Who are these mythical "street fighters" who can supposedly defeat all martial arts?

once they started facing pro HW MMA fighters, not karate do XXXX or TKD XXX or kunfu... fuck kimbo would eat for lunch most guys that are not fighting pro... or grapplers, Kimbo vs lw bjj black belt? hmmmmm

You'd take Kimbo over a lightweight BJ Penn?? Kimbo was the most overhyped, overrated guy ever in pro MMA. You see the video of the cop in grappling class that beat him, and they protested because he was using a guillotine to win instead of just throwing punches haha?

An "MMA fighter" has roots in some form of fighting, some art. Machida is a karate guy. He KO'd a lot of UFC fighters. He'd KO Abbott, Kimbo with ease.

Because until recently most of that "specialized training" was bullsit!?

Lol you think there were street fighters that would have beat up jack dempsey or kimura? You're a clown. TMA (tkd, kung fu, etc) are a joke and probably always have been to people exposed to western boxing and wrestling, but there has always been effective training out there. They had boxing and pankration tournaments in ancient Greece ffs.

You'd take Kimbo over a lightweight BJ Penn?? Kimbo wfightingost overhyped, overrated guy ever in pro MMA. You see the video of the cop in grappling class that beat him, and they protested because he was using a guillotine to win instead of just throwing punches haha?

An "MMA fighter" has roots in some form of fighting, some art. Machida is a karate guy. He KO'd a lot of UFC fighters. He'd KO Abbott, Kimbo with ease.

He never said he'd take kimbo over bj. He said kimbo would beat most guys not fighting pro and are not grapplers. Last I checked bj is a pro fighter and an accomplished grappler.

Your reading comprehension blows.

Lol you think there were street fighters that would have beat up jack dempsey or kimura? You're a clown. TMA (tkd, kung fu, etc) are a joke and probably always have been to people exposed to western boxing and wrestling, but there has always been effective training out there. They had boxing and pankration tournaments in ancient Greece ffs.

Good points. And I do think some TMA's get watered down with such large numbers training them. You get a guy with a store-bought black belt in some art that, in its roots, was great...but turned into a business.

Boxing and wrestling are very solid, basic fighting skills, and with strength and conditioning, are very effective. But, people forget, THOSE are martial arts. They aren't Asian, or wear gis, but they are arts made for combat.

How much would you pay to see a Bruce Lee vs Mike Tyson MMA fight!!!!

Marc MacYoung would be a good place to start.

He never said he'd take kimbo over bj. He said kimbo would beat most guys not fighting pro and are not grapplers. Last I checked bj is a pro fighter and an accomplished grappler.

Your reading comprehension blows.

I think he said Kimbo would beat a LW bjj black belt. BJ Penn is a LW bjj black belt. He is, and became, a successful pro fighter because of his bjj black belt.

Personally, I don't think Kimbo would beat 99% of legit BJJ blackbelts, of any weight, especially when he first got into MMA. His ground work was horrible, non-existent, AND he had a weak chin. He truly never belonged in pro MMA, and it was a joke that he even got a shot at that level.

Kimbo probably wouldn't beat 99% of the guys in the NCAA D1 HW wrestling tournament.

Kimbo vs Lesnar wouldn't make it past the first 2 minutes before Lesnar would crush Kimbos beard into his spine.

Rex-Kwon-Do.jpg

Kimura got beat up by a pro wrestler.

You are mistaking getting beat with getting FAIRLY beat.

The problem with street altercations is that they are never fair, and no, frat boys fighting dont count as street fight.

Um, maybe the guys who robbed Shogun at gun point?

Street fighting is no rules, and according to cops I train with, weapons and numbers are a common and typically deciding factor in street fights. Granted by the time cops get called in its a serious fight, but presumably we're talking about serious street fighters here.

Charles "crazy horse" bennett. Now he was one crazy mofo.

Hes a tough dude. But, I cant help but notice...his MMA record is 26-28...and he gets submitted A LOT. Most of his losses are submission losses.

So, in a "street fight", vs a BJJ black belt, I'd think he would be at a disadvantage.

He can throw some punches though, that's for sure!

Um, maybe the guys who robbed Shogun at gun point?

Street fighting is no rules, and according to cops I train with, weapons and numbers are a common and typically deciding factor in street fights. Granted by the time cops get called in its a serious fight, but presumably we're talking about serious street fighters here.

Well, yeah, with guns present...jiujitsu and boxing kinda go out the window. I bet if a SEAL Team 6 guy is walking out of the gym, unarmed, and is approached by 3 thugs with pistols...the SEAL probably loses that fight.

Numbers and weapons certainly make a difference. That's true for a ghetto street fight.........or a full scale, nation-scale ground war. More people and more weapons usually means victory. Im referring more to the mythical lone, unarmed street fighter who, somehow, defeats all the techniques of martial arts just be virtue of him "being from tha street yo!!!"

You'd take Kimbo over a lightweight BJ Penn?? Kimbo was the most overhyped, overrated guy ever in pro MMA. You see the video of the cop in grappling class that beat him, and they protested because he was using a guillotine to win instead of just throwing punches haha?

That wasn't a grappling class. It was a set up fight and they were contesting the guillotine because the rules were "no ground fighting, no subs". But nothing was mentioned about standing subs. It was supposed to be a bare knuckle boxing match that got out of hand.

That wasn't a grappling class. It was a set up fight and they were contesting the guillotine because the rules were "no ground fighting, no subs". But nothing was mentioned about standing subs. It was supposed to be a bare knuckle boxing match that got out of hand.

Yeah, but his opponent was an off duty cop training martial arts recreationally, and the guy went toe to toe with Kimbo. Kimbo has absolutely no grappling game, and his striking is only great against untrained guys.

And he's the most legendary "street fighter" of the decade. That's my point. The average "street fighter" is very unskilled, and probably out of shape. So why do so many people say certain techniques or arts wont work "in the street". 99% of "street fighters" are unskilled drunk slobs.

Lol you think there were street fighters that would have beat up jack dempsey or kimura? You're a clown.

Didn't know we were talking about two of the all time best in there art form and an art form that they actually competed in. Kinda thought we were talking about you're average Street tough vs your average BB.

My bad. You're right, two of the best in history at using there martial art to beat people up would indeed beat up all street fighters.

So you're making up your own definition based on your initial post, got it.

No. But slang terms of martial artist vs "street fighter", the street fighter is typically seen as a guy who has no formal martial arts training. Like Kimbo.

Like when people say something like "Oh, triangles wont work in the street". Well, vs who? A typical street fighter will be put to sleep. But....a high level grappler or wrestler..who happens to be the opponent in a fight taking place "in the street" is different.

Strongly disagree. The Asian countries used that "specialized training" in warfare for centuries. Its what martial ("war") arts are, based in past military training. Its almost never the technique or style that fails, its the person using it.

Kinda like putting an idiot in the pilot seat of an F-16, and blaming the jet for not winning in combat.

Who says any of them were any good? This is the logical fallacy at work.

The samurai used JJJ to disarm sword and grapple on the battlefield so it must be good... I'm willing to be a lot of them died using those techniques. It was more of a "I lost my sword shit I hope this works...oops it didn't" kind of thing. Soldiers die, it's not a big deal and nobody ever said they lived to tell about it. Not to mention that the only people they ever fought were each other or some other asians.

Most of them only work on other little asian guys who agree to fight that way, Bruce Lee was the first to admit that.

Battlefields use weapons, so no bare hand MA was ever used on the battlefield, well not successfuly at any rate.

Last edited:
Didn't know we were talking about two of the all time best in there art form and an art form that they actually competed in. Kinda thought we were talking about you're average Street tough vs your average BB.

My bad. You're right, two of the best in history at using there martial art to beat people up would indeed beat up all street fighters.

You are right, my OP was the average untrained "street fighter" vs an average jiujitsu or karate or (insert art) black belt. Not UFC caliber, but legitimate black belt in their art.

Back