Who do you feel is the most underrated former Champ?

It's hard to be a champion and underrated. I suppose it would have to be a dominant champ that isn't really put among the GOATs. Maybe Matt Hughes? Woodley and Usman are constantly being put against GSP for WW goat, but everyone just kind of ignores how dominant Hughes was in his day.
Hughes was fucking amazing and is underrated by the kids. Even Newton who he beat to be champ is underrated. But it is a young sport and who is top today matters

Bisping <28>

Dude fought a bunch of roided up monsters, clean. He out struck and beat AS with one eye and basically gave him a free KO shot in the middle of the fight and still managed to win the last round and the fight. He beat Rockhold, just like against AS in the stand up and K his ass silly in the first round, only with one fucking eye!

Last edited:
With stressing the word "underrated" (because most answers will include guys that really are not under rated) Matt Serra.
Serra was very skilled and a very intelligent fighter. Of course he was lucky to beat GSP, but in any other world he could win that belt.

One of the most dumbest, funniest post I've ever read. Oh man. LMFAO.

IS that you Matt? Longo? LMAFO. THAT is so fucking funny LMAO.

Michael Bisping. Considering everything he went through to get there. How he got there, and his disability.

The correct answer is Tim Sylvia. He was a beast. He gets no respect whatsoever. He gets least respect out of most former champs, but compared to some guys, he was actually GOOD and he had good accomplishments.

He's much much much much much better than Bisping. Bisping is a legend now. LMAO.

*ps: I posted this before the post above showed up.

On Sherdog it is probably Conor And Forrest Griffin.

Aldo

He’s the reason I made my username. Too many Mcgregor fanboys were shitting on his name.

On Sherdog it is probably Conor And Forrest Griffin.

lul. Lots of tuf noobs on this thread. LMAO. Forrest Griffin, even being underated is comical, but most underated? LMAO.

Jose Aldo. I hadn't thought about any champs being that underrated, but since someone mentioned it, Holloway was called the GOAT just for defeating him twice. That's like saying McGregor is the featherweight GOAT just for beating HIM (Holloway) and Also.
Yeah but people actually do say that despite his win over Max happening with Max coming off a lose and ranked 15th and his win over Aldo coming in a fight where both guys landed 1 punch each at the exact same time. Not to mention Aldo was only his 3rd top 10 FW win.

Aldo is obviously the GOAT but at least Max did it twice leaving no questions, kind of like the Weidman/ Silva situation.

As for the most underrated it's probably Brock. UFC 2 time defending HW champion 7 fights and 3 years into his MMA career yet he gets no respect because he came from the WWF.

Probably Bisping. He gets very little respect around here.

A lot of names of guy's who lost the belt in their first defence in here.

Anyone can win a fight on any given night, to qualify as a Champion you should really have to successfully defend your title at least once and prove you're the best in the division, not just the guy who got the shot before the guy that beat you.

Matt Hughes had it right in this regard.

In my opinion it’s Randy Couture, dude was a monster wrestler and I would favor him over everyone in the division (and possibly LHW) if he was in his prime fighting right now.

Tough question. I agree with you on Couture, he has always been under rated imo even when he was champ.

Glad to see Bisping getting some love.

Yeah but people actually do say that despite his win over Max happening with Max coming off a lose and ranked 15th and his win over Aldo coming in a fight where both guys landed 1 punch each at the exact same time. Not to mention Aldo was only his 3rd top 10 FW win.

Aldo is obviously the GOAT but at least Max did it twice leaving no questions, kind of like the Weidman/ Silva situation.

As for the most underrated it's probably Brock. UFC 2 time defending HW champion 7 fights and 3 years into his MMA career yet he gets no respect because he came from the WWF.

I agree. Brock Lesnar is pretty underrated. Ironically, casuals don't know that he was the UFC Heavyweight Champion and are the ones who underrate him the most. Just go to Cain Velasquez and you see comments of casuals saying "this is the UFC, this isn't WWE, Brock" without even realizing that he was literally defending his title (meaning he had technically reached the "epitome" of success in the UFC). Casuals overrate McGregor, but some reason, casuals underrate Lesnar. It's strange.

Rich Franklin. If not for Anderson, he could have been champ a lot longer. Stayed a clear #2 for a while. Could also have beaten Chuck/Randy/Tito in the mid-2000s, IMO. Throws punches from weird angles, Joe.

Back