Who are the 3 best mma wrestlers in history according to you ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
I was asking for fighters in a whole, during their whole career, not only their prime. With that criteria Jones isn't in the top 3 of best mma wrestlers ever, because as you said his wrestling hasn't shined in years. If we had to extend it to top 10 i'd even put Cejudo, Coleman and even Hugues before him.

And i know the Rory/Tibau decision was bullshit. It still shows that when he's roided he's even giving top class WW a run for their money, imo a cheater like that doesn't count.

Sounds hella convenient, but hey whatever helps you sleep at night.

Sounds hella convenient, but hey whatever helps you sleep at night.

What's pretty convenient ? Judging fighters on their whole career instead of just their prime ? And how do you define prime exactly and objectively ? You cherry pick just the best portion of their fighting life and forget the rest ? It's obvious who's looking for what's convenient here.

But please you're welcome to have an exit because you can't have a discussion with arguments and facts. Very convenient too.

Let's get this thread working like that : you name the 3 best mma wrestlers ever in your opinion + one honorable mention. Here's mine :

1. Khabib
2. GSP
3. Cormier
Honorable mention : Randy Couture

What's yours ?
Cormier over jones?
Why? He outgrappled him, outwrestled him, stuffed his Tds, took him down, and out-clinched him.
If cormier didn’t have the boxing disadvantage it would have looked like ridiculously one-sided beating.

Cormier over jones?
Why? He outgrappled him, outwrestled him, stuffed his Tds, took him down, and out-clinched him.
If cormier didn’t have the boxing disadvantage it would have looked like ridiculously one-sided beating.

Because this is meant to be an evaluation of a mma wrestling career as a whole, not as individual matchups. If it was as you said then Brock Lesnar would be above Randy and Hendricks would be above GSP. But we know they're not better mma wrestlers than them.

Let's get this thread working like that : you name the 3 best mma wrestlers ever in your opinion + one honorable mention. Here's mine :

1. Khabib
2. GSP
3. Cormier
Honorable mention : Randy Couture

What's yours ?
*Cain Prime

tumblr_m4v8dyplHY1qzkmw2o1_400.gif

caingif.gif

*Bellator Askren
*Khabib

Cain is my favorite because he nullified a scary wrestler like Brock, his dominance wasn't just against Strikers with ridiculous TDD.

1. Tibau (won the grappling exchanges against Khabib)
2. Hendricks (won the grappling exchanges with GSP)
3. Fitch (wrestling heavy style, who had a great career into his 40's)

Oh Cejudo is a nice one. I hard a hard time deciding for an honorable mention between him and Randy. But Randy manhandling tim sylvia, Chuck and Tito in their prime makes him the most effective wrestler to me.
Thinking back most people obviously think of him as triple C but to think he was a freestyle wrestling gold medalist in the Olympics is an insane accomplishment.

I think Cain Prime can impose his Wrestling against any Man, even DC said this guy is a monster.

sad that the injuries destroyed his body.

if we're talking about straight mma wrestling, not wrestling credentials outside mma it's
Khabib
Askren
GSP

Askren was a great MMA wrestler. However, in the big leagues he got choked out by superior grappler and KOed by a fighter who exploited his predictable wrestling.

I don't agree with guys like Cejudo and Romero, especially Yoel. Of course they have great credentials but both turned into mostly standup fighters. For me that's why Khabib is #1.
I just think if we are talking pure wrestling Romero and Cejudo got gold and silver medals in the Olympics that's as good as you can get. They won't be as good as they were not training it as much but when they did wrestle and win those medals I think they have to be mentioned.

I just think if we are talking pure wrestling Romero and Cejudo got gold and silver medals in the Olympics that's as good as you can get. They won't be as good as they were not training it as much but when they did wrestle and win those medals I think they have to be mentioned.
The topic was MMA wrestlers. I remember Romero taking down Weidman easily and spinning behind him like Chris wasn't moving but i've watched most of Romero's fights and consider him a standup fighter in MMA. I don't remember him even trying to take down Izzy (see Jan's fight with Izzy). I don't agree with including them over guys like Khabib, GSP and even a guy like Jon Fitch.

The topic was MMA wrestlers. I remember Romero taking down Weidman easily and spinning behind him like Chris wasn't moving but i've watched most of Romero's fights and consider him a standup fighter in MMA. I don't remember him even trying to take down Izzy (see Jan's fight with Izzy). I don't agree with including them over guys like Khabib, GSP and even a guy like Jon Fitch.
I misread the title I see now
I would have it Khabib, Jones, Fedor, Cain and GSP
HM goes to Mighty Mouse

When did Romero was an incredible mma wrestler ? I don't remember him getting that many takedowns or using that much wrestling in his last 3 fights if not the last 5.

I can see why you’re questioning. I overlooked those past few fights. My judgement had a lot to do with past fights and accomplishments. Then again, I’ve always shown a little favoritism towards him.

When did Romero was an incredible mma wrestler ? I don't remember him getting that many takedowns or using that much wrestling in his last 3 fights if not the last 5.
Agree 1000%..... decorated af as a wrestler but in that cage - either chose to be a predominant stand up fighter or his wrestling just wasnt as effective as he thought.

I'm tough on gsp ( as I should be) but as far as longevity/ cage wrestling , hes at the top. Ironically doesnt have the background of a yoel or a k-mo.... which makes it that more impressive.

There are a lot of people that can qualify. If I had to make a top 3 it would be:
  • Khabib
  • DC
  • Askren
Honorable mentions:
  • Lesnar
  • Cejudo
  • GSP
  • Johnson
There are others I could've added.

Agree 1000%..... decorated af as a wrestler but in that cage - either chose to be a predominant stand up fighter or his wrestling just wasnt as effective as he thought.

I'm tough on gsp ( as I should be) but as far as longevity/ cage wrestling , hes at the top. Ironically doesnt have the background of a yoel or a k-mo.... which makes it that more impressive.
I think GSP's greatest asset with wrestling was his timing and ability to combine it with his striking. Some guys only do one or the other. GSP would strike with you and time his double leg perfectly. He wasn't just waiting for the takedown though, he had an incredible jab. He's truly a unique fighter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back