properly.
    These ppl hate undefeated athletes that were enough self critical and didn't overvalued their abilities.

Marciano refused to accept big bucks for step in 3 years after he retired.
    As undefeated athlete and previous tittle holder he was able to ask better purse in his life only for step in ring.
    Media in timeframe 1956 - 1959 developed rapidly. Ammount of $ that was able to be charged for tickets, ads etc rapidly increased.
    If he was so money loving or owervalued his own abilitities, he earned for this time damn big bucks. No matters, that he most likely lost, this didn't changed fact, that for this he might be able earn not less than upper middle class family during whole life. In moment when he stepped in ring again.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  19. spacetime

spacetime Silver Belt

Yes, Trevor Berbick was truly an all time great. Tony Tucker with a broken hand, etc not one win Tyson had against an active fighter was merited. Spinks took a dive before he even got hit. Holmes was not even an active fighter and trained for 4 months.

20. defjaam

defjaam Beltless

You still around chickentime? How did you get a yellow card?