Who Can Take TJ Dillashaw Seriously as BW Champ Now?

T.J. vs Henry 2 at 135 is already built in

will be very dissappointed if they go in a different direction

(this also gives time for Cruz to get back in the mix, and one more fight for Benavidez)

I sure as hell cant. TJ needs to fight cejudo at 135 to prove he's still BW champ.

If TJ fights the winner of Marlon vs Assuncao I cant take that seriously as a championship fight. TJ is a paper champ until he fighs Cejudo at 135.
So as a result you also discredit Marlon or Assuncao? He is the legitimate champ of 135, undisputed. He took it back and defended it in brutal fashion, the same thing that happened when he won it the first time. Perhaps you shouldn't discredit Henry like that either, the man is a an olympic gold medalist! Losing to him doesn't make anyone less credible

As one of his biggest fans, it is really hard to after Saturday. He really needs that rematch against Cejudo at 135 now.

I'm not confident he wins though. I get the weight cut most likely did have an impact negatively on his performance and the stoppage was debatably early (I wasn't too upset about the stoppage). But Cejudo is looking legit as fuck.

Dude is getting better and better.

Losing to a lower weight champ should def get you stripped. Tj fucked up so hard lol. 0 chance of getting in the pound for pound discussion now.

He shouldn't have took the pussy route and went down in weight. Made no sense, wasn't impressive even if he did win.

Lmao he is still the bw champ.

Tj lost fair and square. But people need to realize that its a real pain to drop 10 pounds at less than 10% bf. He looked lethargic, slow... It will take a toll on you. He needs to stay at bw and forget about moving down or up.

Id like to see a rematch at 135 now.

TJ should not have tried to cut down to a weight he'd never fought at before. Bad move by TJ, I didn't know the cut would be that tough for him but after seeing it...

I didn’t take him all that seriously before.

Ok, that’s probably a little rough. More accurately I don’t think his record as champion is all that impressive. Broken Barao, Joe Soto and Cody is not all time great if you ask me. He needs to defend against Marlon, Rivera, Asuncao even it up against Cruz. Then we can talk about putting him in the same class as GSP, Anderson, MM, Aldo etc.

I didn’t take him all that seriously before.

Ok, that’s probably a little rough. More accurately I don’t think his record as champion is all that impressive. Broken Barao, Joe Soto and Cody is not all time great if you ask me. He needs to defend against Marlon, Rivera, Asuncao even it up against Cruz. Then we can talk about putting him in the same class as GSP, Anderson, MM, Aldo etc.
To be on the Lv of Jones, Anderson, GSP, Aldo, MM, conor you must be an undefeated Champion for years with at least 8 title defences!

Yeah let’s act like TJ wasn’t finished by a 125er at BW before. Henry beats TJ at 135.

He lost outside his division, so on a rational level that doesn't impact his BW status. However, TS has a point and in general moving down a weight class and losing always reflects badly on you, regardless of BW considerations.

why is why he was an absolute dumb to take the fight. little gain and everything to lose.

He is still a stud and the best 135er. He lost to someone in their weight division. Can Cejudo beat him at 135 though when TJ aint drained and the refs dont stop the fight too early?
have you stopped to consider the benefits henry would have not cutting down to 125? He is huge. He might pack a fuck ton more power and strength and cardio... this is coming from a TJ fan lol

What nobody is mentioning is the major physiological and neurological damage done by a forced weight cut to 125. For a guy as big as TJ this will IMO have lasting effects. Dude needs a year off to recover.

What is the logic there? He dropped weight (and looked sickly doing it). It is a lot harder to DROP weight below a weight you're already cutting at and do well..especially in your first fight in doing so. Let's be honest, if Cejudo was 146 in the cage, shouldn't he have come up in weight for this?

No , Dana's goal was to eliminate the 125 division. TJ was a hired gun essentially, if he beat Cejudo , then Dana would have had justification to declare FW as redundant , and eliminate the weight class.
He may still accomplish that , at the expense of sacrificing his BW champ in a rematch at 135. Maybe they could have done it at a catch weight for both belts, but neither would have signed on for that.

Anderson Silva wouldn't drop to 170 to fight GSP, nor would GSP risk going up to 185 , unless he felt confident in beating Silva. Weight classes exist for a reason.

Biggest issue for FW was PPV buys or viewership on Spike/Fox/ESPN + , those networks want a return on their investment. I think FW can work on ESPN+ is promoted properly. It should headline a PPV , as it's proven not to attract casuals.

As happy as I was that Cejudo won, it's a reach to call TJ a "paper champ". He seemed very weak, the way Cejudo pushed him should tell you everything you need to know.

I wonder how many of you ever went on a diet to lose a few pounds.

If he tries to play the snake/heel and trash talk he's gonna hear it for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back