Who are these mythical "street fighters" who can supposedly defeat all martial arts?

This is what I've learned about street fighting...

• He who hits first, the most, the hardest - wins.
  • Street fights are never one-on-one. It's usually two or more versus one.
  • The system doesn't make the fighter; the fighter makes the system.

You'd take Kimbo over a lightweight BJ Penn?? Kimbo was the most overhyped, overrated guy ever in pro MMA. You see the video of the cop in grappling class that beat him, and they protested because he was using a guillotine to win instead of just throwing punches haha?

An "MMA fighter" has roots in some form of fighting, some art. Machida is a karate guy. He KO'd a lot of UFC fighters. He'd KO Abbott, Kimbo with ease.

Bj is a pro fighter not JUST a bjj a bjj Back Belt... That cop was a huge mother fucker, if you think size doesn't matter you are living in la la land...

Yeah, but his opponent was an off duty cop training martial arts recreationally, and the guy went toe to toe with Kimbo. Kimbo has absolutely no grappling game, and his striking is only great against untrained guys.

And he's the most legendary "street fighter" of the decade. That's my point. The average "street fighter" is very unskilled, and probably out of shape. So why do so many people say certain techniques or arts wont work "in the street". 99% of "street fighters" are unskilled drunk slobs.

He's only a streetfighter in the sense that he fought on the street, which isn't the definition used in the OP. He had quite a bit of boxing training under his belt when his videos started showing up online.

He's kind of like Mark Hunt, except that Mark Hunt became exceptional and Kimbo didn't.

Yet, people assume that "in the street", these untrained, vastly lesser skilled fighters of the street will somehow all of a sudden become such better fighters than those who are training in the very martial arts that are a feeder system to UFC and pro MMA???

Some people are better equipped to simply be in a fight than others. I've experienced this as a bouncer. I understand exactly what is being said when they talk about dangerous streetfighters. There are people out there who are big, tough, strong and can scrap in the blink of an eye. From Shane Corson knocking out Gary Goodrich to Lee Murray dusting the most dangerous LHW in the world at the time to a farmer kicking Mark Coleman's ass at university, sometimes even really skilled guys get smashed.

as an adult I fought a lot in stores over an insult. I never showed emotion or telegraph my strike

This is why I only insult people at the self-help section of book stores, because the people with real emotional problems are never trying to get help for it.

This is why I only insult people at the self-help section of book stores, because the people with real emotional problems are never trying to get help for it.

You may want to think twice about that......
dr8iv6.jpg

Does anybody know if kali or some of the other weapons based arts are any good? Most street fights involve weapons

It's that old definition game...what's a street fight. Most people here seems to think it's a bare hands confrontation where one person challenges another to a fight. Why does that matter so much to people? You're thinking more of a mugging or mob attack or rape, yeah in that case it's likely to be a weapon.

Kali can teach you to use an ASP baton effectively. The ASP has stopping power and reach, this is covered by single stick techniques. Still, it's the bread and butter stuff, I work basic counters and strikes on a heavy bag and spend most of my time practicing BJJ and MT.

Kali is it's not popular enough in the US to get the training time and it is mostly drills without sparring. However, the stick/baton is one weapon you don't need to be that skilled to be very effective.

A basic strategy would be to hit the hand causing him to drop the weapon, and come back from the opposite side with a strike to the neck.

I'd avoid the knife techniques, the prison style bum rush have the edge there. Knife on knife is very dangerous and lots of good people fail at that.

Last edited:
Not to sound like a bigger dbag then I already am, but it seems to me you must have no idea what its like to live in a rough neighborhood

+1 on that.
F12 is the last place I want or expect to see a "street fight" thread, unless it is specific to grappling.

That said, I come from a town and high school that was pretty rough. You get tough, mean kids, a lot of whom played football, got in a lot of fights, have something to prove, and have no scruples, and you have the ingredients to produce some real live street fighters that are legitimately very dangerous.

Here is the main difference between these guys and the guy from the dojo. They are usually poor, and they want to fucking hurt you. They really want it. A lot of guys in a bjj academy are pretty nice, educated guys. Now, if they turn on that meanness, they would wipe the floor with the street guy. But unless you're just born mean, it's something that develops over years of a tough life. These guys had better watch their ass in a situation with a bad-ass. It is easier and quicker to get your ass beat down than most people realize.

Brain bar-- no offense meant, but I think you must come from a fairly good background, upper middle class. Am I correct? Honestly, I think that is better. I'm not trying to glorify this stuff by any means, but there is a whole world out there of legitimately tough dudes that have not trained, but are still not to be fucked with, because they have a willingness to go.

Through experience (getting my butt kicked) I found it's easier to hit the guy first and worry about his intentions later.

as an adult I fought a lot in stores over an insult.

:eek:

we got one tough customer here. Seriously, where do you shop (Home Depot?) and what insults can be hurled over there and over what?

we got one tough customer here. Seriously, where do you shop (Home Depot?) and what insults can be hurled over there and over what?

lol, he sounds mean, eh? Even in bad neighborhoods most guys cool off the fighting by the age of 20 or so.

lol, he sounds mean, eh? Even in bad neighborhoods most guys cool off the fighting by the age of 20 or so.

Agreed, those that dont end up in prison or dead.

An example would be asking me what time it is or if a gas pump is working and I hesitate so they get hostile and move into my space. "I SAID WHAT TIME IS IT?"

BOOM.

Not really insults but it's something like arguments starting over something like not leaving me space on the checkout belt and they start threatening me.

Some of this is racial issues because I'm the only person of a certain type in the vicinity.

Some people just don't know when to quit or shut up.

Strongly disagree. The Asian countries used that "specialized training" in warfare for centuries. Its what martial ("war") arts are, based in past military training. Its almost never the technique or style that fails, its the person using it.

Prior to 1993, when UFC 1 opened the eyes of the willing to the fact that what most people thought they knew about MA and fighting was bullshit, the predominant Asian MA instruction available in the US was Japanese karate and its Korean offshoots. These arts were not centuries old, despite dojo legend BS (Japanese karate dates back to 1922, Korean clones of it to the 1940's when the Japanese occupied Korea). Nor were these arts ever really used in "warfare". Even most of today's popular kung fu styles, while are a little older than karate, date back to the the late 1800's. 5000 year old styles battle tested through the centuries are up there with the dim mak and no touch chi knockouts on the nonsense scale.

But, does a year or so of grappling training make that average US Army soldier a better fighter when he squares off with a Taliban terrorist in a living room of a dirt hut in Iraq? If both don't have their weapons on them, or, if they are trying to fight for a better position to get to their weapons?
I dunno if you've ever actually trained in grappling, but generally, a fit athletic guy coming into a gym with no experience except for drunk wrestling with his mates can beat a lot of people who have trained for a year. Some people get super depressed when this happens, but if anyone has any basic knowledge about how the body works, is fit from another sport and generally has common sense, they can beat a lot of people who are trained.
Spazzing out as much as people say to not do it, actually wins a lot of street fights. I'm willing to bet that Taliban terrorist is a crazy ass mofo who is off the wall.

Also, if either of them used common sense they wouldn't started grappling like retards in a warzone.

Back