Who Are best jitsu players under garcia

I think I have seen Gabi Garcia who is a champion female black belt sporting Marcelo Garcia patches on her gi. I do not know however whether she is a black belt under him or how regularly they train together.

Isn't his school fairly new? Only a few years old right?

His school opened in Sept, 2009 (per Wikipedia)....I think its a bit premature to be asking this question.

Plus, why are you starting multiple threads on the same topic?

Marcelo started teaching in NY back in 2005 if memory serves. since then he's moved his school to florida and back. His original school in NY was Alliance where he had a few good american students.

the one that first pops into my head is Andrew McInnes who's currently a brown belt under marcelo and teaches at his florida academy. He's been very succesful in no-gi competition and pro-divisions on the east coast

Another honorable mention could go to David Bass from Marcelo's first teaching location in NY (Alliance). David got his purple belt after winning the mundials at blue, then went straight into doing well in pro-divisions and winning the no-gi pans at lightweight and open weight.

I think I have seen Gabi Garcia who is a champion female black belt sporting Marcelo Garcia patches on her gi. I do not know however whether she is a black belt under him or how regularly they train together.

Yes, Gabi trains with Marcelo. She was in class just two days ago.

We are gonna have alot of talent coming out of the school soon :)

emily kwok competes under marcelo

i have a question: When marcelo competes, he competes under alliance. when his students compete they compete under marcelo garcia.

are marcelo garcia's students considered part of alliance?

emily kwok competes under marcelo

i have a question: When marcelo competes, he competes under alliance. when his students compete they compete under marcelo garcia.

are marcelo garcia's students considered part of alliance?

Nope.

EDIT: Not necessarily. I know Gabi is/was under Alliance and she now trains under Marcelo because of his ties to Alliance. Being under Marcelo doesn't automatically make you Alliance though.

Last edited:
Nope.

EDIT: Not necessarily. I know Gabi is/was under Alliance and she now trains under Marcelo because of his ties to Alliance. Being under Marcelo doesn't automatically make you Alliance though.

Hey it's me Stephen. Who are you? and no I can't make it to fundamental anymore because of work. I'll be there for the advance class.

Gabi and Luanna are still under Alliance. They just came up to train with Marcelo, that doesn't mean they are under marcelo now.

Hey it's me Stephen. Who are you? and no I can't make it to fundamental anymore because of work. I'll be there for the advance class.

Gabi and Luanna are still under Alliance. They just came up to train with Marcelo, that doesn't mean they are under marcelo now.

I hope not. I get the feeling Gabi could rip my head off if she so chose. :icon_cry2

I'm Robert. I'm the new black guy who wears a black Fuji Gi/MG rash & shorts.

There's another black guy who wears a black gi, but he's bald and he's built like a Buick.

Josh Waitzkin is a brown belt under Marcelo and got second in his division at the NoGi Pans. He beat a brown belt named Izzy Reyes from Carlson's by advantage and Izzy is a badass.

I hope not. I get the feeling Gabi could rip my head off if she so chose. :icon_cry2

I'm Robert. I'm the new black guy who wears a black Fuji Gi/MG rash & shorts.

There's another black guy who wears a black gi, but he's bald and he's built like a Buick.

Oh hey :) I'll probably see you as i'll get in to the academy half way through the first class. Are you knew to the school?

Josh is very good!

Clearly one of the best talents at Marcelos is this guy:

OPEN CLASS

FIRST James Robert Ables Marcelo Garcia

SECOND Mark a. Staniszewski Team Combat BJJ

THIRD Andrew M. Cargill American Top Team

THIRD James Robert Ables Marcelo Garcia

When you win not only first in the black belt open, but also go ahead and tie for third all at the same time, you have accomplished a feat few will do :)

I assume this is a typo, but still kind of cool..."Yeah, I took first and third at the tourny".

Josh Waitzkin is a brown belt under Marcelo and got second in his division at the NoGi Pans. He beat a brown belt named Izzy Reyes from Carlson's by advantage and Izzy is a badass.

And Daniel Wanderley beat a MG black belt (Paul Shenbir) in the finals of masters black medio pesado at the same tournament.

Paul Schreiner is the black belt who now teaches at Marcelo's (and trains under him). He moved out from California over the summer. (The IBJJF spelled his name wrong on the nogi pan list. In fact the whole results list is screwed up in different places for some reason. Notice the men's names under some of the female divisions.)

Henrique Resende is the black belt who runs Marcelo's academy in Florida. He's pretty good and most likely would be considered Marcelo's top student. Marcelo's wife is supposed to be pretty good although she hasn't competed in a little while. And Emily Kwok is now under Marcelo.

I don't know that he's been open long enough to have a bunch of top students since that takes years to cultivate. But I bet if you give it another year or two, he'll be producing some.

Back