Movies Who do you like better with Hitchcock? Grant or Stewart?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by errol ansen, Nov 19, 2020 at 8:06 AM.

?

Which Actor Do You Prefer In Hitchcock Films?

This poll will close on Aug 19, 2026 at 9:06 AM.
  1. Cary Grant

2. James Stewart

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. errol ansen Orange Belt Platinum Member

This is always a tough question for me. Its pretty interesting how they each made four films with Hitchcock. I enjoy all of these films, but am a bigger fan of Stewart in general, liked the characters in his four films just a little more overall, and tend to side with him when discussing this topic.

However, there is much to be said for Grant's films. The ending of Notorious with Claude Rains is amazing and I think North by Northwest might be my favorite of these eight if not all Hitchcock films. I would never argue Strangers on a Train is Hitchcock's best, but damn if I don't love that movie along with Psycho.

I find it interesting that Grant was the first to make a film with Hitchcock of the two, and although I am unsure of filming dates and what not, he was at least in the last released movie as well.

This debate, of course, might come down to which of the four films each did with Hitchcock you prefer, which villain(s) or leading ladie(s) you like best, and so on. The list for each is below with some nice fan art.

Cary Grant

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

================================================================

James Stewart

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

raty tat tat likes this.
  2. Gambit MMA Silver Belt

3. Adamant GOLD BELT

I think the more important question is why were neither men in Psycho?

Jack&Cat likes this.
  4. errol ansen Orange Belt Platinum Member

Interesting idea, would you have had one of them replace Perkins or just play another role? One of them as Det. Arbogast or Loomis?

I've never watched Psycho and thought about if someone else had been in a role, even the the role of the other secretary at the insurance office played by Hitchcock's daughter.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020 at 9:49 AM
  5. Adamant GOLD BELT

I'm not really sure where I'd put them. I definitely wouldn't replace Perkins. Maybe one of them could have been the guy at the end who "explains" what happened. Or the guy who gives Marion the cash and tells her to take it to the bank.

It's too bad Hitchcock didn't put them BOTH in one of his movies at the same time (or did he?). I suppose that would be like SPielberg using Hanks and Ford together in a movie. But at least they were together in The Philadelphia Story.

errol ansen likes this.
  6. Jack&Cat Green Belt

I was tempted to go along with this until I thought about it... The actor that plays Norman Bates in that is so good that I cannot imagine anyone else playing the role. It would change the entire landscape of the film. Anyone else in that movie could have been replaced, especially the woman on the run, but not him.

In my humble opinion.

7. Adamant GOLD BELT

I definitely agree. I wouldn't have replaced Perkins.

errol ansen and Jack&Cat like this.
  8. Beechwood Purple Belt

Probably Cary Grant, though both are entertaining actors.

errol ansen and Tone C like this.
  9. Doomer Brown Belt

James Stewart

errol ansen likes this.
  10. dc007 mr. white belt

Outside of NxNW, I think Stewart had the better films but I much prefer Grant as a leading man.

errol ansen likes this.
  11. Losfer Words Brown Belt

Whoever was in the one with Dali dream sequence.

errol ansen likes this.
  12. errol ansen Orange Belt Platinum Member

The Philadelphia Story was great, there was awesome casting in that movie right down to the kid actors.

They were never in the same Hitchcock film from what I've seen or read, four each, but four different films.

I honestly can't see a place for Grant in Psycho. If I were to put either in Psycho, it might be Stewart in as Det. Arbogast. I wonder if the pacing in his scenes such as this one would change too much with Stewart. Just watching this clip now, trying to picture Stewart there.

I always got a "Columbo" vibe from Martin Balsam in the role, even though I know Psycho came out first. A little faster than Peter Falk with dialogue, but the smaller stature, knowing he is on to something, coming around all the time. For example, Perkins and Stewart were both over 6' - 6'2 or 3, while Balsam was 5'6. I wonder how a taller, more well-known actor would affect the vibe. I know Stewart was not quick with words in a lot of his scenes, his unique stammering/stuttering, but the two are also quite different.

Jimmy Stewart Voice: We-We- Well what do you mean you're the only one here? I see someone up in that window!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020 at 1:28 PM
  13. errol ansen Orange Belt Platinum Member

I believe that was Gregory Peck from Spellbound.

Losfer Words likes this.
  14. Losfer Words Brown Belt

<{dayum}>

15. errol ansen Orange Belt Platinum Member

I really like NxNW too, everything right down to the color schemes and how the picture looks, cinematography, sound, and a great villain and connection between Grant and Eva Marie Saint.

NxNW also has my favorite Hitchcock cameo! :D

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020 at 11:41 AM
    dc007 likes this.
  16. 12ga. Silver Belt

North by Northwest is like the first james bond movie. Cary by a mile.

errol ansen likes this.
  17. errol ansen Orange Belt Platinum Member

NxNW played a large part when making my decision as well. I still picked Stewart, but it was close.

Its wild how many people think Vertigo is leaps and bounds beyond NxNW. Vertigo is indeed awesome, but I really favor NxNW over it as well.

18. Adamant GOLD BELT

Lol, I can totally hear James Stewart saying that line. And it actually fits. Him dying would be shocking as hell too.

I'm not sure how their height would affect things but I'm confident Hitchcock would have made it work. He would have framed it in a way that still made Perkins look intimidating. No doubt.

As for either guy not being in Psycho, I don't see why a brief cameo couldn't have worked. Imagine having no idea, and then all of a sudden out of nowhere one of the guys pops up at the very end.

I've only ever seen both films once a piece. I definitely need to see them again but I don't recall loving them. I remember Vertigo turned out WAY different than I had imagined. And N/NW sort of did too. I was expecting a legit James Bond film based on what everyone was saying but I didn't really feel like I got one.

Both films were good though.

19. errol ansen Orange Belt Platinum Member

I can see thinking NxNW would be along the lines of a Bond film. I loved Vertigo, but I was still let down a little with it, if that makes sense.

I also think Hitchcock could have made it work with Stewart in that scene as well. This vid from The Nerdwriter shows how Hitchcock sets up a scene, in particular, the scene where Scotty meets with Gavin in Vertigo. SPOILERS of courses. Maybe watch it after you watch Vertigo again, or this might make the movie even better, especially if you're already seen it once and know the jist of the plot if not more.

20. HARRISON_3 Steel Belt

Anthony Perkins and it's not even close

errol ansen likes this.