Who beside Jones can beat DC?

Someone like Ngannou might be able to win 1 in 50 or so, but the only fighter in MMA history I would favor over DC is Jon Jones.

Someone like Ngannou might be able to win 1 in 50 or so, but the only fighter in MMA history I would favor over DC is Jon Jones.
True.

Not sure I would favor Jones at HW though.

he don't want no smoke with TheRassler.

If you say "could" beat him, a lot of HW's could land that bomb. If you mean "would be favored" to beat him then nobody other than Jones really. Guys like Ngannou, Stipe, Overeem, Blaydes, etc surely could beat DC but I wouldn't pick them to do so.

Wait, so you think Dana is a good predictor of fight results? Like... since Stipe would definitely be an underdog in a rematch and most of Sherdog would agree that Stipe showed little reason to believe he would win the rematch, yet you believe Stipe would have a great chance based on your perception that Dana is protecting DC from a guy he already convincingly beat?

Interdasting
<TheWire1>
I had to go back and read my post because I thought I blacked out. I never said Stipe had a great chance, I never said Dana White was a good predictor of fight results. In fact I never even implied those things. I think Stipe poses huge problems for DC and if his team worked on his game plan (don't clinch with DC, dummy) that fight changes drastically.
I also don't think that a 1st round KO is necessarily a convincing win, and it certainly is not in this case. A convincing win, in my opinion, implies that the fighter has dissected another fighter. Edson Barboza's last win was convincing. Conor's 13 second KO of Aldo was impressive, but didn't show you anything about the two fighter's skillsets.
Finally, saying that Stipe showed "little reason to believe he would win the rematch" is absolutely false. Below i have provided you with two links to begin re-watching the fight, it is less than five minutes.
The fight was closer than the KO indicates. Stipe lands plenty of solid strikes and controls DC against the cage. I won't get into the eye poke because only Stipe could say whether that influenced the result or not.
In the future I would appreciate if you don't put words in my mouth.

https://www.mma-core.com/videos/Stipe_Miocic_vs_Daniel_Cormier_Full_Fight_UFC_226_Part_2/10232003

https://www.mma-core.com/videos/Stipe_Miocic_vs_Daniel_Cormier_Full_Fight_UFC_226_Part_3/10232004

If you say "could" beat him, a lot of HW's could land that bomb. If you mean "would be favored" to beat him then nobody other than Jones really. Guys like Ngannou, Stipe, Overeem, Blaydes, etc surely could beat DC but I wouldn't pick them to do so.
Good point. DC's chin is pretty good though, it's undefeated at HW :D

I had to go back and read my post because I thought I blacked out. I never said Stipe had a great chance, I never said Dana White was a good predictor of fight results. In fact I never even implied those things. I think Stipe poses huge problems for DC and if his team worked on his game plan (don't clinch with DC, dummy) that fight changes drastically.
I also don't think that a 1st round KO is necessarily a convincing win, and it certainly is not in this case. A convincing win, in my opinion, implies that the fighter has dissected another fighter. Edson Barboza's last win was convincing. Conor's 13 second KO of Aldo was impressive, but didn't show you anything about the two fighter's skillsets.
Finally, saying that Stipe showed "little reason to believe he would win the rematch" is absolutely false. Below i have provided you with two links to begin re-watching the fight, it is less than five minutes.
The fight was closer than the KO indicates. Stipe lands plenty of solid strikes and controls DC against the cage. I won't get into the eye poke because only Stipe could say whether that influenced the result or not.

https://www.mma-core.com/videos/Stipe_Miocic_vs_Daniel_Cormier_Full_Fight_UFC_226_Part_2/10232003

https://www.mma-core.com/videos/Stipe_Miocic_vs_Daniel_Cormier_Full_Fight_UFC_226_Part_3/10232004

I already watched the fight, so Im good on that. Stipe did OK before the KO, but never at any point showed a real threat to DC (to be fair, neither fighter did). Although you did not explicitly say it, you did insinuate that what Dana thought had some relevance to the likelihood of a Stipe win in the rematch, or else there was no relevance of saying that... either to your post, or to the thread.

I still think Stipe could beat him. These days whenever Dana refuses to allow an immediate rematch I treat that as a sign that he knows it wouldn't turn out well for his prize fighter.

You also implied that you think Stipe had a good chance of winning the rematch, or there would be no point in saying he "could beat him". I mean we all know it is theoretically possible for anyone to win an MMA match vs anyone else, so to say that implies that those chances are pretty good. Again though, I wasnt criticizing your perception of Stipe's chances, just the implication that Dana's thoughts had any relevance to Stipe's actual chance.

Perhaps it was not your intent to imply those things, in which case I misunderstood. However, both statements, by their very presence, does imply what I said, or they would be completely pointless and irrelevant otherwise.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

giphy (9).gif

I already watched the fight, so Im good on that. Stipe did OK before the KO, but never at any point showed a real threat to DC (to be fair, neither fighter did). Although you did not explicitly say it, you did insinuate that what Dana thought had some relevance to the likelihood of a Stipe win in the rematch, or else there was no relevance of saying that... either to your post, or to the thread.

You also implied that you think Stipe had a good chance of winning the rematch, or there would be no point in saying he "could beat him". I mean we all know it is theoretically possible for anyone to win an MMA match vs anyone else, so to say that implies that those chances are pretty good. Again though, I wasnt criticizing your perception of Stipe's chances, just the implication that Dana's thoughts had any relevance to Stipe's actual chance.

Perhaps it was not your intent to imply those things, in which case I misunderstood. However, both statements, by their very presence, does imply what I said, or they would be completely pointless and irrelevant otherwise.
I can respect your input here because it seems reasonable. We might disagree here and maybe i could’ve been less flippant with wording, so the only thing I want to correct is that any time i mention Dana White it is not meant to imply anything positive. I think about as little of him as I do of anyone. DC won that fight without question and he gave stipe as much trouble as stipe gave him until the KO. I apologize for coming off like a dick

Past Fedor and Nog, JDS, likely Ubereem...maybe CC. Present Cain, Stipe with a good plan.

No one on UFC roster in my opinion, Cormier beats them all. I honestly think Cormier would beat every fighter on the roster except for Jones, thats why I regard Jones as the best ever.

The only guy that I think could give him a super hard fight would be Cain, but that fight would never ever happen as they are best friends. But I still would go with Cormier slightly, as he has much better submissions than Cain, and Cormiers hands are much faster, he has crazy fast hands for a heavy guy, both their wrestling are awesome and high level.

Back