Whittaker's MW resume is arguably better than Silva's

Are you Japanese or something?? Cause Yushin was a garbage can, his best win is Nate marquardt that’s not good.
Yushin was a top ranked MW for years. Held wins over Evan Tanner and Hector Lombard.

I'll play ball....

Dan Henderson was the reigning Pride champion. Nate Marquardt was a long time King of Pancrase and arguably in his prime with a very good team at the time. Rich Franklin defended his title what? 3-4 times when he fought Anderson including dismantling David Loiseau over 25 mins (who was never the same after that fight).

Off the top of my head.

Hendo in his prime would do very well against any of the opponents that Whittaker defeated except for Jacare (submissions) I think. Went toe-to-toe with a prime Rampage is a huge plus in his resume.

Sucks that Vitor wasn't in his TRT form when he faced off against SIlva though. He looked rather deflated in there.
Vitor was on TRT for the Silva fight. It wasn’t until after he fought Rockhold that he came off. He was scheduled to fight Weidman and pulled out due to the new ban, in order to adjust his body.

“Belfort was expected to face UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman at UFC 173.[31] However, Belfort chose to withdraw from the fight following the Nevada State Athletic Commission's ban on exemptions for testosterone replacement therapy and was replaced by Lyoto Machida.[32] Subsequently, Belfort revealed that he had failed a random drug test in February, due to elevated levels of testosterone.[33]

hi noobie, Anderson got more than that if you look his whole MMA record since the beginning not only in the UFC, add to your list Okami, Carlos Newton, Alex Stiebling and Sakurai, those guys were among the best when they fought Silva
Somehow beating Yoel in questionable decisions is now better than reigning champion for 2500 days.

Vitor was on TRT for the Silva fight. It wasn’t until after he fought Rockhold that he came off. He was scheduled to fight Weidman and pulled out due to the new ban, in order to adjust his body.

“Belfort was expected to face UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman at UFC 173.[31] However, Belfort chose to withdraw from the fight following the Nevada State Athletic Commission's ban on exemptions for testosterone replacement therapy and was replaced by Lyoto Machida.[32] Subsequently, Belfort revealed that he had failed a random drug test in February, due to elevated levels of testosterone.[33]
No he wasn't

Vitor's body looked soft vs Silva

He hopped on it before the Bisping fight and ended after he KO'd Hendo

You guys are judging Silva's wins like they weren't good fighters. Silva ate up every style and fighter in his era and looked better than anyone. He was close to 40 when he was KO'd and was clowning.

lol no

Maia alone trumps everyone on Whittakers list besides maybe Jacare and Romero, this shouldn't be a discussion.

Silva's notable wins
- Henderson
- Vitor
- Franklin x2
- Maia
- Chael x2
- Marquardt

Whittaker's wins
- Romero x2
- Jacare
- Cannonier
- Brunson
- Till
- Hall

Honestly among all GOAT contenders, Silva has the weakest resume by far. Whittaker, Yoel, and Izzy have cases for being above him on MW rankings.

Strikeforce had a better MW division than the UFC in 2013 and their top guys would've crushed Silva on the ground (Rockhold, Jacare, Kennedy).

I give Khabib a lot of shit but even his resume is better than Anderson's

Other than giving shit to great fighters why wouldn't you just stfu?

GSPs is much better. Anderson fans would love to cite polls if they favored Anderson. Since they don't, suddenly general consensus "doesn't count"

I was watching back then, and most people at the time weren't arguing the competition was equal. They were arguing that Silvas "dominance" put him ahead of gsp. It's revisionist history to say they faced equal competition. People certainly weren't saying it back then.

I don't put much credibility on polls and general consensus because it's not a accurate gauge. There is favoritism, there is not much thought put into a pick, there is people just riding the wave of mass perception and there is people who just have no clue about the topic.

No one is re-writing history. We are just looking at the competition they fought and assessing who's was better. I watched back then and well before that and I can tell you that not many were debating who's competition was better. The talks of who's division was better started beyond the 2010s once both guys cemented their legacies. I recall that Anderson had the edge early in the goat talks, but that was for a couple reasons. One, he was pretty dominant over his competition and two, GSP had a couple tougher performances vs Penn and the loss to Serra. So GSP's early title run didn't get off to the start that Andersons did. By the time GSP won his belt and defended the first time Aug of 08 , Anderson already was going into his 5th defense. But even with that said, not many were talking competition but rather just performance. Again, the comparison just wasn't there cause GSP was a bit behind. He caught up nicely post 2010 when he faced the best WWs. Both Andy and GSP had meh competition from 08 to 10.

But like I said. IMO, both guys had an equal level of comp when considering their title defense or title reigns. Whenever I see this topic everyone lists all their wins and compares Leitas to Hardy. Let's be honest, Lutter, Cote, Leitas and Serra, Hardy and Diaz are not even worth comparing here. They were filler defenses during their divisions being revamped.

It really comes down to their 7-8 best wins. Andy had Rich 2x, Sonnen 2x, Hendo, Vitor, Nate and Okami. GSP had Hughes 2x, Condit, Shields, Hendricks, Fitch, Alves and Penn. If you really compare these guys, it's pretty balanced. Both beat the divisional goats at the time in Hughes and Franklin. Hughes being the greater fighter IMO. Both beat an all time great in Hendo and Penn, but I think we'll agree that Hendo is higher on the list and certainly a more valuable win in the respective weight class. And you're left with 5 other guys that pretty much balance out.

You wanna favor one over the other slightly, I don't mind. But to say way better? Give me a break.

Resume is hard to judge but there is no doubt Silva was a more dominant fighter in his prime. The eye test shows me this.

Hendo in his prime would do very well against any of the opponents that Whittaker defeated except for Jacare (submissions) I think. Went toe-to-toe with a prime Rampage is a huge plus in his resume.

Sucks that Vitor wasn't in his TRT form when he faced off against SIlva though. He looked rather deflated in there.

Hendo might be able to keep it standing vs. Jacare and win. He beat Palhares. I disagree about Vitor, though. He'd been doing various PEDs on and off for years and was still pretty strong when he fought Silva. It was the later, 40-year old post-TRT Vitor who fought Weidman and Mousasi who was pretty much worthless.

I don't put much credibility on polls and general consensus because it's not a accurate gauge. There is favoritism, there is not much thought put into a pick, there is people just riding the wave of mass perception and there is people who just have no clue about the topic.

No one is re-writing history. We are just looking at the competition they fought and assessing who's was better. I watched back then and well before that and I can tell you that not many were debating who's competition was better. The talks of who's division was better started beyond the 2010s once both guys cemented their legacies. I recall that Anderson had the edge early in the goat talks, but that was for a couple reasons. One, he was pretty dominant over his competition and two, GSP had a couple tougher performances vs Penn and the loss to Serra. So GSP's early title run didn't get off to the start that Andersons did. By the time GSP won his belt and defended the first time Aug of 08 , Anderson already was going into his 5th defense. But even with that said, not many were talking competition but rather just performance. Again, the comparison just wasn't there cause GSP was a bit behind. He caught up nicely post 2010 when he faced the best WWs. Both Andy and GSP had meh competition from 08 to 10.

But like I said. IMO, both guys had an equal level of comp when considering their title defense or title reigns. Whenever I see this topic everyone lists all their wins and compares Leitas to Hardy. Let's be honest, Lutter, Cote, Leitas and Serra, Hardy and Diaz are not even worth comparing here. They were filler defenses during their divisions being revamped.

It really comes down to their 7-8 best wins. Andy had Rich 2x, Sonnen 2x, Hendo, Vitor, Nate and Okami. GSP had Hughes 2x, Condit, Shields, Hendricks, Fitch, Alves and Penn. If you really compare these guys, it's pretty balanced. Both beat the divisional goats at the time in Hughes and Franklin. Hughes being the greater fighter IMO. Both beat an all time great in Hendo and Penn, but I think we'll agree that Hendo is higher on the list and certainly a more valuable win in the respective weight class. And you're left with 5 other guys that pretty much balance out.

You wanna favor one over the other slightly, I don't mind. But to say way better? Give me a break.
Hendo is a great win but it falls off pretty damn hard after that. In a comparative sense they fought the respective best in their divisions. Only ww was far more stacked than mw with higher quality fighters. And after clearing the ufcs ww division, the ufc acquired every ww champ from rival orgs and gsp beat all of those guys too.

He certainly has a good case. But impossible to place him higher, if you actually saw Silva in action back then. The competition may have been lackluster, but he also destoyed all of them.

Don't forget Silva fighitng the #4 ranked LHW at the time (Forrest) who had recently been champ and had wins over Shogun and Rampage...and making him look like a guy who hopped off a barstool. I'll be impressed if Whittaker does something similar.

Hendo is a great win but it falls off pretty damn hard after that. In a comparative sense they fought the respective best in their divisions. Only ww was far more stacked than mw with higher quality fighters. And after clearing the ufcs ww division, the ufc acquired every ww champ from rival orgs and gsp beat all of those guys too.

It does not fall off, Rich Franklin is a phenomenal win and as good as anyone on GSPs resume, the man is a top 5 MW all time. Same with Chael Sonnen, I wouldn't put Chael top 5, but he is top 7-8 and those count for four of Andy's wins. You have Belfort as well which is a top level win. Okami and Nate by no means are weak MWs, they were top 10 all time MWs when Anderson fought em. People don't recognize what a good win Nate Marquart was at the time. Anderson fought better competition early, his middle run was weaker and then finished off strong, GSP on the other hand started well with Hughes, but then the middle was weak and his run got stronger as he went along. It's a balance. People just remember to more recent. But even considering their last three defenses.....Sonnen, Okami and Vitor vs Hendricks, Condit and Diaz? Again, very even.

They got Nick Diaz who as I mentioned shouldn't even be mentioned. The guy was a .500 record at WW in the UFC and has maybe 1 top 10 win? Shields and Condit were champs from other organizations and those guys count as quality wins. But if you're gonna bring up champs from other organizations you gotta consider Sonnen who like Condit was WEC champ, and Nate Marquart who was Pancrease champ.

I have pretty much said my piece, these things can be debated to the death. Once again, you wanna give GSP the close edge, go for it and I won't debate it. But let's not say anyone was much better.

It does not fall off, Rich Franklin is a phenomenal win and as good as anyone on GSPs resume, the man is a top 5 MW all time. Same with Chael Sonnen, I wouldn't put Chael top 5, but he is top 7-8 and those count for four of Andy's wins. You have Belfort as well which is a top level win. Okami and Nate by no means are weak MWs, they were top 10 all time MWs when Anderson fought em. People don't recognize what a good win Nate Marquart was at the time. Anderson fought better competition early, his middle run was weaker and then finished off strong, GSP on the other hand started well with Hughes, but then the middle was weak and his run got stronger as he went along. It's a balance. People just remember to more recent. But even considering their last three defenses.....Sonnen, Okami and Vitor vs Hendricks, Condit and Diaz? Again, very even.

They got Nick Diaz who as I mentioned shouldn't even be mentioned. The guy was a .500 record at WW in the UFC and has maybe 1 top 10 win? Shields and Condit were champs from other organizations and those guys count as quality wins. But if you're gonna bring up champs from other organizations you gotta consider Sonnen who like Condit was WEC champ, and Nate Marquart who was Pancrease champ.

I have pretty much said my piece, these things can be debated to the death. Once again, you wanna give GSP the close edge, go for it and I won't debate it. But let's not say anyone was much better.
Gsp has multiple wins better than Rich. Hughes and Shields off the top of my head. Chael is a good fighter, was elite for a time, but is still pretty highly overrated. Many losses in his prime. Nate is another good but not great fighter. The Belfort he fought wasn't the raided out hulk that tore through the division.

I just disagree with a lot of your points here, no disrespect.

If he beats Izzy then maybe we can say his resume is better than Silva.

Back