Who Can Beat Chris WEidman AT 185 lbs?

I would have to say Rockhold is a big threat . Romero is the dark horse very explosive, great wrestling, spectacular counter striking.

A puncher's chance for everyone. But really I want to see Weidman man up and face Jones at 205, which it seems he would. That is, if Jones can't man up and go to HW.

Jones said he could make the cut to 185 if he wanted. Maybe a catchweight?

You're underselling Jacare. He has big power in his right hand at least and has good timing with it. Also, he has major strength, and good td's with a judo background.

I wouldn't pick anybody against Weidman. He has power and technical ability to win on the feet. He can take you to the ground with pretty good proficiency. And has nasty gnp and solid bjj once he gets you there. But where he's kind of unproven is in the transitions and from his back. He's never been on his back before, and only Maia, who had a huge size disadvantage and was gassy, tried to put him there even once. I'd be interested to see what Jacare could do with his strength + judo + world class bjj, and if he could land that right hand solidly a few times. He's the biggest threat, and a serious one, IMO.

Romero is in a similar boat as Jacare, if he pulls off that upset. Although he's frustrating in the way he won't change his pacing. Weidman may just be too quick for him.

Weidman comfortably beat Machida the first time, but Machida may have learned he just needs to open up more than usual if he wants a realistic chance to beat the Chris. He was coming on at the end of the last fight when he made that realization.

Of course Belfort has a good chance to land a big kick from safe distance for at least the first couple of rounds. Then it should be heavily Weidman's world in the likely event he makes it past that point.

A bunch of guys in this division full of killers toward the top have a very realistic shot, but all will be deserved dogs.

Cormier when he loses more weight

Rockhold trains with Cain and DC so he could probably stop the takedown although I'm not sure that'll help him.

I really thought Machida was the guy, but looks like I was wrong.

Anyhow, I predict that it's either Rockhold or Jacare that have the best shot against him, but I'm not sure I see either beating him.

Honestly, Weidman's standup is not that far ahead of Jacare's (if it is at all). I think your statement is patently false.

he dominated anderson and knocked him down, but yeah

and i beat weidman takes him down and gnp him

I think Rockhold could take him. That's the fight I want to see. If Rockhold gets past Machida.....

Vitor, Rockhold, Jacare and Romero all have their chances in different ways. I think Weidman is a favorite over all of them but he's got some tough fights coming up.

Rockhold would accept the fight on the ground,he has nasty submissions and is just as big as Weidman,great movement,kicks..imo his top threat with great camp too.

he dominated anderson and knocked him down, but yeah

and i beat weidman takes him down and gnp him

Give me a break. Anderson had clearly lost his chin and was a shade of his former self. Was the win solid? Indeed, but that is not, necessarily, an indicator of Weidman's standup capacity. Apart from his left-hook, his hands are still fairly green. His confidence and his grappling are why he is in the position he is in today.

Weidman taking him down and beating him from the top position is a far more likely scenario here.

Last edited:
Rockhold would accept the fight on the ground,he has nasty submissions and is just as big as Weidman,great movement,kicks..imo his top threat with great camp too.

Rockhold is a very competent grappler in his own right, indeed. I think this matchup is the most interesting in the division.

both machida and weidman hurt eachother in that fight. its still almost a 50/50 fight.. machida gives anyone trouble. perhaps weidman wins again but i wouldnt bet on that fight.

Non clowning/non freak injury silva

bigfoot-walking-o.gif

surgeonspicture.gif

Back