Who are the russians rooting for?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Khabib is supposedly Russian but from Dagestan, which I believe has a deep history with Russia, and I was under the inpression Russia is kinda racist and if you look around, Conor is the one whos getting invited by Putin, not the other way around

So Russians, who are you guys pulling for

Russia has like hundreds of different ethnicities. But Majority Slavs would be indifferent towards this fight(Though many are rooting for Conor) , they only support Dagestani athletes in tournaments like Olympics etc not UFC. Khabib has tremendous support among Muslims thats about it.

Even a half of a Dagestan will be rooting for Conor.

Khabib is supposedly Russian but from Dagestan, which I believe has a deep history with Russia, and I was under the inpression Russia is kinda racist and if you look around, Conor is the one whos getting invited by Putin, not the other way around

So Russians, who are you guys pulling for

Russians think Conor is petuh.

And there is jokes that Khabib is gay and Tukhugov is his boyfriend. There is even photoshopped pictures from Khabib's wedding with Tukhugov as his wife. And I've seen comments that even on social media people from Dagestan jokes about Khabib-Tukhugov relationship.

Judging by the russian segment of the internet presumably 80-85% of ethnic russians are rooting for Conor. Khabib is probably the most hated person in the world of russian MMA due to the mutual disaffection and bad blood between ethnic slavic russians and people from muslim regions. It's like...there are not too many Jon Jones fans on this forum but Khabib is treated 4 times worse by his own fellow citizens and he has tons of agressive haters.

Personally I've been rooting for him since his first UFC fight in 2012. But guys like me are in the minority. He has a huge fanbase amongst Dagestanis though and other people from Caucasus region, they always have his back.

In general, Slavic Russians aren't quick to root for people from the Caucasus. Major generalization btw. They seem to prefer Conor more because he is a chav. No offense.

Russians love Conor. Shame the event wan't in Russia as it would have been hilarious to see the majority cheer for Conor in Khabib's own backyard.

Khabib is HUUGGEEE in Russia, 1 million ppv buys just from Russia.

bwahahaha that one was good.
Actually, Conor is pretty popular here so some people (mostly casuals) will root for him.
Khabib is very popular among people from Caucasus republics, but also has a following among Russians, especially among Sambo practicioners. More people will root for him.

Judging by the russian segment of the internet presumably 80-85% of ethnic russians are rooting for Conor. Khabib is probably the most hated person in the world of russian MMA due to the mutual disaffection and bad blood between ethnic slavic russians and people from muslim regions. It's like...there are not too many Jon Jones fans on this forum but Khabib is treated 4 times worse by his own fellow citizens and he has tons of agressive haters.

Personally I've been rooting for him since his first UFC fight in 2012. But guys like me are in the minority. He has a huge fanbase amongst Dagestanis though and other people from Caucasus region, they always have his back.
I think Khabib is hated not because he is Avar or from Dagestan but for his style (I think lot of Russian mma watchers is not a fans of wrestling/sambo and stuff), his trash talk (like he when he was shitting on Pettis, on RDA that RDA is paper champ and Khabib is true champ), his connections to criminals and posts on social media in support of his criminal or Islamic terrorist friends, his lies (said that he is not gonna fight in Russia because he fights only at main cards of PPV events, then says that if his father wants, he will fight in Russia (I think he said even for free), then he and his father says that fighting in Russia doesn't make sense because they are gonna lose a lot of PPV money if title defense happens in Moscow), I think he lso said that he is ready to fight McGregor for free and now he says that if UFC want this fight to happen they should pay him same money as to McGregor.
Also I think problem with his social media - when tragedies in Russia happens he mostly ignores them, but when something happens to Muslims in Myanmar, he asks people to go to Myanmar's embassy to protest, also not so long ago I've seen something like he posted something about Budanov's killer who recently died and seems like those who are not from Caucasus didn't take this kindly. If I'm not mistaken in conflict between Kadyrov and Fedor he sided with Kadyrov and people don't like him for that and being not just some guy that close to Kadyrov, but Kadyrov calls him his friend.

Maybe the Russian? Just a thought
Russia is not a nation state but a plurinational confederation. There's tension between many groups and pretty much all of them have a bad history.
In fact calling Khabib russian is already iffy

I don't know but from my occasional stalking of profiles on VK, Conor is mad popular amongst Slavesses

Forgot to add - I think also he received some shit recently when his father said that Khabib's grandfather has multiple wives and youngest daughter of Khabib's grandpa is just a year younger than Khabib and I think he said that multiple wives is normal and they will find a second wife for Khabib when it's his time (or something like that). And seems like for people in Russia Khabib is like redneck/hillbilly for Americans. But I think he also receives some shit for being not patriotic - he says that he repsents Dagestan and stuff but doesn't walkout with Russian flag or bing it in octagon and in interviews he hardly remembers that he is Russian citizen it's his father who mostly mentions that Khabib is from Russia, Russian citizen or before his title fight, his father was saying that Khabib is gonna be first Russian (in terms of citizenship) champ in the UFC.

In general, Slavic Russians aren't quick to root for people from the Caucasus. Major generalization btw. They seem to prefer Conor more because he is a chav. No offense.
Please don’t say offensive things and then follow it up with ‘no offence’. I’m now offended and confused.

Back