Who Are best jitsu players under garcia

Oh hey :) I'll probably see you as i'll get in to the academy half way through the first class. Are you knew to the school?

Thanks for coming through to see me get my ass handed to me. lol

:icon_chee

Marcelo started teaching in NY back in 2005 if memory serves. since then he's moved his school to florida and back. His original school in NY was Alliance where he had a few good american students.

the one that first pops into my head is Andrew McInnes who's currently a brown belt under marcelo and teaches at his florida academy. He's been very succesful in no-gi competition and pro-divisions on the east coast

Another honorable mention could go to David Bass from Marcelo's first teaching location in NY (Alliance). David got his purple belt after winning the mundials at blue, then went straight into doing well in pro-divisions and winning the no-gi pans at lightweight and open weight.

Andrew is an extremely talented purple belt under Marcelo who trained in Florida for an extended time and lives in Canada. The brown belt you reference is Henrique Resende who is now a black belt prompted my Fabio Gurgel and runs Marcelo

Paul Schreiner is the black belt who now teaches at Marcelo's (and trains under him). He moved out from California over the summer. (The IBJJF spelled his name wrong on the nogi pan list. In fact the whole results list is screwed up in different places for some reason. Notice the men's names under some of the female divisions.)

Henrique Resende is the black belt who runs Marcelo's academy in Florida. He's pretty good and most likely would be considered Marcelo's top student. Marcelo's wife is supposed to be pretty good although she hasn't competed in a little while. And Emily Kwok is now under Marcelo.

I don't know that he's been open long enough to have a bunch of top students since that takes years to cultivate. But I bet if you give it another year or two, he'll be producing some.

As most people have already said, Marcelo has a bunch of very good students.

Not only is he an amazing competitor, but he has been teaching since he was a blue belt (in Brazil), and is an amazing instructor and coach. He routinely has world champions (Gi / No Gi), UFC fighters (Mark Bocek, Hermes Franca, Kurt Pelligrino, etc), etc come to his academy to train and learn from him.

This past Pan Am No Gi tourney in NYC, his academy won the first place for Masters/Seniors and Women's division- an excellent achievement given the relatively short time he's been there.

I am confident that within the next few years, you will see a bunch of his students begin winning big tournaments- he trains them hard, and like I said, teaches them fantastic stuff.

This month he has Gabi and Luana visiting from Fabio Gurgels in preparation for the No Gi worlds (In response to a past posts- I'm pretty sure these two still rep Alliance/Fabio Gurgel, they were wearing MGinaction patches at the worlds).

Marcelo's wife is supposed to be pretty good although she hasn't competed in a little while.

Marcelo's wife, Tatiana, has awesome bjj. In fact, she is Fabio Gurgel's first women black belt...quite an achievement. I believe she got 3rd at the worlds when she was a purple or brown belt (when the purple/brown/black belts were grouped together).

Back in Brazil, she used to compete all the time, but she's now really busy helping run the school. However, she still mixes it up quite well with everyone else during class time.

Even more importantly, she quite possibly the nicest person I've met. You know how they say "behind every great man there's a great woman", in this case, Marcelo has Tatiana!

Josh Waitzkin is a brown belt under Marcelo and got second in his division at the NoGi Pans. He beat a brown belt named Izzy Reyes from Carlson's by advantage and Izzy is a badass.

He's got more of a claim to fame than that! The guy was also a chess prodigy as a kid, and the movie Searching for Bobby Fischer was actually based on him.

Joshua Waitzkin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He has a book out called the Art of Learning too which I am hoping to pick up soon. A chapter in "A Fighter's Mind" is devoted to him also.

He's got more of a claim to fame than that! The guy was also a chess prodigy as a kid, and the movie Searching for Bobby Fischer was actually based on him.

Joshua Waitzkin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He has a book out called the Art of Learning too which I am hoping to pick up soon. A chapter in "A Fighter's Mind" is devoted to him also.

I'm pretty curious about his BJJ career. He is a chess champ and a world Tai Chi push hands champion. A few years ago, he stated his goal was to win the mundials by 2012 (I think or in 2011.)

I am just curious how he is progressing towards his goal.

I am currently reading his book. It provides some amazing insights from a guy who has lived a pretty intense life.

I want to pick up his Chess Strategies book...

Andrew is an extremely talented purple belt under Marcelo who trained in Florida for an extended time and lives in Canada. The brown belt you reference is Henrique Resende who is now a black belt prompted my Fabio Gurgel and runs Marcelo’s academy in south Florida. Henrique just won gold at his weight the NYC No-Gi Championship.

my bad then, though i meant andrew. i was just confusing his rank and place of employment. i have heard good things about henrique also though, and probably should have mentioned him. didn't realize he got his black belt and won the no-gi pans either.

andrew has been apurple for a verylong time.

Back