Who are the 3 best mma wrestlers in history according to you ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
Let's get this thread working like that : you name the 3 best mma wrestlers ever in your opinion + one honorable mention. Here's mine :

1. Khabib
2. GSP
3. Cormier
Honorable mention : Randy Couture

What's yours ?

Same list for me however I’d put chael as number 4.

He had garbage stand up and a suspect chin but his grappling truly was devastating

Damn no love for Matt Hughes in this thread. He did it all with wrestling. His striking sucked. For a period he was the most dominant and successful wrestler in MMA.

My other two picks are GSP and Khabib.

1)Khabib
2)GSP
3)Matt Hughes
Hughes was pretty amazing. Prob is he was dominated by penn and gsp, but yeah Hughes was a serious grappling beast.

Could Josh Barnett make top 10? Huge body of work and what he lacked in takedowns he mostly made up for in top control. i dunno he used to be really damn good

GSP and Khabib have to be at the top of any list. Cormier and Romero were accomplished wrestler pre-MMA but didn't really use wrestling much in their MMA careers, especially Romero. Cormier used it occasionally but mostly was looking fur the KO on the feet. I'd go Couture 3rd.

Jon Jones is the best all around MMA adapted wrestler in the history of the sport. Not only could he negate or out wrestle every opponent, he was a absolute nightmare on top when he got there. He battered and submitted a gang of guys after take downs.

However, since Jon is a proven cheater, the top spot goes to Georges. He was able to out wrestle Koscheck in his prime and had some of the best timing and technique for his era.

I think all the other notables come in pretty far after those two. Cejudo and DJ both in their own right. Khabib does not have a particularly impressive strength of schedule and he took entire years off fighting multiple times. Couldn't take down Tibau. I can't imagine GSP or Jones not dominating their divisional equivalents of Tibau on the mat. Hughes, Sherk, Kos, Randy... there are a lot of OG guys who were solid.

DC and even Weidman in his prime, both notable.

1. GSP
2. Jon Jones
3. Frankie Edgar or DC

Khabib is out of the top 3, since he never fought an elite wrestler to test his skills

Last edited:
Let's get this thread working like that : you name the 3 best mma wrestlers ever in your opinion + one honorable mention. Here's mine :

1. Khabib
2. GSP
3. Cormier

What's yours ?
Is top control wrestling?

Taking people from relatively different eras purely based on MMA takedown ability and not credentials based on Wrestling. The sport has evolved and came so far today that the fighters from the 1990's and 2000's would be considered relics in comparison but it's the fairest way.

1) - GSP, there was an invincibility during his prime where you felt he only had to get a finger on his opponent and they'd be on the floor.
2) - Khabib, takedowns not as explosive nor as perfectly timed as GSP's but it's only a matter of time and then it's almost impossible to get up and probably an overall better grappler than GSP.
3) - Coleman, would pick you up and put you down vertically, not as good as the other two mentioned in my opinion but you just knew, if he got you there, every part of your head was being battered and bruised violently. Realistically, Coleman probably shouldn't take a top 3 spot but early days he was terrifying and is definitely worth a consideration.

1. GSP
2. Jon Jones
3. Frankie Edgar

Khabib is out of the top 3, since he never fought an elite wrestler to test his skills

images

images

Tibau is a good wrestler considering he pressured Khabib, but he was crushed by Tony Prime.

Cormier over jones?
Why? He outgrappled him, outwrestled him, stuffed his Tds, took him down, and out-clinched him.
If cormier didn’t have the boxing disadvantage it would have looked like ridiculously one-sided beating.
Bit Cornier did better vs other competition

Yes i agree that Khabib and GSP are #1 & #2, i think nobody in his right mind will debate that.

The third one is really tricky. I go for Cormier because he made it work at HW while outsized. That's the same reasoning i used to give the honourable mention to Randy.

I am with you on that. I think Cormier and Randy. Jones used his wrestling well, but for the most he was a stand up fighter And Hughes, gottta have him in there.

Khabib
St Pierre
Couture

But don't forget Brock and Punk were also World Champs ... ;)

What's pretty convenient ? Judging fighters on their whole career instead of just their prime ? And how do you define prime exactly and objectively ? You cherry pick just the best portion of their fighting life and forget the rest ? It's obvious who's looking for what's convenient here.

But please you're welcome to have an exit because you can't have a discussion with arguments and facts. Very convenient too.
Why wouldn’t you base it on prime? A fighter like Khabib retired in his prime so of course his entire career won’t include the decline most fighters experience. Guys get old or shopworn or injured it doesn’t make sense to hold that against them.

Nobody judges Ali’s career based on his loss to Spinks once he was old. No one judges Karelin based on his loss to Rulon. This is something weird only MMA fans do. I don’t get it.

According to this thinking Jones would be better if he retired young. See how that makes no sense?

The fact that Jones doesn't have success wrestling any more disqualifies him from the top 3 for me. Whereas cormier has wrestlef***** fighters bigger than him and made his wrestling effective even against them (Barnett, Mir, Black beast etc.). So he takes the third spot for that reason in my book.

No honorable mention for you ?
I picked Jones over Cormier simply because I can’t unsee the image of how one-sided the wrestling was in their first fight. For honorable mention, I’ll go with Demetrious Johnson. Yeah, Cejudo out wrestled him in their second fight, but I always loved how DJ integrated his wrestling into his overall game.

1. Khabib
2. GSP
3. Cormier

What's yours ?
You stole the best answers bruh

Back