Who deserves a rematch more - Anderson or Gustafsson?

I don't think either of them deserve an instant rematch but if I have to say who deserves it more I would say Gus as his fight was actually competitive, Anderson wasn't ever winning in his fight with Weidman.

If this was a sport, Gus would deserve the rematch more, since Anderson lost far more decisively than he did. But UFC isn't a sport, so factors like Anderson's long reign and GOAT status will overshadow the manner in which he lost and make him seem more "deserving" than Gus.

gus because he arguably won that fight.

the only reason anderson deserves a rematch is because he was a long time, dominating champ. if he wasn't, an embarrassing performance like that deserves shit.

Rematched should only happen if the decision was clearly wrong or one of the fighters get a freak injury. I hate what happened to the LW division a few years ago, no more of that.

Neither of them. They both lost fair and square.

Anderson lost because he was acting like a total idiot and deservedly got ko'd. Why should he get an immediate rematch?

Because a) he's the greatest champion the sport has ever known and b) he was acting like an idiot and many of us feel we didn't get a real fight.

Gus lost a war but IMO the judges got it right so again despite being a grerat fight why should he be considered for an immediate rematch?

Because we like seeing competitive title fights and this is a potentially classic rivalry developing between the two. Better to take advantage of the rematch while they're both young and in their primes rather than wait 3 yrs for one of them to start losing or getting injured/old.

Plus Glover and Davis aren't the most compelling challenges we've seen.

This thread should be re-titled on account of the fact the Silva Weidman rematch is happening regardless of how you feel about it.
Who really cares. Everything in the UFC is based on public interest. If enough noise is made, why not?
As for Gus vs. Jones II, sure they should fight again, what's the alternative? Watching Glover get smashed?
Worst case, have Gus vs. Glover while Jones heals and then Jones Gus II when he's all better :).

Gustafsson by far
Gustafsson fight was far closer and many people think he won that fight.
While Anderson get KO'ed silly

Rematched should only happen if the decision was clearly wrong or one of the fighters get a freak injury. I hate what happened to the LW division a few years ago, no more of that.

Completely agree. I might even say not when the decision was clearly wrong depending on the circumstances. Freak injury, also depends on the circumstances. Cote did not deserve a rematch with anderson nor does the korean zombie deserve one with aldo.

I think when you give a rematch a couple fights to build, it makes it a much bigger event. You want the guy with the loss begging to fight the guy who gave it to him, not assuming that he is entitled to it. Makes the stakes higher in every fight. The only times I would really support an immediate rematch without at least a one off fight would be Edgar/Maynard 2, Randy/Vitor, and Hughes/Newton. Maybe you could convince me of Shogun/Machida or Edgar/Penn 1, based on the circumstances. But thats it.

Both of them should get rematches.

1) The fans want it. I understand you can't give the fans what they want all the time, but there is no reason in this case.

2) This is MMA. If you don't sign the fight now it might never happen. Too much can go wrong

3) Too much unfinished business. I think its important to legitimize the champ. Half of sherdog (foolishly imo) think Anderson is still the best fighter at 185. I think that needs to be resolved, before Weidman moves on. The same could be said for Jones / Gus.

IMO Gus has a greater case for rematch. Anderson was not competitive, and i don't think he'll do much better in the rematch. I do believe Gus has Jones's number though.

Jones-udaracv.jpg

GUSTAFSSON

Easily Anderson. Dominant champs deserve immediate rematches when they lose. It's usually what people want to see and often times, a real dominant champ has already beaten the guys worth mentioning in the division.

I thought the fight was clearly a win for Jones, but a lot of people think otherwise. At the end of the day, it was a unanimous decision win and a challenger doesn't deserve an immediate rematch for having a close fight, especially when there are game contenders like Glover and Davis that Jones has yet to fight yet.

Anderson by a mile. The shot should go to the #1 contender. It's pretty hard not to have Silva at #1 on the contender list behind Weidman given how thoroughly he's cleaned out the division. Gus's fight was more competitive, true, but he's only fought top ten once or twice to date so he still has lots to prove in terms of number one contender status.

anderson.

Greatest champ of all time.

Plus there other challengers in the pipeline for Jones' title. Can't keep them waiting.

Easy...... Anderson because he's Anderson.

Plus we never got to actually see him fight Weidman.

Plus he's Anderson.

Gustafsson obviously. He arguably should've got the decision while Anderson got outclassed and KO'd

Back