Who are the Gatekeepers of present day UFC?

West Linn

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What defines a gatekeeper?

Sherdoggers think too much about matchups without realizing that a gatekeeper will always be a gatekeeper. Stephens for example was never a top tier fighter but he put together a good streak of wins so was favored against Aldo who had lost a few recently. I even bet on him. But elite fighters like Aldo will always beat gatekeepers like Stephens. In thinking too much I convinced myself that Stephens had a chance against Aldo. Of course Aldo was going to win but hindsight is 20/20.

Let's try not to be politically correct and objectively establish who the gatekeepers are of the UFC who will always be gatekeepers.

Is a gatekeeper an elite fighter who can't reach the top? Or someone who has a 50/50 record? Would someone like Yancy Medeiros fit the definition more? Or someone like Cowboy Cerrone who's had a few shots at the title?

It's easier for someone who watches casually to define a gatekeeper without reading all the forum comments than it is for us who are on here all the time. Ask a casual fan if Stephens is a gatekeeper, they will say yes. Ask a sherdogger and he will talk about how he's won his last 3 fights and how Aldo has lost his last two. Basically I think Sherdoggers overthink MMA and matchups where to a casual the choice would be clear.

Bw assuncao
Fw Stephens/Edgar sadly
LW Michael Johnson/Justin gathje
WW Cerrone/wonderboy/maia
MW jacare/branch/machida
LHW Jan/glover/osp
HW everyone's a potential contender lol

Bw assuncao
Fw Stephens/Edgar sadly
LW Michael Johnson/Justin gathje
WW Cerrone/wonderboy/maia
MW jacare/branch/machida
LHW Jan/glover/osp
HW everyone's a potential contender lol
giphy.gif

I always have had an idea that a gatekeeper is someone constantly ranked in the 7-10 range and anyone in the top 5 or so is a contender

To me a gate keeper is someone who never quite gets to the belt but if you beat them you're pretty much guaranteed a title shot.

Jacare I think is the best example of a gate keeper we have in the UFC at the moment.

To me a gate keeper is someone who never quite gets to the belt but if you beat them you're pretty much guaranteed a title shot.

Jacare I think is the best example of a gate keeper we have in the UFC at the moment.
Before Bisping fell ass backwards into a title fight, he was probably the best example.

Before Bisping fell ass backwards into a title fight, he was probably the best example.
Yeah true. Frank Mir is another one too, I know he held the title but I'm meaning later in his career.

Was Faber considered a gatekeeper in his UFC run? He only lost title fights until his last fight and stopped many contenders from getting the belt, just like Fitch, Shields and Okami, but they all got canned, while Faber stuck around.

Was Faber considered a gatekeeper in his UFC run? He only lost title fights until his last fight and stopped many contenders from getting the belt, just like Fitch, Shields and Okami, but they all got canned, while Faber stuck around.

It was an Alpha Fail thing before Cody and TJ did their thing . Faber , Mendes , and Benavidez would clog up their divisions beatimg everyone else while losing and going 0-2 against the champ of their division . ( Faber went 0-2 against both Barao and Cruz indiviually)

It was an Alpha Fail thing before Cody and TJ did their thing . Faber , Mendes , and Benavidez would clog up their divisions beatimg everyone else while losing and going 0-2 against the champ of their division . ( Faber went 0-2 against both Barao and Cruz indiviually)

Amazing how all of them competed against GOAT's of all 3 divisions at the same time. That's some bad luck.

Anyone with an interim belt or that didnt beat the previous champ to get said belt

no, if he were an elite fighter he would reach the top. think of elite fighters as great fighters that are not champs for a minor detail. well not necessarily a MINOR detail but. for example, DC is elite, wasn't the champ at LHW because there was jones there. frankie is elite, but isn't the champ at FW because aldo was there, and now holloway is there. gatekeepers are fighters that are solid but are not good enough to be champs. GOAT gatekeeper was bisping but somehow he got the title. overachiever for sure

Imagine if a gatekeeper fight was a fight just before the cage entrance. You have to defeat the gatekeeper to be able enter the octagon and fight your main opponent.

Just as Cormier is Black Fedor, Yoel is Black Faber: always the bridesmaid never the bride.

Who da fook is that guy is the best example of a gatekeeper of all time. Guida close second.

Back