Who Are Your Fav Backpack Rappers

I've never heard of deathrap either. Is that dudes like Ghostemane as well? I dig Ghostemane but his shit is dark af.

First heard him in a crossover with HEALTH.

Necro is self proclaimed deathrap. Ghostemane and Ramirez and Suicide Boyz are heavily influenced by early 3-6 mafia

Sean Price
Gza
Big L
Hieroglyphics crew
Tyron Woodley

Death rap wasn’t a thing back then. I hate the hipsterization of hip hop and rap.

Never heard of death rap, the genre is called horrorcore. Brotha Lynch Hung, Gravediggaz, etc. It's certainly not backpack rap. Most people in this thread don't appear to know what backrap rap is.

Never heard of death rap, the genre is called horrorcore. Brotha Lynch Hung, Gravediggaz, etc. It's certainly not backpack rap. Most people in this thread don't appear to know what backrap rap is.
Never heard of that either. It was called underground rap. “Backpack” a made up term by weirdo magazine writers was hiero, non phixion, and whatever they didn’t consider “black enough”.

Bushwick Bill was doing that deathrap shit aka horrorcore, way back
R.i.p.

Illogic
Del
The Pharcyde
Souls of Mischief
Tonedeff
Blackstar
Qwel
Extended F@mm
C-Rayz Walz
Cannibal Ox

Oddisee spits fire and is a wordsmith. It's a joke that guys like this aren't as big.

This is the first time I've heard this too.... And used to listen to a lot of rap in the 90s

The term backpacker derivatives from young rap fans who would carry records by lesser-known hip-hop acts in their backpack. The music's roots come from Afrocentric and conscience rap. The work of the Native Tongues and Public Enemy in the mid-80s influenced young artists to form a movement 10 years later

Urban Dictionary said:
TOP DEFINITION
Backpack Rapper
backpack rapper-
Person who dislikes Mainstream and Commercial rap a lot.
Person who raps about real life shit that matters and has experienced, rarely about pimping hoes/having millions/selling immense ammounts of drugs/murdering random people for no apparent reason or motive.Person who is true to himself while rapping and uses his head and heart to write not only a pen and meaningless words.

Bsically, a backpacker is a cat that spends most of his/her time traveling through public transit. theyre a huge fan of music but mostly on a lyrically tip because they have a greater grasp and focus on lyrics that kills time while their traveling on the bus, subway, etc. they dont have the money to be rolling in luxury cars, etc. so when you come across a backpacker, theyre usually more of a lyrical cat because all they have is a walkman and a grip of cd's in their backpacks. with a walkman, youre usually more focused on words rathers than beats and hooks. thats why most backpackers are considered more into the underground hiphop scene where artist's are more about lyrics. you usually find backpackers in inner cities because public transit is cheap, and to get from point a to point b isnt that far of a route.

Last edited:
Freddie Gibbs is starting to become one of my fav.

He KILLS this ish.

El-P. Cannibal Ox is still one of the best produced rap albums of all time and I'll Sleep When You're Dead is an underground classic. RTJ2 and RTJ3 are classic records. He's one of the most underrated rapper/producers of all time.

Also, here's an old as shit video series he was on that they don't make anymore, that I love and his episode was money.

Back