Who do you feel is the MVP of this year's Politicon

emax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This is the lineup for this year's PolitiCon. https://politicon.com/2018-line-up/

Out of these guests, who do you think is the most capable speaker in terms of debating skills, political and fiscal knowledge and ability to research their arguments and ability to make their case in an admirable manner? Who is the best out of all of these and who is the LVP, the least valuable player, the one who is most guilty of being a grifter just slinging mud and trying to garner attention in cheap ways?

I don't know about "Comic Con" but I'll be disappointed if Matt Chapman doesn't get strong consideration for the AL MVP award. Not that he's beating Betts or that he should, but he deserves to be in the top 5, if not the top 3.

I don't know about "Comic Con" but I'll be disappointed if Matt Chapman doesn't get strong consideration for the AL MVP award. Not that he's beating Betts or that he should, but he deserves to be in the top 5, if not the top 3.
Interesting. Vegas odds are Betts, Trout, Martinez, Ramirez and Altuve, in that order (descending in order of most likely) and I think they have it right. Your boy won't crack the top 5, I'm afraid.

Personally I haven't seen enough of him to judge and he's certainly a very good player, but I'd take Miguel Andujar over him, for example, straight up (I think).

To the OP, I am not familiar with a lot of folks on there and there are also some real turds, but Frum is one of the brightest and well spoken conservatives you'll find. He's always a pleasure to read/listen to.

Also, I think that's Politicon, not Comic Con.

Interesting. Vegas odds are Betts, Trout, Martinez, Ramirez and Altuve, in that order (descending in order of most likely) and I think they have it right. Your boy won't crack the top 5, I'm afraid.

Personally I haven't seen enough of him to judge and he's certainly a very good player, but I'd take Miguel Andujar over him, for example, straight up (I think).

Watching him every day, I can say that he's the best defensive 3B I've ever seen. Advanced metrics back that up, too. Third in the league in WAR because he's first in defensive WAR. Last year, despite only playing half a season, he was in the top 10 in defensive WAR. Other advanced defensive metrics lead to a similar conclusion. Betts and Trout are the top two, and I can see arguments for Ramirez or Lindor over him, but I don't think anyone else can squeeze above him.

the Kulinski - Ann Coulture debate should be hilarious

Must smell like corpses and sulfur in there

Watching him every day, I can say that he's the best defensive 3B I've ever seen. Advanced metrics back that up, too. Third in the league in WAR because he's first in defensive WAR. Last year, despite only playing half a season, he was in the top 10 in defensive WAR. Other advanced defensive metrics lead to a similar conclusion. Betts and Trout are the top two, and I can see arguments for Ramirez or Lindor over him, but I don't think anyone else can squeeze above him.
Gotcha. Andujar has him with the bat (early in both of their careers and that could obviously change) and he definitely needs work defensively, so your boy is much better there.

Would you say you give more weight to defense than most (whoever you want to compare yourself too, analysts, fans, etc.)?

Gotcha. Andujar has him with the bat (early in both of their careers and that could obviously change) and he definitely needs work defensively, so your boy is much better there.

Would you say you give more weight to defense than most (whoever you want to compare yourself too, analysts, fans, etc.)?

Possibly, yes. Not all analysts (KLaw is my favorite, and I think he gives proper weight to defense). Offense is easier to measure and people are more familiar with the norms for the metrics. Plus it's more obvious in highlights. I was at a game last Sunday (week before yesterday), and Chapman made three plays that I think wouldn't get in highlights but most 3B wouldn't make. Stats can capture that and watching every day can, but it's not like watching long homers or something.

Possibly, yes. Not all analysts (KLaw is my favorite, and I think he gives proper weight to defense). Offense is easier to measure and people are more familiar with the norms for the metrics. Plus it's more obvious in highlights. I was at a game last Sunday (week before yesterday), and Chapman made three plays that I think wouldn't get in highlights but most 3B wouldn't make. Stats can capture that and watching every day can, but it's not like watching long homers or something.
Wow, he's that good. It's going to be fun to see how his career unfolds. For your sake as an A's fan, let's hope that the A's can keep him during his prime.

I've always weighted defensive play higher than most as well. My fav player growing up was Don Mattingly and of course his nickname wasn't the Hitman for nothing, but he was a great defensive player at a position with a lot of poor defensive players. And I always really appreciated players like Omar Visquel and Pudge Rodriguez (possible steroid use aside).

Gary Sanchez drives me insane. He has the talent to be an all time great offensive catcher and has a rocket for an arm but he is just horrendous at blocking balls and gets crossed up all the time. And I have no patience for that stuff from the catcher.

Anyway, I digress. Happy to talk baseball in a side chat.

Wow, he's that good. It's going to be fun to see how his career unfolds. For your sake as an A's fan, let's hope that the A's can keep him during his prime.

Yeah, just to illustrate, one of the plays I'm referring to was where he fielded a grounder and ended up making the throw from foul territory on the outfield grass, and it wasn't even a close play. He combines both a great glove with a ridiculous arm (supposedly he can hit triple digits off the mound, and I saw a warmup throw to first where he had his feet close together and didn't move them).

The second play here is similar:

Ed: @Limbo Pete, can you move these to the OT thread? I assumed the TS fucked up putting it here and it would be dumped.

Yeah, just to illustrate, one of the plays I'm referring to was where he fielded a grounder and ended up making the throw from foul territory on the outfield grass, and it wasn't even a close play. He combines both a great glove with a ridiculous arm (supposedly he can hit triple digits off the mound, and I saw a warmup throw to first where he had his feet close together and didn't move them).

The second play here is similar:

Ed: @Limbo Pete, can you move these to the OT thread? I assumed the TS fucked up putting it here and it would be dumped.

Holy shit. That double play at around the 50 mark is incredible (not many 3bs in the history of baseball make that play).

I've seen a few of the others and yeah, that guy is a stud.

I saw Bernie Sanders son in CNN this morning and boy does he have a lot of work to do. His ability to dodge questions sucks compared to seasoned politicians. He sounds fairly intelligent but gives off a hipster, decided to run because my dad has a good name in politics and he told me I need to get a job look.

1469224931895-e1469224978191.jpg

Back