Who’s the 2nd greatest MW ever?

Istryker

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Anderson Silva is the consensus greatest middleweight of all time and some argue he IS the greatest mixed martial artist ever but i was just wondering who is considered the second best mw? Middleweight is historically really stacked and has some great names there.

I want to say either Mousasi or Luke Rockhold have a great claim at being the right behind Andy as the MW goat if that makes sense.

What does sherdog think? <{fry}>

Tough one. I'll go with Hollywood Hendo.
There are many arguments that can be made for this question, though.

Dan Henderson or Rich Franklin

Bisping deserves some love though avenging two of his losses though (Henderson and Rockhold) He has a great resume

what big name has he ever beat other than chuck?
He faught in the UFC.

He was the UFC Middle weight champion.

He also beat Wanderlei Silva.

And also has a win over the only guy to beat Jon Jones in Matt Hamill.

Last edited:
Fedor is the best middle weight who ever lived

Dan Henderson and Rich Franklin are 2a and 2b

For the people that say Weidman, he was KOd 5 times in 6 fights during his prime

Avenged his loss to Hendo by blocking punches with his face. Post fight pic:

85CC7FDD-58F6-412A-A8AB-7FAFB5E18894.jpeg

Sure he won. But the above and below images are what most remember...

64B74FC3-AC39-41C8-AE06-FC3E31A5FD9F.jpeg

For now its hard to pick between Hendo or Moose for me

But soon it will be easy when Stylebender schools Costa he will be nr 2

It’s Yoel. Look at the skills and look at the fact that he has never been blown away in a fight at MW and that his only convincing loss is the loss in the first Whittaker fight. He’s put every opponent he has fought through absolute hell. The belts cloud people’s judgements. Yoel causes any and every middleweight ever a ton of problems. I doubt many people will agree but in my book I’d seriously put him as #2.

Yoel would wreck Rich Franklin and would wreck most of the guys who were Franklin’s signature wins. Franklin was a good fighter but he just would not beat many of the elite middleweights of the past 5 years. In fact I think he’d be blown away by them.

Whittaker is up there but Yoel kicked his ass in the rematch and then he got blown away by Izzy and didn’t look on his level. Something something about Yoel having a bad eye and ignoring the fact that Whittaker was on his last legs on three occasions. He’s certainly one of the best ever already but I think to get to #2 he would have to beat Adesanya or at least beat Gastelum and Costa and hope that Adesanya is beaten by Costa. I see Whittaker unfortunately falling off and declining.

Weidman has the best win at MW ever but apart from that he didn’t do much. His win over Machida is quality but then he beat a deflated Vitor and then was destroyed in every fight since except for getting a nice win over Gastelum. I can’t take him seriously as the #2 after seeing him get exposed time after time in his prime against opponents who were in their primes. Wins over Maia and Munoz on his run to the title are cool but I really feel that he was a product of good timing more than anything else. You just can’t get blown away in your prime the amount of times he has either.

I don’t think it’s Hendo. He’s right up there but he had his losses and I just don’t find him as impressive as Yoel when we are talking about middleweights. Hendo at least put in work over a number of years and picked up several good wins.

It’s not Jacare. Good fighter with a lot of really solid wins and consistency over the years, but unfortunately he wasn’t given the opportunities he deserved. Great fighter though and I had him beating Gastelum which would have been another excellent win.

Luke has some great wins and only 2 defeats at MW in his prime but the gaping holes in his game mean that he can’t be #2. He’d get murdered by Whittaker, Adesanya, Costa, and Prime Anderson. I also think somebody like Rich Franklin could also beat him.

Mousasi has some good wins but he’s too hot and cold. Jacare is probably his best win but after that he has wins against fighters who were mostly out of their primes. Vitor. Hendo, even Weidman etc.

Vitor hasn’t been mentioned but he fought 9 times as a middleweight in what could be considered his prime and won 8 fights all by finish and only lost once to the best ever. Vitor was juiced but who wasn’t. Guy gets underrated sometimes I feel.

Adesanya will most likely become #2 after a few more fights as time is on his side and there’s not really any match ups for him that I would consider nightmare ones.

Last edited:
Whittaker. Beat prime Romero and prime Jacare.

Weidman and Franklin have the most defenses after Silva. Hendo is always considered.

Back