Who are these mythical "street fighters" who can supposedly defeat all martial arts?

BrainBar

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I have seen this and heard this for a long time, especially regarding any martial art other than "MMA".......but who are these mythical "street fighters" roaming around our cities, encountering traditional martial artists and sport jiu-jitsu guys and defeating their arts and showing the world how ineffective they are?

"That wont work in the street".
"A street fighter would just punch you".
"A street fighter doesnt' have your rules".

WHO are these mythical fighting phenoms wiping the pavement with BJJ black belts and karate experts?

Because in my experience, most people getting into street fights are:
A) Drunk rednecks who have never trained
B) Drunk frat boys who THINK they have trained (Xbox Kinect UFC trainer!)
C) Petty criminals who cant control their temper, but are out of shape and have also never trained

I love the videos of cops getting into "street fights" with these mythical fighting legends. Most cops have very little hand-to-hand training compared to a martial artist (its true, they don't do a lot of hands on training). And 99% of the time, the cops handle these "street fighters" fairly easily.

I think sometimes, when people say "That wouldn't work in the street", well, yeah, if they fought a combat Navy SEAL in the street, or fought Tito Ortiz at a bar, then yeah, maybe a TMA or sport jiujitsu move may fail.

But 99% of the time...the "street fighter" is some drunk untrained redneck who is out of shape. So...the technique probably will work, and the basic white belt level techniques are probably all you'll need most times haha.

Well to be fair there are some tough mother fuckers outhere, and size plays a huge factor, add craziness to the mix, you got yourself a pretty dangerous person

They're non existent strawmen to create arguments and strife out of nothing, and dismiss trained fighters. Most street fights are unskilled idiots throwing wildly and generally the stronger guy wins, or the first one to land a lucky punch.

Well to be fair there are some tough mother fuckers outhere, and size plays a huge factor, add craziness to the mix, you got yourself a pretty dangerous person

Yeah, but doesn't mean they can fight. Dangerous, yes, as in they will try to hurt you. But doesn't mean they'll be good at it.

Tank Abbott comes to mind. Mean, tough, strong MF'er who wont hesitate to punch someone. Hes kinda the worst case scenario guy in the "street". Him and Kimbo.

But, once both started facing guys with a lot of martial arts training and skill, both got exposed as being....just big, strong, mean, tough guys who cant really fight that good.

Tank Abbott comes to mind

11mb4as.jpg

It's insane. I don't understand why fighting is one of the few areas where people are willing to so easily dismiss years of specialized training.

It's insane. I don't understand why fighting is one of the few areas where people are willing to so easily dismiss years of specialized training.

I think its ego. There are people who see martial arts, and they don't want to spend the time to train, and dismiss it as ineffective because their ego wants to believe their street fighting would be better. Fighting is the ultimate ego tester. So, those drunk rednecks who get into street fights just refuse to believe some 150 pound guy could kick their asses.

Because until recently most of that "specialized training" was bullshit!?

Strongly disagree. The Asian countries used that "specialized training" in warfare for centuries. Its what martial ("war") arts are, based in past military training. Its almost never the technique or style that fails, its the person using it.

Kinda like putting an idiot in the pilot seat of an F-16, and blaming the jet for not winning in combat.

Strongly disagree. The Asian countries used that "specialized training" in warfare for centuries. Its what martial ("war") arts are, based in past military training. Its almost never the technique or style that fails, its the person using it.

Kinda like putting an idiot in the pilot seat of an F-16, and blaming the jet for not winning in combat.

Most of those arts for many years have been untested, ie forms, Kata's, what ifs, etc.

Yeah, but doesn't mean they can fight. Dangerous, yes, as in they will try to hurt you. But doesn't mean they'll be good at it.

Tank Abbott comes to mind. Mean, tough, strong MF'er who wont hesitate to punch someone. Hes kinda the worst case scenario guy in the "street". Him and Kimbo.

But, once both started facing guys with a lot of martial arts training and skill, both got exposed as being....just big, strong, mean, tough guys who cant really fight that good.

You mean once they started fighting trained individuals in a cage with a set time limit and on strict 1v1? sure, they were beaten by better MAs.

The point is that street fights are so unpredictable and most of the times easily avoidable to even bother on them and fantastic fight scenarios unless you are a bouncer or a cop, and even then, in those professions engaging into hand to hand combat is not optimal.

once they started facing pro HW MMA fighters, not karate do XXXX or TKD XXX or kunfu... fuck kimbo would eat for lunch most guys that are not fighting pro... or grapplers, Kimbo vs lw bjj black belt? hmmmmm

Wiz Cool C would destroy all in the streets.

I implore all to search his thread history, dude is bad ass.

I have seen this and heard this for a long time, especially regarding any martial art other than "MMA".......but who are these mythical "street fighters" roaming around our cities, encountering traditional martial artists and sport jiu-jitsu guys and defeating their arts and showing the world how ineffective they are?

"That wont work in the street".
"A street fighter would just punch you".
"A street fighter doesnt' have your rules".

WHO are these mythical fighting phenoms wiping the pavement with BJJ black belts and karate experts?

Because in my experience, most people getting into street fights are:
A) Drunk rednecks who have never trained
B) Drunk frat boys who THINK they have trained (Xbox Kinect UFC trainer!)
C) Petty criminals who cant control their temper, but are out of shape and have also never trained

I love the videos of cops getting into "street fights" with these mythical fighting legends. Most cops have very little hand-to-hand training compared to a martial artist (its true, they don't do a lot of hands on training). And 99% of the time, the cops handle these "street fighters" fairly easily.

I think sometimes, when people say "That wouldn't work in the street", well, yeah, if they fought a combat Navy SEAL in the street, or fought Tito Ortiz at a bar, then yeah, maybe a TMA or sport jiujitsu move may fail.

But 99% of the time...the "street fighter" is some drunk untrained redneck who is out of shape. So...the technique probably will work, and the basic white belt level techniques are probably all you'll need most times haha.

Not to sound like a bigger dbag then I already am, but it seems to me you must have no idea what its like to live in a rough neighborhood

Most of those arts for many years have been untested, ie forms, Kata's, what ifs, etc.

The artist is untested; Not the art. I never did karate, but, I assume the kata is just a way to practice flowing, just like in jiu-jitsu people try to flow and sometimes do mobility drills that don't look like how they'll use it in a fight.

I know there is stuff like Tai Chi, but that's not what I'm referring to.

Some people do fitness oriented Krav Maga classes, but never hit each other. If those folks get into a fight, and lose, would one say Krav Maga doesn't work? Nope. Krav Maga is tested and effective. The user is who failed, not the art.

once they started facing pro HW MMA fighters, not karate do XXXX or TKD XXX or kunfu... fuck kimbo would eat for lunch most guys that are not fighting pro... or grapplers, Kimbo vs lw bjj black belt? hmmmmm

Kimbo would knock most people silly if he just sucker punched folks and even untrained folk will beat most people if they come with a blunt object from a blind spot.

2 Bellator fighters almost got killed by like 4 untrained scrawny guys, they were so confident that they missed one of them coming from behind with a wooden board, knocked one silly and them they ganged on the remaining one who ran.

It seems that no martial art teaches the simple common sense rule of dont be a fucking dick and always try to calm shit down.

Back