Who do you feel is the most underrated former Champ?

With stressing the word "underrated" (because most answers will include guys that really are not under rated) Matt Serra.
Serra was very skilled and a very intelligent fighter. Of course he was lucky to beat GSP, but in any other world he could win that belt.
That wasn't luck he dominated gsp

I'm going to have to agree with those who said Matt Hughes. I know it's odd to call a hall of famer underrated. But I don't think that it's his skills that are underrated, but more his place in history. Obviously, being a welterweight, the goalposts are set at GSP, which is a tough bar. But it seems like now and days, every time a welterweight makes has one or two successful title defenses, all of a sudden they're in the conversation for the welterweight GOAT, or people start asking the question "so and so" vs GSP . Hughes had 2 title runs,totaling 1500 days I cant remember exactly but I think 6 or 7 title defenses, and his resume of victories of some of the greatest fighters of that time, and of all time. Rich Franklin is probably second. If it wasn't for Silva he could have ran MW for a long time.

bj is the currently least respected guy that ever owned his division. oh and lets not forget he took the 170 belt too

In my opinion it’s Randy Couture, dude was a monster wrestler and I would favor him over everyone in the division (and possibly LHW) if he was in his prime fighting right now.

Couture in my opinion was one of the most OVERRATED actually. Most underrated probably Bisping. Was fighting with 1 eye that whole time.

Who do you feel is the most underrated former Champ?
Tony-Ferguson-UFC-216-Post.jpg

Interim belt, yada yada yada. The fact that I'm the first one to post this seals it

Here's to all those who disagree
giphy.gif

DJ, Aldo, Sherk..

Aldo isn’t underrated by anybody who has followed the sport for an extended period of time.

he’s not only the best fw of all time but one of the all time greats.

My case is Forrest being underrated by the younger generation.

Ill date myself and say I think Forrest fans are the younger generation.
you can’t take a teens opinion on anything fight related seriously. Having said that
I really like forest. He had some good years and good wins.
He was just slow and lumbering. But I always rooted for forest. Well most of the time.

It's hard to be a champion and underrated. I suppose it would have to be a dominant champ that isn't really put among the GOATs. Maybe Matt Hughes? Woodley and Usman are constantly being put against GSP for WW goat, but everyone just kind of ignores how dominant Hughes was in his day.

anybody who equates woodley and especially Usman above gsp are new to the sport and have no idea what they’re talking about.
Usman isn’t even close to the career of Matt Hughes who is very close to gsp.

people don’t ignore Hughes. They weren’t there to watch. Have no perspective on the sport. And the most current guy who is winning is the goat.

those guys are just kids. Who listen to commentary and think every fighter today is the greatest at everything.
As if people didn’t know how to fight in the year 2000.

Matt Serra ....... greatest ww champ ever

My case is Forrest being underrated by the younger generation.

LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO
As if he was ever good. What. LMFAO. Dude don't act like you are 'older' generation and spew non sense

Hughes was fucking amazing and is underrated by the kids. Even Newton who he beat to be champ is underrated. But it is a young sport and who is top today matters
He's also probably the only guy to ever win a title while unconcious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back