Who are your favorite electronic musicians and such?

Discussion in 'Abbey Road' started by Monte Moku, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Monte Moku

Monte Moku Kame-sen'nin

Hello, I am curious what sort of electronic music you guys like. Feel free to post anything from David Bowie to Kraftwerk to Aphex Twin to Skrillex to Thundercat and every sound in between. I'll get things started with some songs and musicians I enjoy. I'm a huge fan of electronic music, so I'll be listening a lot!

Anyway, here is some cool stuff:

First, some electronic infused Jazz. I've been getting into the London scene recently and god damn England is producing some fine musicians. The duo here is called Yussef Kamaal and the song is Strings of Light, off of their album Black Focus.

Next, a bit of a mix of folky music with electronic stuff. This is a song by a trio called Beats Antique from Oakland. Their production style reminds a bit of when Dubstep was in its adolescence in the mid-2000s, but they make it work really well and blend it seamlessly with traditional instruments. Your first time hearing it, you may not be able to discern the electronic elements, but if you listen closely you can hear that the drums are quantized, there are various basses and atmospheric synth elements being used, the vocals are pretty compressed and so on. Here is their song Three Sisters from their album Shadowbox:

Getting a bit closer to the completely electronic world, this next one is a very interesting sort of Dark Ambient album by an artist originally from Chicago named Deru. I've been a fan of his for years and this album was a hell of a good time to listen to while playing Dark Souls. From my understanding, he uses a combination of synthesizers, piano, Wurlitzer organs and more. Here is his song Torn In Two from his album of the same name:

Moving on, this song is from an artist whose music I have been sinking my teeth into over the last month or two - Grand Inc. He has this awesome sample-heavy-yet-heavily-manipulated-sample, very drums/rhythm-focused style that's like honey to my ears. I am generally weary of "IDM" because of its name and the nature of the music usually being a bit too glitchy for my tastes, but this guy has a fresh take on the sound, and adds his own flair of mind blowing percussion work; something I have been hearing a bit more from producers coming out of Germany, but especially the scene where he is from - Leipzig's (feel free to explore the music of Persian Empire as well if you enjoy this). Here is his single It's A Small Amount:

And lastly, one of my favorite musicians around at the moment and a fellow producer who I idolize, Tsuruda. I understand his music may not be up everyone's alley here, but his ability to utilize complex sound design, broken rhythms, creative song composition and insane sample manipulation all in one package is something I have never come across in my years of obsessing over this music. I truly believe he will be remembered as a pioneer of the current underground scene in bass music. He completely changed the sound of the west coast, starting in his hometown of Salt Lake City and now stretching to LA. Anyone from the big Team Supreme guys like Djemba Djemba and Mr. Carmack all the way to DJ Shadow are having to tip their hat at this man's level and how much he is changing the way people are approaching heavy electronic bass music. You can probably tell that I am a big fan haha. Anyway, here is a song called TFW you stand on the dj table [the final chapter] from his latest album internet slaps vol.2:

I hope you all enjoy the music I have posted here and I am excited to hear what sort of stuff you guys will share. Thank you for reading/listening and have a nice day :D

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Hyperglide, OneManOrgy and Zer like this.
  2. Zer

Zer Gold Belt

I guess the GOAT for me has to be Burial. The first time I heard Burial it changed me bro.

I'm a big fan of Synthwave as well. Lazerhawk, Miami Nights 1984 and Trevor Something are major acts for me. But Com Truise was the dude that got me balls deep into that genre

Phantom's Revenge was massive for me too and got me into French House in a big way

Roald Velden is a guy I go to a lot as well

Aphex Twin was the first though. I was crazy about his shit for years

3. Headkicktoleg

Headkicktoleg Steel Belt

4. OneManOrgy

OneManOrgy Blue Belt

5. Graves

Graves ******WTF Belt****** Platinum Member

really into trance, hyno dance
    Armin Van Buren

and dubstep

Monte Moku and Zer like this.
  6. Thundarr

Thundarr Black Belt

Hyperglide likes this.
  7. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

Thanks for posting this, I can't say I'm much into purely electronic music, but I'll be checking the stuff posted. I feel like I could get into some of this stuff.

Anyways, I really liked the Beats Antique - tune, probably cuz I already really enjoy the mix of, hmm, eastern folkish stuff mixed with electronic elements. By listening the first time it somewhat reminded me of Theodor Bastard, a band that I've been enjoying over the years. They don't fit into this topic as such, but still:

Monte Moku likes this.
  8. Winter-John

Winter-John Purple Belt

Moodymann is my all time favorite. He came out the Detroit scene in the early 90s and is still going strong. I think I got mostly everything he's put out.

Every house/techno fan knows Andrew Weatherall. The man is a legend.

And of course Richie Hawtin/Plastikman. The only other producer in the same league as Aphex Twin and Weatherall.

Monte Moku likes this.
  9. Headkicktoleg

Headkicktoleg Steel Belt

10. Monte Moku

Monte Moku Kame-sen'nin

Really feeling these, I've listened to a bit of Burial before but haven't really dug deep; I'm going to look more into his stuff! He kinda reminds me of Manu Shrine a bit, or I guess it is more likely that he took influence from Burial haha.

And I really love the other stuff you sent, especially Phantom's Revenge. That really took me back to when I was getting into electronic music and my childhood best friend and I would jam to Modjo and Justice records. Almost got choked up a bit from the nostalgia.

Daft Punk is classic, have never had a bad time with their music. I think I am pretty behind on a lot of the "older" artists, I've heard of LCD Soundsystem countless times but this is really good! Kind of gave me M83 vibes a little bit, but definitely a different feeling going on. I'll have to look into their music more!

Always happy to hear DJ Shadow! I've always felt like he brought over a lot of what guys like Madlib and Nujabes were doing with sample based music to the world of dance music and electronica -- Jazz influenced song structure, more focus on splicing but making the songs sound "whole" rather than the glitchy drum and bass/jungle that was prevalent at the time.

Oh man, I remember watching an interview with Armin van Buuren and he was talking about how he had people from Sennheiser come into his studio and build a sound system that was perfectly tailored to the room. He really takes his mixing seriously and it shows in how clean and crisp his songs are.

As far as the Dubstep goes, I think we have conflicting ideas on the genre. I really enjoy both of those songs, especially Ghosts n Stuff (shit changed my world when I heard it for the first time) but I would classify it more with Electro or Electro House. Dubstep, as far as I know at l know it, would usually be this or this, depending on what era of Dubstep is being discussed. Thank you so much for sending those, it brought me back to this song and I haven't been able to find it for years!

Haven't heard of Gary Numan before, I know a friend of mine who loves this stuff and he will really appreciate this. Thank you!

I really like that band, thank you! Their blending of classical instruments with a neofolk sound is really interesting, I'm going to dig into their catalog a bit pretty soon now! I have a lot of music to listen to after catching up on this thread haha. There is a band I discovered recently, the Warsaw Village Band. If you haven't already heard of them, I think they may be up your alley.

Absolutely loved these! I'm a bit unfamiliar with the older scene, but I'm consistently pleasantly surprised by the stuff I hear. I'm really going to look into Weatherall and Plastikman, but especially Moodymann. In the past I have only been able to find stuff like that with The Bunker and Hypnus Records, but I never really looked much into Detroit's scene. Seriously thank you, this is a whole can of worms for me to get into now haha.

I remember I was in middle school when this was released, first heard it on the school bus and that melody was so goddamn catchy I couldn't get it out of my head for weeks. Thanks for posting it, now I get to go through that all over again :p

11. esum80

esum80 แทงเข่าขวา

orbital were good, i also enjoyed the occasional chemical brothers track

but i'd say that daft punk, cassius, justice are among the top for me.
    hell, i'll even throw in giorgio moroder up there.

was a bit into the kmfdm/front 242/skinny puppy/ministry stuff for a while too

Hyperglide likes this.
  12. OneManOrgy

OneManOrgy Blue Belt

Ulver was an extremely raw black metal band in the early 90s, in fact I believe they recorded an album in the forest. They moved on the other genres, and touched upon electronic, what followed was one of the best albums I've ever heard.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  13. bigkick

bigkick Brown Belt

The Octopus Project don't get enough love. One Ten Hundred Thousand Million and Hello, Avalanche are amazing albums. Plus, they use a Theremin in some of their songs. Who does that!?

14. ObsoleteSoul

ObsoleteSoul Silver Belt

Managing at the "No Hassle Nipple Tassel Castle"
    Been feeling a lot of downtempo/chillout/triphop for the last year or so. Bonobo is my man. Emancipator and Tor, amongst others.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Hyperglide likes this.
  15. Brodels

Brodels Low IQ Trump & Kavanaugh Supporter

@Monte Moku Beats Antique is really good. I met them walking around Hangout Festival in 2011.

My favs are:

Big Gigantic
    Griz
    Opiou
    Bassnectar
    Pretty Lights
    MartyParty
    PantyRaid
    An-ten-nae
    Black Tiger Sex Machine
    Mimosa
    Emancipator
    UZ

I like the dark acid crunk drum and bass stuff mostly.

I love electronica type bands like Conspirator and Future Rock.

16. Satanical Eve

Satanical Eve Cro Cop's Left Leg Platinum Member

Both The Prodigy and Aphex Twin are my two favorite electronic artists I have ever heard. Below are other artists I listen to as well

Air
    Autechre
    Boards Of Canada
    The KLF
    The Orb
    Global Communication
    Biosphere
    Kraftwerk
    Skinny Puppy
    Ministry
    Front Line Assembly
    Front 242
    KMFDM
    The Chemical Brothers
    The Crystal Method
    Trentemøller
    Solar Fields
    Steve Roach
    Robert Rich
    Lustmord
    Sun Electric
    Braincell
    Hallucinogen
    Shpongle
    1200 Micograms
    Growling Mad Scientist
    X-Dream
    Carbon Based Life Forms
    Entheogenic
    Vibrasphere

I listen to a lot of other groups as well. I mainly listen to IDM, Ambient, Psybient/Chillout and old school 90's breakbeat/big beat hardcore

Hyperglide and Simian Raticus like this.
  17. IIIIIIII

IIIIIIII Titanium Belt

for me, the top three are probably boards of canada, photek, and aphex twin.

HUGE runner-up to biosphere. his (geir jenssen) album microgravity, right here: , is one of the most underrated electronic albums ever.

but man, it's hard to beat those first three i mentioned.

Hyperglide likes this.
  18. AgentSmecker

AgentSmecker Brown Belt

Just a speck of sand in an endless desert of agony
    Love me some Jon Hopkins

Pantha Du Prince is quality too

Hyperglide likes this.
  19. Hyperglide

Hyperglide Enrolled at Synth-a-holics Anonymous

Com Truise, Perturbator and Power Glove are on a completely other level. Been a huge fan of GUNSHIP lately too.

20. Hyperglide

Hyperglide Enrolled at Synth-a-holics Anonymous

Always wondered where that sample came from in wheres your head at.

Thundarr likes this.