Who did you think won these close fights?

If someone is fully mounted, and they get out of full mount, that is a "win" in terms of grappling, for the person getting out of full mount. It's a smaller win than getting mounted, but it's not like it's nothing.

I'm just saying that Shogun fans were delusional enough that this did not occur to them. It's looking like it's entirely possible that you are one of those Shogun fans. They were acting like it was the equivalent of someone who got full mount in each round, but all in a single round. I'm not talking about a "Shogun maintained positional dominance for almost the entire round," but people making a "5X dominance" argument.

You're also making the fight-stat logical fallacy of pretending that all strikes are created equal. Hendo hurt Shogun badly enough that the fight easily could have been stopped in that sequence and no one would have complained that it was a bad stoppage. The two minutes of Shogun trying to run out the round by pressing Hendo into the fence didn't bring him back in that round, he took more serious damage from Henderson's elbows than he gave out during that period.

Shogun rained down 80 soft, tired, listless and weak strikes from mount. He was also exhausted. While salting the round away and piling up points, they weren't particularly damaging.

If putting in any kind of submision attempt is that important for you, the first time Henderson gets out of mount, he put Shogun into a guillotine that wasn't seriously dangerous to Shogun, easily defended, but he had him in it. So, does that guillotine negate the 10-8 dominance? I don't think it did.

The same could be said about Shogun's heel-hook attempt that never had Henderson in any serious danger in Round 3 and was easily defended.

The judges were still adverse to scoring 10-8s back then. In that lens, they scored who won each round correctly. If you aren't adverse to scoring 10-8 rounds, both the third and the fifth are pretty easily 10-8, and the fifth is nowhere close to a 10-7. Shogun wins the round 10-8 by positional dominance throughout the round. Henderson wins 10-8 by having a sequence where he had Shogun hurt so badly that he was nearly finished and it easily could have been stopped, and then by additionally winning the rest of the round outside of that sequence. If you feel that the fifth was more clearly a 10-8, super duper, but being "more 10-8" doesn't mean the other one wasn't 10-8.
Lmao no improving from being mounted to being on bottom in half guard or side control isnt a win for the guy on bottom. He is still losing he just isnt losing as much. They way you score grappling is totally incorrect. I never said all significant strikes are equal or that Shogun significant strikes were equal to Henderson so that's a straw man argument so you shouldn't be complaining about logical fallacies while basing your arguments on logical fallacies. Also hendo didn't have a submission attempt in that fight he had a front headlock but he didn't actually lock up a guillotine.

Last edited:
Keep in mind I haven’t seen these fights in years but this is how I remember scoring at the time.

Henderson over Rua, 48-47
Edgar drew with Maynard, 47-47
Condit over Lawler, 48-47
Machida over Jackson, 29-28
Rua over Machida, 48-47
Couture vs. Rizzo was before my time
Reyes over Jones, 48-47
Condit over Diaz, 48-47

I really need to rewatch Condit/Diaz one day.

Rampage Jackson getting the win over Lyoto Machida was the craziest robbery ever.

Johnny Hendricks beat GSP.

Shogun vs Hendo 1 my favorite fight all time could of been a draw. I thought they were gonna call it a draw.

Condit had the perfect game plan to beat Diaz & that's coming from a Diaz fan.

Oh yeah & Anderson knocked out Bisping.

Maybe it’s a coincidence but a lot of them for me personally were draws. I thought both guys didn’t deserve to lose and there was no clear winner. Draws are rare in MMA but I’d like them more for fairer results.

Shogun Rua- Dan Henderson: UFC 139
Draw

Frankie Edgar- Gray Maynard II: UFC 125
Draw

Robbie Lawler-Carlos Condit: UFC 195
Draw

Quinton Jackson-Lyoto Machida: UFC 123
Didn’t watch

Shogun Rua-Lyoto Machida: UFC 104
Shogun

Couture- Rizzo: UFC 31
Didn’t watch

Jones-Reyes: UFC 247
Jones

Condit-Diaz: UFC 143
Condit

I think I agree with TS on all those fights.

Don't forget the Leites robbery in Glasgow.

Maybe I’m thinking of a different fight but my memory of that fight is Bisping pretty much chewed Leites up and spit him out.

As for the ones TS listed, I thought Shogun and Rampage both beat Machida, Edgar/Maynard was deservingly a draw, Condit beat Diaz, and Hendo/Shogun probably should have been a draw.

Throwback... bas rutten vs kevin randleman...Kevin clearly won that fight

Maybe I’m thinking of a different fight but my memory of that fight is Bisping pretty much chewed Leites up and spit him out.

As for the ones TS listed, I thought Shogun and Rampage both beat Machida, Edgar/Maynard was deservingly a draw, Condit beat Diaz, and Hendo/Shogun probably should have been a draw.
Watch that fight again. It was a split decision victory for Bisping in the UK.

If that fights anywhere else in the world Bisping would have taken the L. 1 judge in the UK tried to give it to Thales.

Watch that fight again. It was a split decision victory for Bisping in the UK.

If that fights anywhere else in the world Bisping would have taken the L. 1 judge in the UK tried to give it to Thales.

I was thinking of the wrong fight. I was thinking of Mousasi vs. Leites which was on the same card as Bisping/Silva.

I agree with most those, except Shogun Pretty clearly beat Machida. It was definitely a real case of a robbery in my opinion.

Shogun-Henderson: Shogun

Frankie-Gray: Frankie

Lawler-Condit: Condit

Jackson-Machida: Machida

Rua-Machida Machida

Couture- Rizzo: Couture

Jones-Reyes: Jones

Condit-Diaz: Diaz

Draw for hendo Shogun
Condit wins spilt
Jon wins split
Shogun wins decision vs machida

Draw
Draw
Lawler
Machida
Machida
Don't remember
Reyes
Diaz

I was thinking of the wrong fight. I was thinking of Mousasi vs. Leites which was on the same card as Bisping/Silva.
Yeah moose buzzsawed him.

Thales, a bjj guy, beat Bisping standing.

Hendo
Frankie
Robbie
Lyoto
Shogun
Rizzo
Reyes
Condit

Back